Option in Scannable for output as a JPEG instead of a PNG

snsokstan

Idea

I thought scannable could output as a JPEG as well as a PDF. I have the latest version and now there's only image output seems to consistently be a 72 dpi PNG file. I don't see any switch in settings to choose JPEG instead. What happened here?

8 replies to this idea

Hi snsokstan,

Scannable outputs a JPG or PNG when it outputs an 'image'. It dynamically switches between the two options (PNG or JPG) based on the image content.

Scannable uses a custom lossy PNG compression scheme and color palette minimizer that results is better looking (sharper) with lower file sizes.

In practice, this means your typical black-print-on-white paper document, perhaps with a colored title, taken on iPhone 6, will be in the 200-400k size, with no fuzzy JPG compression around the text letters. A JPG with similar quality is typically 600-800k range and will have blurrier looking text. 

If the results are larger in filesize than they would be for JPG, or unable to authentically reproduce the colors in the document, Scannable uses the JPG format.

The number of pixels remains unchanged between JPG and PNG. 

The reason for doing this is 

a) smaller filesizes

B) sharper looking documents

c) faster uploads

This also applies to PDF, where Scannable embeds a PNG instead of JPG on each page.

Having said all this, we'd love to know if you need a JPG file specifically for a technical reason (For example another app or web service that can only accepts JPGs) or weren't happy with the technical quality of the images? Could you describe your use case a little?

Hello klang,

Yes, I, too, often require JPG file formats for healthcare insurance receipts and work expense receipt uploads. Many of these sites do not accept png file formats for receipt upload. This has been very problematic for me lately trying to save and archive info using scannable into evernote, then having to re-converting these images into JPG using a third party app. Please include JPG as an image option from scannable.

Thanks,

Brian B.

• Level 5*

Despite all the positive comment,  there are no upvotes on this thread yet - please click on the up arrow at the top left of the page if you support the suggestion - Evernote try to take account of the scores for feature suggestions in prioritising their development work.

Edit:  OK,  now I'm confused...

:unsure:

Archived