Paste and Match Style - What?

Evernote for Windows 5.9.0.8665 GA Release changed my paste menu item from 'Paste as Text' to 'Paste and Match Style'. 

Now, when I copy anything from elsewhere and attempt to use the Ctrl+Shift+V / 'Paste and Match Style' it dumps a solid block of raw text with no paragraph separation carried over from the original copied text.  It's totally different and now unusable behavior from previous versions.

I now must copy from elsewhere, paste into notepad or other ascii editor, then paste into Evernote using the standard Ctrl+V / 'Paste' selection.

Please, please put that one back.  I almost always use that paste (ascii) menu choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Alexi,

I agree, this is a huge inconvenience.  Have to copy/paste into a notepad, then re-copy into evernote; two step process.  

Evernote; is this what you wanted to have happen?  Paste and Match Style might be functional for Mac, but non-Mac's still represent over 75% of your user base I suspect.

Jim

Out team uses paste as text on a daily basis. Now pasting simply does not do anything. Since we updated to Windows 10 we have Onenote. A bad (but free) product but - at the moment- way better than the broken Evernote Windows Client. If they don't give us the "Paste as Text" feature back we will quit our subscription. 

I am having the same problem and I can't tell you how upsetting this is. After the most recent update, I no longer have the option to "Paste as Text". Instead I have the option to ether paste an un-editable block of text or "Paste and Match Style" which inexplicably pastes nothing. For the past several weeks I have been organizing my notes using Evernote for my comprehensive exams. With this option gone, I'm forced to copy every single note from OneNote into Word and then to Evernote. If anyone has a better solution, please let me know. Is there a way to uninstall the update?

Here is a reply I got from my email to support.  I am replying now and will report back here after I learn something. 

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch with Evernote Support, my name is Ellen and I will be helping you out today. I understand you are having some trouble with pasting text to Evernote web to match the spacing when the 'Paste to Match Style' option is selected.

I want to be sure we take steps to see what is causing this for you to determine if I need to escalate this to our technical support team. The more information I am able to gather from your specific circumstances and outcomes will help in isolating a fix if there is a technical issue causing the application to run unexpectedly.

• If you paste the text with the normal paste option (CTRL + V) is the spacing retained?
  • Do you have the 'remove formatting' option present on your toolbar above your note?
  • I see that you are currently running a beta version of Firefox that may be causing some interference with the function. I was unable to produce this in the current versions of Firefox and Chrome on my end. Can you try to paste on a different browser or revert to the current version of Firefox 40.0.3 to see if this changes things for you?

Please reply at your convenience.

Best,
Ellen G.

The fact is: if I copy anything, paste to notepad, then copy again and paste to Evernote, all is ok, as the "paste as text" is expected to work.

Now if I copy a selection of formatted text, for example in an Outlook message and paste it in a note, I always get weird results, in most cases all the text goes on one line, line breaks are lost and no blanks are inserted between lines. Sometimes I even loose all blanks.

Here's my reply to Ellen ...

Hi Ellen, Thanks for getting back.  Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  Crazed work week and no time for me.  Here are the answers to your questions as best I can figure.  Oh, here is the message thread in the User’s forum.  I am not alone.  Having this happen along with Win 10’s free OneNote is bad timing for Evernote.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88039-paste-and-match-style-what/?locale=en

• If you paste the text with the normal paste option (CTRL + V) is the spacing retained?

Yes!  With all formatting included also.

• Do you have the 'remove formatting' option present on your toolbar above your note? 

No.  I only see ‘Remove Formatting’ when I right-click to get ready to select a paste option.

• I see that you are currently running a beta version of Firefox that may be causing some interference with the function. I was unable to produce this in the current versions of Firefox and Chrome on my end. Can you try to paste on a different browser or revert to the current version of Firefox 40.0.3 to see if this changes things for you?  It does not appear to be browser specific.  I am experimenting and have discovered the issue is WORST with Microsoft Word and Outlook.  It simply strips away any formatting and creates a massive block of all the text originally copied.  Assuming any other Microsoft created formatting would be handled the same way.

Coming from Chrome pages it seems to work ‘sort of’ … but did not preserve any spacing where bullets/numbering are concerned.) 

It’s not like the great old ‘Save as Text’ Command which kept all carriage returns and removed formatting only.

We want that old option back …. Please!

Alex

Good Morning All.

I received an encouraging reply from Ellen in Evernote Support (See below).  I plan to sit tight for a while and see what they come up with re: a solution.  MS OneNote is not something I care to consider at the moment.  I really like Evernote and wouldn't want to lose all the other good stuff for an update stumble.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for getting that information back to me as well as linking me to that forum post. It is helpful to see what others are experiencing as well.

It sounds like this may be something ongoing that I would like to escalate for further investigation and if necessary our developers to work on resolution.

I'm going to transfer this ticket to our Technical Support team who will be able to assist you further. Please know that they are working on your ticket and will reply after they've had the opportunity to review the information you've provided.

Thanks for your patience.

• 1 year later...

Archived