Show Stack in List View

malcolm.b.anderson

Idea

I'm using Evernote in windows and when I do a search for a document,

I find the document,

but I can't figure out how to tell what stack its in.

I have a "notebook" column and a "title" column, but not a stack column.

How do I get the stack column to show in the search results?

(This is important to me because I have similarly named notebooks in my "Project" stack, and in my "Reference" stack and it's not always obvious which stack I should be looking in)

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Switch on the left panel if you don't already have one (F10) and hover over/ click on the Notebooks heading.  You should see a diamond pointer next to all stack titles.  Click the pointer to expand the stack,  or click the 'Notebooks' heading to get a page with more information and options.

Hi gazumped

Thanks, that does help a bit.

I have a screen shot of where I'm trying to get this list. (can't figure out how to attach it.)

I have a search for "evernote" and I see all the notebooks that I have the relevant notes in them, just not the stack it's in.

I guess what I'd like to see is my left hand tree visually "go" to the notebook of the note that I'm clicking on.

Malcom, if nothing else gets you what you want, try this.

Give each Notebook name a prefix that will tell you what stack it is in. Then, when you Search results show the Notebook name, the prefix will tell you which stack it is in.

I suspect you know how, but t is a simple matter to change the name of a Notebook. Right-click (in Windows) on the Notebook name and select "Rename". - - - Of course, if you have many, many Notebooks, you may end up deciding this is not worth the trouble.

Malcom, if nothing else gets you what you want, try this.

Give each Notebook name a prefix that will tell you what stack it is in. Then, when you Search results show the Notebook name, the prefix will tell you which stack it is in.

I suspect you know how, but t is a simple matter to change the name of a Notebook. Right-click (in Windows) on the Notebook name and select "Rename". - - - Of course, if you have many, many Notebooks, you may end up deciding this is not worth the trouble.

I hate the idea   :)  (and it just may work perfectly for my situation)

but it makes a ton of sense, thanks.

Right now I'm in the process of putting TONS of stuff in evernote, and trying to spread it out so I can see it all at the same time, or conversely chunk it down.  

Bottom line, is I'm giving myself the year to get some level of mastery with Evernote and I'm intending to accomplish that, you all here in the forums are helping out a ton.  

Thanks

I have the same problem/request. 

When searching for a file in windows explorer, when i find it, it's pretty easy to then find where that file exists in my directory structure. The same seems not to be true of evernote. I can find the note i'm looking for in the search results, but i still don't know where that note lives in my evernote hierarchy. Naming notebooks with stack prefixes is a workaround, but is cumbersome and tedious and definitely not ideal. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, TroySmith80 said:

When searching for a file in windows explorer, when i find it, it's pretty easy to then find where that file exists in my directory structure. The same seems not to be true of evernote.

I don't think Evernote was designed to replicate the explorer file folder structure
My impression is that Evernote was designed to eliminate this need.  Notes don't "live" anywhere

I'm not much of a notebook user, but I could set up a tag hierarchy like: Car > 2001 > Ford > Insurance
Viewing a note with tag Insurance doesn't show "where that note lives in my evernote hierarchy"
Instead, I would use multiple tags, for example    tag:Car 2001 Ford   and    tag:Insurance

Stacks are used to organize Notebooks.  Tag hierarchy is used to  organize Tags

7 hours ago, TroySmith80 said:

I have the same problem/request. 

When searching for a file in windows explorer, when i find it, it's pretty easy to then find where that file exists in my directory structure. The same seems not to be true of evernote. I can find the note i'm looking for in the search results, but i still don't know where that note lives in my evernote hierarchy. Naming notebooks with stack prefixes is a workaround, but is cumbersome and tedious and definitely not ideal. 

Troy

Since I wrote that, I've become a big fan of tags.

Tags are crazy powerful, but there is a learning curve.

The article the really got me started was

https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-tags/

Malcolm

Thanks for the link Malcolm, i'll give it a look.

I would like to think that it could be "both and" as far as using tags and also using a hierarchical structure, giving me multiple ways to find a particular note, depending on what kind of thought process has lead me to look for it. It seems like simply having a right-click option when in a note, to jump to that note's path (stack-->notebook-->note) in the left side panel would be an obviously useful feature.

That said I also know about myself that I tend to take a while to come around to recognizing/understanding the value of new interfaces. I clung to having my mp3s in folder structure for a long time before finally grasping the value of tags. I feel like perhaps these notes are a little different, since it may be less clear what to tag them now so that i can find them later, but I'm probably wrong about that.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, TroySmith80 said:

Thanks for the link Malcolm, i'll give it a look.

I would like to think that it could be "both and" as far as using tags and also using a hierarchical structure, giving me multiple ways to find a particular note, depending on what kind of thought process has lead me to look for it. It seems like simply having a right-click option when in a note, to jump to that note's path (stack-->notebook-->note) in the left side panel would be an obviously useful feature.

That said I also know about myself that I tend to take a while to come around to recognizing/understanding the value of new interfaces. I clung to having my mp3s in folder structure for a long time before finally grasping the value of tags. I feel like perhaps these notes are a little different, since it may be less clear what to tag them now so that i can find them later, but I'm probably wrong about that.

Raw search is a powerful tool.  Especially in conjunction with just enough tags to get your notes in the right groups.

• Level 5*
On 11/28/2017 at 2:35 PM, DTLow said:

I don't think Evernote was designed to replicate the explorer file folder structure

This is true. Note storage was never intended to be hierarchical; stacks were added at a later date, just as a way to visually organize notebooks (though you can search a stack as well, though initially that wasn't universally true across all clients, I believe). Stacks still feel kinda half-baked. I don't use a lot of notebooks, so I don't need a lot of stacks. Having a stack display available in note info (or a note header), or per the initial request, as a column in the list view would be useful.

Edit: moved to Feedback forum, and upvoted.

Archived