I Am/Was Looking to switch from OneNote

Slow and steady wins the race.

Admittedly, there is a learning curve for those who are looking to squeeze a lot out of Evernote... but the learning curve for beginners is slight. It might be confusing, simply because one has gotten so used to OneNote or some similar service. 

I've been learning a lot about Adobe InDesign's ins and outs recently. It's a pain in the butt. But is't really useful. Evernote's way more user friendly than InDesign (unrelated publishing software)... so you're good to go. A little bit of reading up and a minimum of effort will go a long way. If all else fails, check back here at the forum for help from other Evernote users... for problem solving, workflow tips, advice, etc.

I say you assess your needs first. If you're a physics student who needs to take intensely formatted notes - stick with onenote - evernote kinda sucks with formatting notes. 

But if you need evernote as a massive cabinet of reference information - evernote completely kills onenote

When I switched it was pretty tough but i eventually set up a system that I cannot imagine living without. 

Organize your notes in 2 ways - Notebooks and Tags

Notebooks are the physical location of your notes so keep them super high level - for example, some of my notebook names are "Home Reference" "Work Reference" "Useful Emails" whatever. You will barely use notebooks anyway. 

With Tags, you should have several categories - What, What, Where. 

That way you can search things like "Show me all notes with [John Samson] about [Workplace Conference]" 

The better you think about things in the beginning, the more useful evernote will be for you. 

I say you assess your needs first. If you're a physics student who needs to take intensely formatted notes - stick with onenote - evernote kinda sucks with formatting notes. 

But if you need evernote as a massive cabinet of reference information - evernote completely kills onenote

When I switched it was pretty tough but i eventually set up a system that I cannot imagine living without. 

Organize your notes in 2 ways - Notebooks and Tags

Notebooks are the physical location of your notes so keep them super high level - for example, some of my notebook names are "Home Reference" "Work Reference" "Useful Emails" whatever. You will barely use notebooks anyway. 

With Tags, you should have several categories - What, What, Where. 

That way you can search things like "Show me all notes with [John Samson] about [Workplace Conference]" 

The better you think about things in the beginning, the more useful evernote will be for you. 

Alright:) I think I'll stick with OneNote

Archived