Tag Sentence within Paragraph or Note

Hi

There seems to be  no solution i have seen that is elegant enough allow the tagging of a sentence or multiple sentence within a paragraph or long note.

The only quick and dirty solution i found was to do something like  adding  underscores eg  _legal_

But of course this has the overhead of needed ing remove them all

the truly needed extension thereafter would be not to only find the notes with the designated tag on the  sentence but also filter all those sentences. This has specific, needed, and important application in say matters of law where recording or logging incidents that may require reference and use in different way and under different topics , and thus access to a sentence by tag within  a longer note or statement is a critical need

Is there some technical aspect i am simply not appreciating or is this tagging feature available in Evernote or elsewhere and i simply have missed it

thanks

Regards

Digital Dove - To the best of my knowledge, there is no feature in Evernote that will do what you want automatically. However, here are a couple approaches with Evernote that may get you part way to your goal.

1. At the beginning of an important sentence (or paragraph), put a keyword. Thinks of it as a "Tag" that you can search on at a later time.
  2. Put such important sentences (or paragraphs) into their own Notes and give them Tags.

I hope you find that some variation of the above ideas are helpful.

Thanks Indelible for your concise and clear answer.

I hope to find a combination of your recommendations and my challenges to find best solution 

1.  In reference to your point 1. yes that is how i have started to work but i put key word between two underscores  eg  "_legal_" . The reason is that i export the orall appropriately tagged notes in  additional documents and thus seek to minimise the editing resource overhead in removing each keyword ( i guess its not that hard to remove them all if all in one text based document.
  2. with reference to putting important sentences requiring Tags, i have thought of that, almost like a flowing multi-note paragraph.  I haven't tried it yet,   Is there a way to batch export a group of notes, or a group of notes filtered by tag into one document ( eg MS WORD_).  The overheard resources of doing so with a cut and paste of each individual note would otherwise make it prohibitive
  3. I now realise I dont have the simple clarity other than "cut and paste" how to then take all those notes as found by a tag and export them into one usable content stream in a product such as Ms Word or the like. Is that  less intuitive as i expected it would be?

thanks

Digital Dove - Evernote gives you the capability to export any batch of Notes. It doesn't make any difference how you identify or select the desired batch of Notes. When you select "Export" from the "File" menu, you will get 2 or 3 different format options for the file that is created.

Digital Dove - Evernote gives you the capability to export any batch of Notes. It doesn't make any difference how you identify or select the desired batch of Notes. When you select "Export" from the "File" menu, you will get 2 or 3 different format options for the file that is created.

I realise i omitted the important detail of  querying that my most important requirement is that batch exports selected can export into s single document. 

Is that an option.. 

• Level 5*

the truly needed extension thereafter would be not to only find the notes with the designated tag on the  sentence but also filter all those sentences. This has specific, needed, and important application in say matters of law where recording or logging incidents that may require reference and use in different way and under different topics , and thus access to a sentence by tag within  a longer note or statement is a critical need

If you are looking for Evernote to support the creation and citation of legal documents, I'm afraid you are likely to be disappointed.

1. EN Tags are associated with the entire Note, not to any part of the Note contents
  2. EN does not provide any type of textexpansion or reference citing from within other documents
  3. While you may be able to cobble together a system using EN that somewhat supports a legal process, you will always be fighting an uphill battle to get EN to do what you want with ease of use

Evernote is a great general purpose Personal Information Manager (PIM), but for very specific uses (like legal support) you are probably better off finding an app that is focused/dedicated to legal support.

• Level 5*

Nope its not for legal support

Its simply to log events with a tag

filter by that tag and then export all those filtered notes into one MS word ( or similarly featured editor)  document in sequential order

Since you're using a Mac, the most effective solution might be to write a short AppleScript that reads the Notes that are filtered by the tag, combines the text, and copies to the clipboard, ready to paste into Word (or any other app).

BTW, although it would take additional work/code, you could also use AppleScript to pull selected paragraphs that are "tagged" with pseudo tags in the Note content.

Archived