Paste big blocks of text - beach ball, force quit, have to do it in a browser

Recently clean installed 10.10.4, new hard drive, Evernote v 6.1.1 (452243 Direct).

1,000 lines of text, just words, no special formatting, copy from text editor paste to EN, works.

5,000 lines of text, EN hangs. I let it go for 5 minutes, fan starts up.

I used to be able to past large blocks of text into EN, what happened?

Pasting to the browser version works fine.

Is there a way to paste large blocks of text into EN (Mac)?

• Ex Employees

I'm unable to reproduce this on 6.1.1 - pasting a 5,000 line block of text from a text editor (TextEdit, in my case) takes about 2 seconds. 

Where are you pasting it from? Can you also give some more information about your Mac?

I'm unable to reproduce this on 6.1.1 - pasting a 5,000 line block of text from a text editor (TextEdit, in my case) takes about 2 seconds. 

Where are you pasting it from? Can you also give some more information about your Mac?

From TextWrangler. Just typed in "The quick brown fox ... " and kept copying and pasting it.

2009 Macbook Pro, 8GB.

• Ex Employees

Got it, now I can reproduce somewhat - pasting 5,000 lines of text from TextWrangler took about 2 minutes (and the app was unresponsive during that time). However after the 2 minutes it pasted fine and the app became responsive again. 

Pasting it from TextWrangler to TextEdit, then from TextEdit to Evernote took about 5 seconds, so that may be a workaround for now if this is something you do often.

I'll see what I can find out about why pasting specifically from TextWrangler is causing the app to hang. 

Got it, now I can reproduce somewhat - pasting 5,000 lines of text from TextWrangler took about 2 minutes (and the app was unresponsive during that time). However after the 2 minutes it pasted fine and the app became responsive again. 

Pasting it from TextWrangler to TextEdit, then from TextEdit to Evernote took about 5 seconds, so that may be a workaround for now if this is something you do often.

I'll see what I can find out about why pasting specifically from TextWrangler is causing the app to hang. 

Thanks. Actually, I get the same result w/TextEdit. However, I found that if I open a large text file in Pages, cut and paste works, regardless of size of buffer.

• 4 months later...

Archived