Things I feel are missing

Tracey Niblett

Idea

I used Evernote a few years back but was frustrated by the lack of customisation options in the user interface so started using Microsoft OneNote instead.

Now I have started using Macs full time I find that the Mac version of OneNote isn't as good as the Windows one and so have come back to Evernote but there are still things that I consider to be basic that are missing.

These are...

1. The ability to change the colours of my notebooks in both the main notebooks window AND the side bar (even just changing the colour of the name of the notebook would work for me).  Also for those colours to be displayed on all my devices.

2. The ability to add stars to individual notes with one click rather than faffing about with choosing emojis.

3. The ability to choose whether to show or hide the date the note was updated etc in the list of notes.  I'm not bothered when it was added, it just makes the UI look more cluttered to me and uses valuable screen estate.

4. The ability to place notebooks and notes in the order I chose rather than by date or name, I want to be able to put them in order of importance or put them in the order I use them most often.

5. The ability to clip a whole web page without losing all of it's styling.  The article clip works most of the time but not all.

6. To have the active notebook highlighted in the sidebar rather than 'notes'.  I think 'notes' should be highlighted when looking at all notes.

7. To be able to create checkable to do lists in a single note.  Subtasks would be awesome but thats perhaps going a step too far.

8. To have the web clipper close itself after a couple of seconds after it has successfully done it's thing.

Looking at the list it makes it seem that I am saying that Evernote is bad and it's not, it's great, but these are things that I feel could make it better, especially it's usability.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

A lot of these things have been discussed on here - have a search if you want to see a wider response.

1. IMHO, not likely to happen in the short to medium term.

2. IMHO, not likely to happen in the short to medium term - use tags or ASCII stars instead

3. Right click the menu at the top of your list and uncheck anything you don't want to see.

4. IMHO, not likely to happen in the short to medium term.

5. Choose full page instead of article.

6. Agreed, there's been some fairly weak feedback from the Evernote PM on this...

7. You can - shift+cmd+t or the checkbox icon in the note header or the format menu (insert to-do)

8. You can - have a look at the clipper settings.

Thanks for that, I'd looked everywhere for hiding the updated dates, never thought to right click to get the options.  Never saw the insert to do either so again thanks.

As for the clipping a full page, I do that but the page loses all of it's styling to it just becomes a list of links, images and blocks of text.  not always a problem but in some cases when the page elements are moved out of their original places the context doesn't always make sense.  Last night I had set the clipper to close automatically but it wouldn't but I have just checked and today it does.

I have used the coloured book emojis in my notebook names to make them different but using they keep disappearing on books that are in stacks.  I have 6 notebooks in this particular stack and all but one of the emojis disappeared overnight.  I re added them about 15 minutes ago, minimised Evernote so I could write this, and have gone back to find that all but 2 have disappeared now.  Have you seen this mentioned before?

I run an IT support desk for a company that supplies hundreds of different products by multiple companies and use Evernote for organising technical documents (lists of error messages, part numbers, prices and the such like) that need to be  accessed as quickly possible when I have a stressed client on the phone and stacks and notebooks are great for organising by manufacturer, product line etc.

Evernote is great for things like that.  Thanks for your help with the other bits though, your tips have been very useful.

Archived