Up arrow in top right corner of note in mobile app

I have several notes that have a snippet in the upper right corner with an up arrow, and these notes will not sync to my computer. I've opened them and re-saved them, and even tried tagging them or moving them to other notebooks, but no luck. What does the arrow mean, and how can I close the note on my mobile and get it to sync?

• Level 5*

First try pressing sync icon on the home screen. Also, check to see if sync on wifi only is checked in Settings - General. If it is and you don't have wifi access things won't sync. If neither of these work go to Settings - Activity Log and see if there is an error of some sort.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5

Actually, I've always found that little up-arrow in the corner of a note to be both intuitive and obvious: it means this note has not yet been synced, which can happen for various reasons (as Cal's post suggests). But of course, what is intuitive WRT computers is generally not "intuitive" in the strict or biological sense, but a matter of individual experience, perception, and preference.

As for where Evernote's reply is, these are mainly user-to-user forums. The EN support staff do sometimes offer comments, but not predictably (in my experience). Since the OP himself didn't follow up, any EN staff looking at this thread may have assumed that he had no interest in pursuing it further.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, davidtderrick said:

More to the point, why are we having this discussion? Why is it not obvious? Why are unintuitive and unexplained features introduced? And where is Evernote's reply? 

Well this short thread is almost three years old.  Nowadays EN works like most IOS apps, drag down to sync.  However intuitive that is or isn't.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

However intuitive that is or isn't

Very little in computers is intuitive. It's most all learned behavior. If there are real-world experiences that we can piggyback our brains onto, then that's kinda intuitive. But unsynched notes? Didn't learn that at my mama's knee, that's for sure...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Very little in computers is intuitive. It's most all learned behavior. If there are real-world experiences that we can piggyback our brains onto, then that's kinda intuitive. But unsynched notes? Didn't learn that at my mama's knee, that's for sure...

My point exactly!  Intuitive interfaces are what folks get used to doing or become trained through osmosis.  Relative to unsynced notes, yeah, not one of those things with a lot of prep.  All I know is refresh on my browser is that little circle thing and on my phone I drag the screen down, or use F5 or F9 depending upon the app.  ?

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Whether something is "intuitive" to one person or another is not relevant.  Obviously, someone had a question about this topic - so it was not intuitive to him/her.  And, others, too, had similar questions.  Instead, of telling us that it is intuitive to you, which makes no difference to me, why not share some of your vast knowledge and just answer the question and explain?  I cannot get the notes with the arrow in the upper right corner to sync with my computer no matter what I try.  I have the Premium EN acct. so it shouldn't be due to a lack of storage capacity.  The notes are fine, with all images on my iPhone.  But, won't sync properly on my iMac.  Also, I don't know how to find the Settings - Activity Log for Evernote. Please help. Thank you!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TGrublin1 said:

just answer the question and explain?  I cannot get the notes with the arrow in the upper right corner to sync with my computer

In case you missed the point, the arrow indicates the note is in waiting sync stage

The synchronize process is       device <> server  <> device
Your issue is with your device syncing with the server; your computer is not a factor (yet)

>>Also, I don't know how to find the Settings - Activity Log for Evernote.

I recommend you contact Evernote support

Click on the user icon in the side/bottom barIMG_3316.thumb.jpeg.964e5d0c047684e3bf069e72f412f378.jpeg
Click on Settings > Support
You will see selections for Support Request and Activity Log

Thank you very much for this response.  I initially transferred 37 photos onto a single EN note from my iPhone camera roll. All showed up on my iPhone EN app. When I opened and synced my EN app on my iMac Computer, that note only showed 32 of the 37 images (the missing images were shown by a white ? in a blue box). I tried re-syncing, checking the storage for my EN notes and program. (I have purchased the Premium EN, therefore I still have a great deal of storage remaining.) The following morning, I duplicated the note, hoping that it may show up on my computer with all images.  The duplicate contained only 7 of the images - with  30 blue boxes containing white ?'s.  I then tried 4 additional photos on a note from my iPhone.  That note came up with all 4 photos visible on my iMac computer.  2 Days later, I took additional photos and, this time, attempted to put only 10 images/note, beginning by including the missing 5 images that didn't transfer initially. All those images did not sync with my computer - instead were shown as blue boxes with the white ?. Today I attempted again to put only a few photos from my iPhone onto an EN note, and then bring it up on my desktop Mac computer. No luck... blue boxes with white ?'s.  I did notice that, on my iPhone, the notes that were not fully syncing on my computer had the white arrow surrounded by green in the upper right hand corner of the note. That's when I searched for the arrow, rather than the previous searches that I had done for: photos not syncing, missing data on computer from mobile app, etc.  My iPhone and iMac are both attached via WiFi, so that is not an issue.  I have my computer set to sync EN every hour, however, while trying to troubleshoot this problem, I manually synced both my iPhone EN and my desktop iMac EN frequently. Nothing was working today, which was 3 days in. That's when I signed in to this forum and left my frustrated response to the responders who discussed how intuitive EN is rather than giving specific answers to the question to which they were responding.  After receiving your response, I pulled up my EN on my desktop computer, and, low and behold, all photos are present.  So, my questions are: why weren't the photos synced 5 days ago, and why weren't they synced earlier today when I checked??  This is anything but intuitive!! I so appreciate any assistance anyone can give me re: how to smoothly use EN to transfer info. from my iPhone onto my desktop Mac. Thank you.

• Level 5

To slice the elephant into Steaks (no, not me ...), the sync has 3 partners, and 2 stages:

Upsync from the iPhone to the server

Downsync from the server to the Mac

The upsync of a note with a lot of pictures can take a while, because upload speeds are (usually) slower than download. If you want to follow this to find where the problem rests, first create a note on your iPhone with the pics. Note there is a maximum size for a single note of 200MB. Depending on which pics you tried to transfer in one note, this can be already an issue.

The sync is through when the note stops to show the little green triangle, and the spinning wheel at the top right of your screen has stopped spinning.

You can now check the note on the EN server, by logging into your account at the evernote.com website. Everything o.k. there ?

Then you open EN on your Mac. If you want to start the syncing a little later, take it off the net (disable WiFi, if there is no LAN connection). When it is open, get the WiFi running again. The note should start to download now. Wait until it is through, which again depends on your internet speed. Check it.

This is surely not the standard procedure, but it lets you follow how the sync is done step by step. EN will process the note on the server as well, because it will try to OCR the pictures. But this usually does not stop notes from syncing. 

Personally I use iCloud to sync my camera roll between my iPhone, iPad and my Mac. When I have synced larger notes in the past, it was with file content like larger pdfs. So with pictures I have not much experience.