Version too old

Every time I restart my Mac, I'm greeted with the Evernote error message:

Version too old

Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version.

How can this be? I AM using the latest version from the App Store (6.1) and have had no problems with this until recently. Evernote is set to automatically launch at log-in but doesn't, presenting that error message instead. If I open Evernote, everything seems to run fine, and all notes are there. There is no other older version of Evernote on my Mac. Searching online for a solution only led me to articles concerning version 5.x.

The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is that I upgraded to Yosemite, but that was still a couple of months before this started happening. Any thoughts? Thanks!

post-78626-0-36628800-1442612580_thumb.j

• Ex Employees

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If so, are you certain you don't have an additional copy of the Evernote application on your machine? I recommend checking both your 'Downloads' and 'Applications' folders just in case.

Double check that all your notes are properly synced to www.evernote.com as well. 

Then, uninstall the Evernote application (if you did find another installation, delete that as well), and reinstall from www.evernote.com/download. 

Thanks! Yes, still experiencing this. I'd done a thorough (manual and Spotlight) search of the computer and this is the only version on here. Will follow your advice this week - a little too busy at the moment - but just to be clear, it sounds like it's best for me to stick with the version direct from Evernote than going to the App Store? No preference on my end, either way's fine.

Also, for uninstalling: any other files I should delete besides the app itself? Part of me wonders if at one time, maybe on an earlier OS, I had tried the App Store version and maybe there were files left behind from it that might contribute to the issue.

Thanks again!

Well, not having much luck so far. I downloaded App Cleaner and followed the instructions, deleting what I thought were all associated Evernote files. Restarted before emptying trash and an Evernote log-in window appeared at startup, so I emptied trash and restarted again. Same thing, so I looked at About Evernote from the menu bar and it said it was the App Store version. Okay, so I did Spotlight again and found no evidence of the App Store version on my computer. So I went to the App Store and checked my past purchases, and sure enough at one time I had installed it but there was an "Install" button to the right of it, implying that it wasn't currently installed on my machine. BUT, it said there had been an update installed on it in the past 30 days! Confusing.

I restarted again and got the same Evernote log-in thing. I'm hesitant to re-download Evernote from the site and install it just yet. Any clue about what might be going on with this App Store version? Is there some kind of cache that might be hanging around mucking things up that I can clear out? Thanks for all your help!

Thanks, JMichael! I downloaded AppDelete and it appears to be a great app! However, it couldn't find any instance of Evernote on my computer to delete. Hhmmm. 

So it occurred to me that if I was being asked to log-in to Evernote each time I've restarted lately, I must have Evernote listed in one of my apps to open at start-up (which is indeed what I prefer). So I went to System Prefs and sure enough it was still listed there as one of my Login Items. Right-clicking it there gave me the option to Show in Finder, so I did that and it opened an empty Finder window. Huh, okay.

I removed Evernote from the Login Items, and restarted. So far so good, I wasn't asked to log in, but then I noticed that the Evernote Helper was running in my Menu Bar, a preference I usually decline. Weird. So I clicked it and chose Quit. Then I downloaded and installed the latest version of Evernote from the website, but when I opened it for the first time I received an error message saying "App Store Installation Detected. A Mac App Store installation of Evernote has been detected. Evernote needs to make a new copy of your notes. This may take up to several minutes if you have a large account." (I'd post a screenshot of it, but I can't remember how to upload images to My Media! Ugh, braindead.) 

I started to just go ahead with that in my frustration, but now I'm worried that it would lose my most recent notes that I had made sure to sync the other day at the beginning of this ordeal. Very confused. Would like to get back to using Evernote but there doesn't seem to be a clear path. It still seems likely to me that there must be something cached from the App Store version that I must have stupidly and mistakenly installed at some point (why, I don't know), and wondered if anyone knew a way to completely nuke that? Thanks as always!

• Level 5*
@presto211:
Sorry to hear about all your troubles with getting Evernote to work right.

This seems a bit laborious, but maybe it's something to consider as a last resort:
  1. Download/install Evernote from the Mac App Store
  2. Restart your Mac
  3. Make sure both the Evernote.app and the Evernote Helper in the menu are NOT running.
  4. Now run AppDelete
    1. It should be able to do a better job since Evernote is installed
  5. Empty your Mac Trash
  6. Restart your Mac
  7. Run AppDelete again just to confirm it can't find any Evernote related files
  8. If it does not, then download/install Evernote from the Evernote.com site

Hopefully that will get you back up and running.  Please let us know either way.

Archived