Evernote notes to Apple Notes

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
On September 16, 2015 at 6:34 PM, WaelHReda said:

I want to switch back to Apple Notes and need a way to export all my Evernote notes into Apple Notes. Any thoughts?

I'd be looking at Applescript for this.  You might try to google it and find a script someone has done.

I'm in the process of using the new Notes Import function to bring over my nearly 6,000 notes to Apple Notes. It will then be an (almost) fond farewell to Evernote.

I wish you, and all who sail in you, the very best for the future.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, psionmark said:

I'm in the process of using the new Notes Import function to bring over my nearly 6,000 notes to Apple Notes.

I wasn't aware there was a new Notes Import function; can uou share any details?
Correction - I should have followed the link you posted

Also, can you share the reasons you prefer Notes to Evernote?
I can only see downsides, such as loosing all your note attachments, tags, internal links .... Correction - I was able to attach a pdf and image to a note

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, psionmark said:

I'm in the process of using the new Notes Import function to bring over my nearly 6,000 notes to Apple Notes. It will then be an (almost) fond farewell to Evernote.

I wish you, and all who sail in you, the very best for the future.

easy to import now (nice to see), but easy to export? 

23 hours ago, DTLow said:

I wasn't aware there was a new Notes Import function; can uou share any details?
Correction - I should have followed the link you posted

Also, can you share the reasons you prefer Notes to Evernote?
I can only see downsides, such as loosing all your note attachments, tags, internal links .... Correction - I was able to attach a pdf and image to a note

There are so many reasons, but the main one was that I found it harder and harder to find anything and, frankly, the iOS apps are the definition of bloatware. I love the simplicity of Notes. I love the integration with the OS (Share sheets etc). I love the Spotlight search on iOS and OSX. Most importantly, with Notes, I can find what I search for, quickly and easily.

Yep, as you say, attachments come across fine, and are searchable. In OSX, use Spotlight and it'll show a preview of any matches. Perfect.

9 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

easy to import now (nice to see), but easy to export? 

You can export individual notes as PDF, send via email etc. Not ideal, obviously, but I'm sure someone will come up with a nice script to do the job. One of the plus points in it being an OS level app - the data will be there and extractable, I'm sure.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, psionmark said:

I found it harder and harder to find anything

Thanks for replying

>>I found it harder and harder to find anything
I thought this was one of Evernote's strength, with searching and tags

>>the iOS apps are the definition of bloatware
True.  I ignore all the "extra's" in Evernote and just focus on the core features that I use

>>attachments come across fine
Not so sure about that.  Evernote has the display inline/attachment for pdfs and can resize images.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, psionmark said:

You can export individual notes as PDF, send via email etc. Not ideal, obviously, but I'm sure someone will come up with a nice script to do the job. One of the plus points in it being an OS level app - the data will be there and extractable, I'm sure.

Thanks. Apple Notes is very cool and getting better every year. 

However, I'm not a big fan of jumping in head first and hoping for the best. If there isn't an easy way in and out of an app, I generally don't even consider using it, because I don't like being locked into things like that. Clicking on tens of thousands of notes one at a time to generate a PDF and then trying to turn that PDF into rich text or something else editable sounds like a great way to mangle my notes. No thanks. Evernote handles the portability question a lot better, in my opinion.

Let us know if it ever comes up in the future if you try to get out. I'll be interested in hearing how you do it.

Archived