We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NealF

Does Evernote make duplicates? Can I trash my originals?

I'm new to Evernote and trying to get my wits around it.

I dragged a bunch of documents (PDFs and text mainly) into a notebook. Does Evernote make copies and store them in the program?

Can I trash my originals? 

Thanks.

If you add a PDF to a note in EN it will be stored in your EN data base.  So if you like you can delete the original. 

It is a good idea to backup your EN data base periodically though.

You are welcome.  And yes, it does apply for other items that you add to a note.

Yes - anything attached to an EN Note is stored in the database.  The 'original' file is then superfluous.  You can delete it if you wish,  but like Cal says - keep backing up your database;  that's then the only place where that information exists...

Twice in one day, who would have thunk!  :)

I'm new to Evernote and trying to get my wits around it.

I dragged a bunch of documents (PDFs and text mainly) into a notebook. Does Evernote make copies and store them in the program?

Can I trash my originals? 

Thanks.

What these guys are telling you is right, but if your new to Evernote, I would keep critical PDFs until your pretty sure you understand how to back-up your files locally and how to restore a corrupted local data base from the Evernote servers if you have to. In other words. I would keep your PDFs in a file on your computer or in a backup somewhere until you are pretty sure you understand to do in a data crash crisis -- better safe than sorry?

Especially critical PDFs.

I am 3 years in to Evernote heavy use with 7,000 + notes and although its been extremely rare, there has been a case or two that Evernote is locked up, or I I can't run it or its just laggy as hell and I'm glad I had the PFD locally.

BTW gazumped and csihilling know a lot more than I do -- they also know how to work a data crash and have a very accurate assessment of their risk -- knowing Evernote backwards and forwards -- you don't

Fair points - we did both say 'keep backups',  but it can be a good idea to put files you add to Evernote into an archive folder and clear that out every once in a while..  I also keep any scanned pages in a tray and bin them on a similar basis for the same reason.