iOS Evernote Share Sheet Slow Outside of Safari

I am constantly looking for ways to further integrate Evernote into my life. One way is trying to incorporate everything I read or want to read. Saving articles from the web to Evernote is a dream since the advent of iOS share sheets. This works just the way as expected and performs beautifully.

However, there are times when people post links in other apps (like Twitter for example) that I would like to save directly to Evernote. When I use the clipper from the share sheet in any app other than Safari, it takes forever for the content to either come up in the share sheet or save to Evernote. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just me? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been baffled by this ever since the share sheet functionality for Evernote was introduced, and I can't imagine it being useable for anyone. I would say that for me, most times (even from Safari) it takes forever to populate the card, and sometimes it simply never does. I've tried asking Evernote about it numerous times, but I've never heard a response.

What I do now is just use Pocket's share sheet action, which saves instantly, and I have an IFTTT action set up to check pocket every 15 minutes and add any new cards to Evernote. It's roundabout but works way better than Evernote's native sharing.

My only explanation for the reason it's lasted so long like this is that nobody at Evernote actually uses it? I can't imagine that's the case, but if anyone did, they can't possibly be satisfied with how long it takes. The worst part is that the share card is modal and you can't do anything else until it populates.

• Level 5

Hi,

The clipper in the share sheet is updated frequently and can be problematic on some sites and apps as each individual app passes different information into the share sheet. Twitter has been particularly painful for us based on how their mobile site is constructed (if you share from a Twitter app, you generally get the mobile url passed in). We attack these issues as best we can based on the technology available to us as users identify issues. If you have an issue with a particular site or app, please let us know, and we'll see what we can do. Sometimes we can make improvements (Twitter sharing into Evernote has improved, but still not where I'd like to see it), and sometimes we can't (based on what is passed to us from a web site or other app).

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks for the reply Chuck! While that does make sense, perhaps the implementation could be improved? It's definitely a fact that anything shared to Pocket using the share sheet happens instantly - it does not matter what the source is. That makes me think that instead of some heavy client-side parsing, Pocket is doing the parsing server-side after being passed a simple URL as the share source. It makes me think that very fast sharing to Evernote is possible, but the brunt of the work is currently being put on the device?

For reference, I usually see very long sharing times with Tweetbot and Safari. But to be honest I rarely use Evernote sharing anymore because the Pocket -> IFTTT -> Evernote sharing is always instant, no matter what the source content is.

• 1 month later...

I have same experience on iOS share sheet (from Flipboard, most even relatively simple pages - never mind wired.com - take more than a minute !!!! to complete and often the phone goes back to sleep before the share sheet clipper can do its job -> note never recorded)

Workaround: use email option on share sheet to share to your Evernote account. Still works. 

Find what your Evernote email is by going to (Evernote iOS app) Settings > General > Evernote Email Address. I added mine to my address book so it autocompletes so I don't have to remember or type the whole thing every time I send a note to Evernote.

I have same experience on iOS share sheet (from Flipboard, most even relatively simple pages - never mind wired.com - take more than a minute !!!! to complete and often the phone goes back to sleep before the share sheet clipper can do its job -> note never recorded)

Workaround: use email option on share sheet to share to your Evernote account. Still works. 

Find what your Evernote email is by going to (Evernote iOS app) Settings > General > Evernote Email Address. I added mine to my address book so it autocompletes so I don't have to remember or type the whole thing every time I send a note to Evernote.

Thanks for sharing Toad. That workaround is what I used to do for a couple years, but now Evernote charges for the email option. The thing is, that email service is proof that Evernote could handle the saving and parsing server-side, but for some reason is not doing this, and the share sheet locks up or takes forever processing on the phone. I still use the Pocket sharesheet for everything because it saves instantly, no matter what the source is, and I have an IFTTT recipe to forward Pocket stuff to Evernote. In fact it's faster than the email service before.

• 1 month later...

@Chuck, I experience the same thing in ios sharing to evernote is useless but since collecting/clipping/sharing to evernote is your core functionality, I feel a bit screwed as a premium paying customer with your answer.

Thanks to shadiradio I use Pocket now. Maybe, instead of asking us, you can better ask the people from Pocket how they succeed where you fail and deliver something workable to your customers.

• 1 year later...

Archived