[FEATURE REQUEST] Improved Tag Functionality for iOS

Yipeedog

Idea

54 replies to this idea

Maybe I have missed something but I think they still did not implement what would have been the most important for me: The ability to easily add new tags on the go when you want to save a link directly from inside of the browser on your iPhone. When I want to do that with the corresponding Evernote icon (see attached image 1) a small window opens up and I can add tags (see attached image 2). However, I can only add the tags from a prefabricated list (see attached image 3). If that list is very long that might mean that I have to scroll through the whole thing to find what I need (as there is no search function in this view) and I don't have the option to add a new tag right away in case that I haven't defined the one I need for the respective link I want to save. Of course I can add more tags later in the Evernote app directly but that seems inefficient to me.

That is pretty much the only reason why I still mainly use another app called Pocket to save my links, as it currently solves this problem more elegantly in my opinion even if it has a lot less additional features compared to Evernote. 

1SaveLinkInBrowser.PNG

2AddTag.PNG

3ChooseTagFromList.PNG

• Thanks 2

Evernote, please get us a proper search for tags when adding documents from the iOS widget. There is no way to find the prefered tag when you have hundreds of other tags to scroll between. Check how Day One have done for inspiration. Shouldn't be that hard.

yes, and please: as you do with notes containing reminders, please add a small icon/menu to show all tags of the current folder. We have this on the desktop version and I really miss this will n iOS. A small icon, tap to it and then see all tags of the displayed notes. Select a tag then and boom, all notes with that tag are filtered.

• Like 3

I agree entirely. You can do a complex tag search on ios by typing

"tag:person tag:agenda" or doing an initial tag search and then typing 'tag:agenda'

but you have to remember the tags exactly. 

I suspect we'll never see nested tags. 

that being said, handwritten notes is greatly appreciated, and for my purposes probably more important. 

• Like 1

I suspect we'll never see nested tags. 

I don't know, they've recently implemented nested tags in the new web version of Evernote, thus making it available in almost all platforms. Bringing it to mobile "should" be the next logical step.

Really? Where? I can't see it. I've been using Web evernote quite a bit recently, so if they've done this I'd be very interested

• Like 1

Okay I understand having seen the forum now. They have re-implemented  "nested" tags in the same way as they are "nested" in the Mac and Windows desktop versions.

I was thinking of the ways in which other apps  use nested tags where a search on a parent tag brings up that tag and its children. It was a source of heated debate on this forum some years ago. 

• Like 1

Totally agree.

I have a tag for my son's "Hockey Coach", which is nested under his "Team", under "Hockey People", under "!Who"...

In the Windows desktop version, if I select "Hockey People", it filters results for all the tags nested under it, including his team and his coach, and all my other Hockey contacts.  If I select his team, it displays results for his coach, along with everyone else tagged under his team.  Perfect... thank you Evernote!

In the Web and iOS versions, selecting "Hockey People" returns no results because everyone is tagged under a team or organization, and then a name.  I have to filter specifically on the lowest level tag to get any results relating to it.  Dumb... please Evernote, please!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for this suggestion. It would be nice to add "auto/predictive" tags to the iOS notes sharing/saving functionality. I don't see how or why this would be an issue to do. This already exists in Pocket and several other aggregators. Pocket does a great job at even suggesting tags to use for these iOS web clippings. With Evernote's ContextTM, this should be easily implemented. However, I may be naive to the legal details of this development. There may be propriety algorithms / IP in place. 

I am an avid EverNote user and I'd like to not use other middle men apps to do the job that EverNote could easily accomplish. If this could be part of the next built, our experience as content creators and aggregators would increase our organization and referencing Thank you. 

Evernote iOS - Share Notes - ScreenShot.jpg

• Thanks 1

I would like to add my voice here.

I want my iPad to be my primary device, and I still need my PC/Mac to organize my tags, and I still can't navigate in my tags usin my iPad as I enjoy doing it on my PC.

So sad.

I noticed that more than 3 other topics are about tags and nested tags.

Summing up all votes make this request the number 1

On 5/3/2016 at 10:11 PM, 18tillidie said:

Totally agree.

I have a tag for my son's "Hockey Coach", which is nested under his "Team", under "Hockey People", under "!Who"...

In the Windows desktop version, if I select "Hockey People", it filters results for all the tags nested under it, including his team and his coach, and all my other Hockey contacts.  If I select his team, it displays results for his coach, along with everyone else tagged under his team.  Perfect... thank you Evernote!

In the Web and iOS versions, selecting "Hockey People" returns no results because everyone is tagged under a team or organization, and then a name.  I have to filter specifically on the lowest level tag to get any results relating to it.  Dumb... please Evernote, please!

I agree with all these posts.

I recently upgraded from Evernote Free to Premium despite all my friends moving to OneNote primarily because I feel Evernote tags are a great way to organize/search and want to support the company.

I learned about nested tags today and think it's an amazing feature. I completely redid my notebook organization and tags based on nested tags only to be disappointed when I loaded my iOS app and found out there's no nested tag support. I now have to go back and redo all my tagging since my new nested tagging organization doesn't work on the mobile app.

Evernote Devs: PLEASE add full nested tag support in the mobile app. This is an excellent feature that makes Evernote stand out against OneNote and all other note apps.

The suggestion of adding boolean tag searching is great as well.

Thanks for listening, hope to see this in a upcoming update soon!

I voted, and totally agree: nested tags is a must. I have hundreds of tags, most of which are nested under a few tags. Not having those nested on iOS devices is frustrating.

To add to DamienW's note, being able to search for a tag in iOS share (rather than having to scroll through hundreds of tags) would be extremely helpful.

+1 I've been a Premium user for a long time but it's only been recently that I've begun using tags a lot more.  Since there's a limit to how many notebooks you can have...which I think is 250.  I hit the limit about a year ago and spent a lot of time reorganizing to free up notebooks.  Then someone in the beta forums suggested I use tags instead of so many notebooks...and I'm trying to do that now.  But I only use ios devices, so it's slow going since tag usage just isn't great there.  So I'm all for improving functionality on ios...actually not just for it...but want it...a lot!

One suggestion I'd like to make to forum members is to consider becoming a beta tester.  I've been a beta tester for maybe 5 years now and I love it!  Each beta is run separately since each device type has its own dev team.  Many of the betas are open...meaning anyone can join.  There's some paperwork and confidentiality agreements.  The ios beta is closed...meaning you apply and selected.  Joining it isn't ongoing in general I think.  I joined when they were recruiting new testers...and since I've been doing this there have been several more instances of that occurring.  Maybe around once a year.  We communicate directly with a dev leader and communicate with others on the dev team if we send them complex trouble reports that need more input.  Our communication is via a forum just like this or email when working on specific problems. 

Everyone on Evernote's staff is extremely helpful and you get a true sense of the heart and passion of the company and staff this way.  Plus that your ideas are heard and oftentimes taken under serious consideration.  There isn't a lot of extra work involved, and I've never felt that my notes and data were in jeopardy in any way.  The betas are usually pretty 'public' ready.  I'm not exactly sure who you would contact if you're interested, but I'd be happy to find out if anyone were interested.  It's truly a mutually beneficial relationship!  Prior to beginning this I'd had a few occasions when I'd contacted support.  Support personal are as helpful as they can be but I didn't get the sense that this would be a good avenue for suggestions or ideas...but then I wasn't really looking for that either.  

Edited by vsajewel
Fixed typos
  • Like 1

Yes please. Me too. I'd like to be able to see all my tags easily in IOS and just click to select. The current search requires me to remember exactly the wording of the tags I'm looking for. That's easy enough for the ones I use frequently but some of the other tags are used less often so I don't always remember for example if I spelled them with US or UK spelling, wrote them as a plural or singular, etc without having a quick scan at the list of tags.  And multiple tag search is definitely needed. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-01 at 11:33 PM, JulianT said:

And multiple tag search is definitely needed. 

I thought the most recent version was a solution to multitag selection

The new Tag selection is a welcome improvement. It works very well, but one should be able to at least rearrange the order freely in the tag selection screen. I have some master tags and some sub tags. Now if I want to select a master Tag, lets say "videowall" it sits on the very bottom and i have to scroll past all my tags including secondary ones.

this brings up my second problem, tag sort order. Inside the Master "Videowall" tag i may have offers manuals brochures i'd like to see grouped together. I can do this sort of by selecting a secondary tag, maybe for "manuals" but if i want to select an offer next, i have to perform a new search. Renaming notes would work, but it seems a bit redundant as we have the tags to differentiate note types. And it works perfectly on the desktop version.

1 hour ago, gilbycoyote said:

The new Tag selection is a welcome improvement. It works very well, but one should be able to at least rearrange the order freely in the tag selection screen. I have some master tags and some sub tags. Now if I want to select a master Tag, lets say "videowall" it sits on the very bottom and i have to scroll past all my tags including secondary ones.

this brings up my second problem, tag sort order. Inside the Master "Videowall" tag i may have offers manuals brochures i'd like to see grouped together. I can do this sort of by selecting a secondary tag, maybe for "manuals" but if i want to select an offer next, i have to perform a new search. Renaming notes would work, but it seems a bit redundant as we have the tags to differentiate note types. And it works perfectly on the desktop version.

Try adding master tags to your shortcuts for quick access. 

1 hour ago, therealchadhall said:

Try adding master tags to your shortcuts for quick access. 

I already have my most used tags in shortcuts, some project based tags i d'ont see the need to add them to shortcuts, as it clutters the shortcut list to much.

I find the current system very usable, i just think there's always room for improvement.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-01 at 11:33 PM, JulianT said:

I'd like to be able to see all my tags easily in IOS and just click to select

Version 8 implemented this tag list toolIMG_1548.thumb.PNG.df5c5021a8603b1a925fb4dc64f06842.PNG

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gilbycoyote said:

I have some master tags and some sub tags. Now if I want to select a master Tag, lets say "videowall" it sits on the very bottom and i have to scroll past all my tags including secondary ones.

I have the same problem with the tag list.
This leads to another request - implement tag hierarchy in IOS

Any more movement on getting this feature installed? I really liked the desktop version... I could search for a person and "agenda" tags to get only the agenda items related to that person. Now, I either have to wade through every who has agenda items, or I wade through all of the notes tagged with the person to find the agenda items. Thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jgascho said:

Any more movement on getting this feature installed? I really liked the desktop version... I could search for a person and "agenda" tags to get only the agenda items related to that person. Now, I either have to wade through every who has agenda items, or I wade through all of the notes tagged with the person to find the agenda items. Thanks!

Not sure what specific feature you're referring to.  The current version has advanced search and tag picker features

Huge thanks to the users who helped bring this issue to the attention of the company, and to Evernote for an excellent functionality improvement!

My only question is what to complain about next.... Hmmmmm.... :)

• Like 1

Not sure if I am blind, but... where is that "new feature" located? I still can't seem to search for multiple tags when inside a notebook on iPhone Evernote. And that was the problem at hand all the time. Still does not work - or at least I don't find the option to search for tags - and I tried to recreate the display you posted above. btw.: it seems they had changed the tag search on desktop recently. Before: If you entered some letters you would see the matching suggestions. Now: if you enter a letter you don't see anything - you need to know the whole wording of the tag. WTF? Evernote has become even more useless and user-unfriendly now. But hey - we got a whole bunch of social media sharing bullshit lately. Just great - I did quit premium now, didn't use it anymore in the last months

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Makake77 said:

where is that "new feature" located? I still can't seem to search for multiple tags when inside a notebook on iPhone Evernote. And that was the problem at hand all the time. Still does not work - or at least I don't find the option to search for tags - and I tried to recreate the display you posted above.

Step 1: From the home screen, Click on All Notes to switch to the Notebook screenIMG_0126.PNG.8e4d653931ddee8d8c6123651e4efc9e.PNG

Step 2: Click on a notebook58f76885c9456_IMG_01252.thumb.PNG.5cb099781ddbf047059975f783ebc80e.PNG

Step 3: Click on the tag icon

IMG_0127.PNG.401441497c0fed0457103d7b5633fe23.PNG

Please provide search and tag functionality on iOS commensurate to desktop. This seems so basic and surprising the lack of functionality. I was moving to a premium account and making EN my primary repository. However, with the serious limitation of search and tag management I'm reconsidering. The iphone with Scannable is a significant input device for EN and the one I alway have with me. I don't understand this limitation at this stage of the products evolution. This is a serious use case limitation.  

• Level 5*
On 29/04/2017 at 0:15 AM, Zach2 said:

Please provide search and tag functionality on iOS commensurate to desktop. This seems so basic and surprising the lack of functionality. I was moving to a premium account and making EN my primary repository. However, with the serious limitation of search and tag management I'm reconsidering. The iphone with Scannable is a significant input device for EN and the one I alway have with me. I don't understand this limitation at this stage of the products evolution. This is a serious use case limitation.  

AFAIK the search and tag functionality on a mobile device is pretty much the same as a desktop.  If you have a different experience then please let us know exactly where you find the experience different.

• Level 5*

On 2017-04-28 at 4:15 PM, Zach2 said:

Please provide search and tag functionality on iOS commensurate to desktop. 

37 minutes ago, gazumped said:

AFAIK the search and tag functionality on a mobile device is pretty much the same as a desktop.  If you have a different experience then please let us know exactly where you find the experience different.

The IOS tag search feature (tag picker) is actually an improvement over the Mac desktop

IOS is still missing the tag hierarchy

• Like 1

Really need option to see tags in hierarchy when adding tags to notes. This is still a big handicap, and interrupts workflow as have to use my Mac at a later stage to do add tags to my notes ( as I need to ensure I add one or more tags from each section of my hierarchy)

or has this been added and I have missed it?!?

Edited by Jeff_man
Reads better
  • Level 5*
On 2017-06-18 at 1:31 AM, Jeff_man said:

Really need option to see tags in hierarchy when adding tags to notes.

Still no tag hierarchy in IOS

>>I need to ensure I add one or more tags from each section of my hierarchy

Thats an interesting approach
You could use a prefix on the tags to make sure they appear in the right sequence

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Emy said:

Please make it possible to save a tagged search in iOS, including searches with multiple tags. 

Note: there are two terms: "Search"  and  "Filter"

We are able to save a Search, even create a shortcut

It would be a nice feature to save a Filter as a Search

Yes, please! I am a premium subscriber and a very heavy user of getting things done with evernote and I absolutely rely on the use of a tag system + notebooks to organize my work. I had to buy myself an android tablet, because only the android widget lets me properly build a dashboard sorting by tag, swiping from one desktop screen to the next (with 7+ widgets... crazy!).

I actually want to use evernote on my iPhone and Mac and I hope you can see through how much length and costs I went to be able to work with evernote.

Up to this date it is the only way for me how I can use evernote productively. If they every give up that widget, I would erase my account and move back to OneNote. :(

Also, why can't we build a sort of dashboard / start screen by metadata columns or something? (similar to the widget solution).

I want to thank everyone who concentrated on this issue (including up-voting the top post) and Evernote for fixing 2 of the 3 problems originally identified (we still don't have the same desktop organization in iOS but that was the least important of the requests).

Great evidence that Evernote is watching and responding where they can to user feedback! 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2