Evernote forwarding and auto filing, also, where is a general forum?

The following question is a general question, and does not apply to the Mac only version, though that is what I am using.  What forums would the below post best be posted in?

According to the Evernote docs:

Automatic email filtering or forwarding

You can also set up your email client's automatic email filters to automatically forward every email from a specific sender or with a particular subject.

For example, you can configure your email application to forward any emails sent from "Google Analytics' with "weekly report" in the subject line to your company's "Reports" notebook.

I set up a filter in gmail, it finds messages from a sender that has a identical subject that is sent out every month.  All works well on the gmail side, emails are located, tagged, filed, and then forwarded.  

However, once they hit evernote, they just go to my default notebook.  I don't want to turn on smart filtering, I don't trust myself to have stuff coming in and put in places that I have to check to make sure it came in.  If evernote ever glitches, I would never know I missed the message.  Where is it in gmail that I can edit the subject to add in at symbols and hashtags?

I also just found this:

Gmail doesn't offer a way to do this. The closest you can come to that would be to forward to another gmail account, and in *that* account, set another filter to label incoming mail with the keyword. But there's no way to get a change in a subject line. Sorry.

​The evernote docs need updating, or there is a secret I am unaware of. I don't think this is just gmail, I don't know of any email clients that allow a find/filter/subject change.  But evernote wrote that, so at some point, someone did it, any idea how?

​What are my other options?  Is there a filtering tool in Evernote, where you can have it take incoming messages that match criteria, and perform actions, like in gmail, only these would be, add tags, move to notebook, etc.

Thanks, but how do you alter the subject of an email that is part of a automatic rule in gmail?  Or any email client for that matter?  I have a rule in gmail that says if from x and subject is y, forward the message to Evernote, but it just ends up in my inbox.  Do I really have to look at a 3rd party tool like Zapier or IFTTT to pull this off?

I use filter in Thunderbird to send mail from some sender to Evernote.

Works fine.

Thunderbird forward the mail when Thunderbird is on.

And where in Thunderbird are you altering the subject when it meets your filter criteria?

Works fine.

And where in Thunderbird are you altering the subject when it meets your filter criteria?

No place.

"When you forward an email into Evernote, auto-filing will look for similar notes inside your account and apply the same notebook and tags." https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23480523

It works 80-90%

Works fine.

No place.

"When you forward an email into Evernote, auto-filing will look for similar notes inside your account and apply the same notebook and tags." https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23480523

It works 80-90%

This is an automated rule in gmail, if it is from a sender, an the subject is a certain way, of which I get 3 of these emails a week, I don't want to manually forward them.  Plus, if you use the forward feature in the prefs of gmail, it does a redirect not a forward, so the emails look nicer.

The trouble is, that I don't want to have to re-file them in evernote, I would like them to come in and go where they are supposed to.  Evernote really needs a rules system where we can filter inbound notes and tell them where to go and what to do to them automatically.

• Level 5*

Thanks, but how do you alter the subject of an email that is part of a automatic rule in gmail?  Or any email client for that matter?  I have a rule in gmail that says if from x and subject is y, forward the message to Evernote, but it just ends up in my inbox.  Do I really have to look at a 3rd party tool like Zapier or IFTTT to pull this off?

This can be done using AppleScript, JXA, or Keyboard Maestro , at least with the Outlook 2011 or Mac Mail clients.

Can't say for sure about using a GMail web client, since I have setup Outlook to pull all of my GMail.

This can be done using AppleScript, JXA, or Keyboard Maestro , at least with the Outlook 2011 or Mac Mail clients.

Can't say for sure about using a GMail web client, since I have setup Outlook to pull all of my GMail.

Gmail is not an issue, I can make an IMAP connection through curl or any number of tools that I can then hook up with AppleScript.

Can you share with me an AppleScript that will take raw text as input, ( there is something wrong with the line endings, I am losing them, I think I willl have to replace \r to \r\n or \n tu \r\n.  Outside of that, if yo have something where I can drop a text file on it, it will import to EN with predefined tags, I would make a ton of cool things.  I don't need to poll EN for any data ahead of time, so this should be a simple one.

Thx!

@Grey, sorry, I don't have any AppleScript like that.

No problem, thanks. Ill look around for something that just does an import of plain text, that will get me started.  Getting started in AppleScript is always a pain for me for some reason.  I wish there was some sort of bridge from their API to curl or a more REST driven API, I think I could make EN do anything under those cases.  I have looked at the API, and it is a bit hairy, but not too bad.  Maybe I can pin down this "malformed input" error that Zapier and IFTTT seem to get stuck on.

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 4/20/2016 at 11:43 AM, ShariLeeee said:

I HATE this Automatic Filing "no help" app in Chrome when trying to clip something because then I have to go and try to find it.  I prefer to select my own destination.  How can I clip without it defaulting to this irritating app?

Have you tried clicking on the Options button on the EN Web Clipper popup?

Main EN Clipper Popup

EN-Chrome-Clipper-Main-Popup.png

Options Screen

EN-Chrome-Clipper-Options-Panel.png

Archived