Searching text in images but it is not highlighting

Phil Dunphy

Hi I am new to Evernote!

I just uploaded >10 pages of images of a report and I am trying to do a text search. However it pulls back the note where I saved all the images (using the IOS app) on my Windows desktop but it does not highlight the specific. As you can imagine it is still quite painful trying to then look for it on the images.

My friend stated it highlights/circles it for him on the images where Evernote finds that specific texts. It does not come back with no search found or anything it just does not highlight it.

I am an Evernote Free user but trying to make it user friendly for me before I commit £££.

Many thanks

PD

• Level 5*

Hi.  How are you saving your images?  JPG / PNG / PDF files?  And how are you capturing them?  Scannable / EN App camera / other app?

If you're saving images,  the OCR can be hit and miss and I believe there's a 'tree' of possible meanings because 'house' could also be 'horse' or 'mouse' - it's not possible to show you where the word is found,  because it might be in a list somewhere.

PDF files however are (usually) much clearer,  and many apps can OCR text down to the word,  so you will get your highlights.

Scanned PDF text is best,  because you can convert it to actual text!

Evernote is good,  but it's not a magic wand - you may have to learn more about scanning to use it most effectively.

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/07/18/how-evernotes-image-recognition-works/

EDIT:  -and a free user won't have access to PDF searches - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452

Thank you for your reply :)

I have been using the IOS Evernote App to take a picture of the images, not sure what file format it is capture under but I am taking photos of Word processed reports. It is easier for me to take pictures on the go as I will not use a scanner in my day to day.

• 11 months later...

If you are working for evernote than you are dodging your answers,

iphone takes either png or jpegs - this is the "sort of file" we are using.

i have the same problem - Evernote is not highlighting searches in jpeg/png pictures.

Also sometimes search highlight works but when extra image added to the note it stops highlighting. 

Too bad for app with 50€/year subscription fees.

I want to know what's wrong with you app.

• Level 5*
On 04/09/2016 at 10:10 AM, alpine said:

If you are working for evernote than you are dodging your answers,

iphone takes either png or jpegs - this is the "sort of file" we are using.

i have the same problem - Evernote is not highlighting searches in jpeg/png pictures.

Also sometimes search highlight works but when extra image added to the note it stops highlighting. 

Too bad for app with 50€/year subscription fees.

I want to know what's wrong with you app.

Hi.  I don't work for Evernote,  and I don't use iPhone hence my confusion.  If you're a paying customer I'd suggest you use the contact support link and get some technical assistance.

Archived