Client freezes when swithing a language via keyboard

Hello!

I've seen frozen Evernote many times before, but I couldn't understand when it became frozen. But now i'm succeeded. It frozes when I switch my keyboard layout from english to another language by using my keyboard key. Well, I've tried not to use keyboard and change a layout by the Windows language pane. I succeeded. Then I've tries to change it back to english. Everything is fine.

Evernote is only freezes when I switch a layout by a keyboard from the En to another language.

I use Ctrl+[1,2,3] to change layouts. I've tried canadian french and russian.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit 8Gb RAM on i7.

I've made several dumps, and they have the same stack and it I see that Evernote is still waiting in WaitForMultipleObjects. I've attached one of them to this message.

Unfortunately I don't know how to make a ticket.

Regards,

Alexey.

20150904_194506_244_Evernote.exe_6A64_ms.dmp.zip

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Every time when I use keyboard combination "Ctrl+2" to change my input method from English to Russian, my desktop "Evernote" hanging.

This looks like problem in Windows 10, because the same problem I found in Outlook 2013, Skype, Skype for Business.

Find anyone solution?

• 1 month later...

Same problem here: after upgrading to Windows 10, when language switching hotkey is set to Ctrl+2, 3, 4, these combinations will freeze evernote.

I had the same problem in Skype, and found a fix for it (running in compatibilty mode, see: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/hotkey-combination-hangs-Skype-on-Windows-10-TP/td-p/3862078/page/5). But it doesn't help for EN.

This is incredibly annoying, please fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem. Evernote client freezes reliably every time I try to switch language in it using Alt-Shift-1 (or -2, -3). Really sucks to have to paste the query from notepad just to search in another language. Evernote is the only program I use that has this problem, although it used to happen with Skype for a time, as mentioned by one of the posters above.

Win 10, 64-bit. Evernote 5.9.6.9494.

I found this issue too.. my client is Windows 10 and new version for evernote. When i switch language from EN -> TH. evernote will freeze and need close application. I need change switch keyboard from  Grave access to Alt+Ctrl for avoid issue. Please help to fix in next update,.

How are you changing the keyboard switch keys? The only way I've found is alt+shift or Win+space. Evernote uses the Ctrl+1/etc accelerators for shortcuts (ctrl+1 is the first shortcut, etc).

For those having issues, do you have shortcuts? What kind of shortcut? Where is the shortcut bar located - nav pane or top (under toolbar)? How many keyboard layouts do you have? Which languages? And what language are you running EN in?

I've tried this on Win10Enterprise with EN/FR and things work properly (using the above system keybindings)

Update: Finally found the bindings. Repro'd. Researching...

3 hours ago, dconnet said:

How are you changing the keyboard switch keys? The only way I've found is alt+shift or Win+space. Evernote uses the Ctrl+1/etc accelerators for shortcuts (ctrl+1 is the first shortcut, etc).

For those having issues, do you have shortcuts? What kind of shortcut? Where is the shortcut bar located - nav pane or top (under toolbar)? How many keyboard layouts do you have? Which languages? And what language are you running EN in?

I've tried this on Win10Enterprise with EN/FR and things work properly (using the above system keybindings)

Update: Finally found the bindings. Repro'd. Researching...

Dear dconnect

How are you changing the keyboard switch keys?   > For the most Thai people, we change keyboard by use Grave Accent ( ` ). While change Language by this Grave Accent ( ` ), evernote will always freeze. 

For those having issues, do you have shortcuts? >  I didn't set any more shortcuts. 

How many keyboard layouts do you have? > Only 1 for Thai/English Standard Keyboard layout.

Which languages?  > Thai/Eng languages.

And what language are you running EN in? > English (us) 

I'm running  windows 10 Home 64 bits 8Gb RAM on AMD FX6350

Thanks 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 2:20 AM, Don Reba said:

I find it unbelievable that this has not been fixed yet. :o

It's taken a while to figure out what the problem was. We're currently working on a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

It also happens to me and hence google searches brought me here. However I notice it only occurs when I set Evernote's display language to English while my Win10 system's default locale is in another language. So I set my Evernote to my system language and the hang disappears. I don't know why.

For those have this issue, try set your Evernote back to your system's default language instead of English and see if the problem goes away.

But I still would like this issue to be addressed soon because I want to use English display on Evernote even though my system language is set to something else.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2016 at 9:54 PM, dconnet said:

It's taken a while to figure out what the problem was. We're currently working on a fix.

What did the problem turn out to be in the end, if it is not a secret? Just curious.

Any background thread that Windows marks as a UI thread (usually because you make certain API calls, even though the thread has no actual UI) must have a message pump. Or call a function that disables IME in that thread. Otherwise, when the keyboard switch occurs, Windows sends each UI thread a message - and with no message pump, it hangs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.07.2016 at 4:53 AM, Sambit Basu said:

Fixed in today's release. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm this. I just install the latest available version from the official site (6.1.2.2292) and it stil freezes...

13 minutes ago, avantulu said:

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm this. I just install the latest available version from the official site (6.1.2.2292) and it stil freezes...

This is an old version… I assume Submit Basu is using a beta.

Archived