Hey Evernote: What about contacts in your Privacy Policy?

I am using Evernote for the first time. I just looked through your privacy policy which, as far as I can see, says nothing about contacts. The first thing the MacOS application did was ask for access to my contacts. What, exactly, do you do with my contact information, and why was it excluded from your privacy policy?  Do you copy them from my devices, or are they only used locally by your apps and applications?

I did check that page.  Did I miss some mention of contacts there?

Also, good heavens, that third party tracking policy!   Buried on the "Cookie Information Page":  https://evernote.com/legal/cookies.php

Google Analytics gets to watch everything you do on Evernote.

Chart beat gets to watch everything you do on Evernote.

"From time to time, we contract with third-party advertising networks" that get to watch everything you do on Evernote, and any time you open an e-mail from Evernote.

How much of my information do Google, Chartbeat, and unnamed third-party advertising networks get, Evernote?

• Level 5*

You're getting that this is a user forum,  right?  Direct answers from Evernote are (usually) few and far between.  There is a comment -

Evernote welcomes your feedback regarding this Privacy Policy. If you have questions, comments or concerns about this Policy, please contact us by email at compliance AT evernote DOT com or postal mail... (with addresses)

Yes, thanks to your helpful first response, I noticed the disguised e-mail address down there at the bottom of the form.  Before I'd noticed that I posted here in the hopes that like virtually any company that cares about their users, they occasionally look at these forums to see what's up.

It's valuable to have this question on the forum because many users have no idea how much tracking goes on.  Do you know how much of your data Google, Chartbeat, and unnamed third-party advertising networks are receiving?  Are they receiving process summary data of the content of your notes?  Are they receiving the actual notes?  Who are the "third-party advertising partners", and what to THEY do with the data they harvest by tracking you across Evernote's service?  Evernote does not make that clear on their cookie policy page.  They also don't mention whether or not they copy your contact database for marketing or other uses.  Posting this question here might raise user awareness of these privacy concerns.  Ideally Evernote would chime in and clarify these issues for all of us.

I have e-mailed the address you indicated, and will return to the forum should they respond.

• Level 5

They also don't mention whether or not they copy your contact database for marketing or other uses.

https://evernote.com/legal/data-protection.php:

Everything you put into Evernote is private by default. We are not a “big data” company and do not try to make money from your content. Our systems automatically analyze your data in order to power Evernote features, such as search and related notes, and to tell you about important features and products that we think will enhance your Evernote experience, but we never give or sell your content to any third party for advertising purposes.

Thank you so much for replying!

Two questions left:

1. That doesn't address what information you DO explicitly let Google, Chartbeat, and "third-party advertising partners" access in your cookie policy.  What is the exact nature of the information they collect?  For example, do they see search queries when I search for information in my notes?  That would be very bad since it reveals the nature of my content and a violation of my trust.  Do they get any information at all when I use the desktop or mobile app, or only when I use the web interface?

2. Just to be super clear, are the contacts that your app requests access to are considered my content, or do you consider my content to be just the contents of notes?  Are my search queries across my own notes also my content?

Again, thank you very much for answering these questions.

Archived