Evernote for Mac 6.1 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We're starting to roll out Evernote for Mac 6.1 to customers.   Evernote for Mac 6.1 has the following fixes:

• A fix for users who run both Evernote for Windows and Mac and encrypt text on Windows with blank lines or tables in them.
  • A fix for Lion users who are seeing weird selection issues after deleting text.
  • A printing fix where text would get cut off on the right side of the note.
  • A number of bug fixes in presentation mode.
  • Fixed an issue where copying and pasting text that started with “{“ would fail.  I think this was impacting a bunch our customers who were also programmers. 
  • Fixed an issue on the sidebar where shortcuts, notebooks and tags would always be expanded no matter what someone set them to after a relaunch and other sidebar issues like jumping to the top when clicking on a tag or multi-tags getting selected.
  • Fixed some visual items in card view where attachments would look truncated and sometimes the cards would look blurry if using both a retina display Mac and a non-retina monitor.
  • Fixed an odd sync issue where some people would get into an infinite sync mode and using the app would get really slow and the app would hang.
  • Fixed 5 of the top 10 crashing issues in 6.0.16 our previous release.
There are some new things as well. 

• The most obvious one is we’ve made the sidebar dark to better differentiate the sections.  If you’ve grown accustomed to the Yosemite style light sidebar you can keep it.  Just select the View : Sidebar Options menu and select Use Light Sidebar.  Let us know if you like the dark sidebar.
  • Business users will now be required to use the new notebook view.  This is to help improve differentiation between business and personal content but also we allow you to search for notebooks that you haven’t joined.
  • We’ve also changed the way business tags work.  In the past we displayed all business tags.  Now we are only going to display the business tags of notes that you have access to.  This has already been incredibly helpful here at Evernote where we have a bazillion tags.
  • Also new in this release is a way to rate the quality of the Evernote for Mac product.  We’ll automatically prompt a small select group of you each release but if you’d like to rate the product you can always go to the Evernote menu and select Rate Evernote for Mac.  These ratings are sent back to our service and will be used as a way to track the overall quality of the Mac product for each release both here in the US and across the world with the goal of improving the product and the ratings overtime.
  • Finally, we’ve completely overhauled the underlying technology we use for our communication and collaboration features.  There might be some setbacks that occur whenever one makes this large of a change but overall we’re noticing it’s more stable and reliable. 
For those of you that are Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8) users, this will be your last release as we ramp up for work on El Capitan which is Apple's upcoming operating system.   We know that most of the Evernote for Mac customer base have already moved over to Yosemite and Mavericks (or even El Capitan Beta) so it doesn't affect the majority of you but this is still going to impact a number of people who continue to use Lion, Mountain Lion and even older systems...my sister included  :) .  The good news is that you'll be able to continue to use Evernote for Mac 6.1 for as long as it continues to run on your OS.  The only downside is you won't be able to upgrade to newer versions of Evernote that we release.  

If you don't want to wait for the update notification you can download the release from here.  Please let us know if you run into any issues.

51 replies to this idea

Aaaaarrrgh what just happened, updated fine no probs, now when I open EN I get blank notes, preview snippet looks fine but the note opens blank.  Checked on web, content is still there but after this update I cant see my notes........

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 14.16.55.png

OK.  I've contacted you directly to see if I can help you out but we would also like to get some information to see if we can figure out what went wrong in your particular situation.  I haven't heard of anyone else running into this issue so there must have been a data glitch of some sort.  

Thanks for the new version.

It would be nice, if the software remembered my sidebar settings. If I removed the "Market" and "Business" ads before, do not show them again, please. I pay for Premium to avoid seeing ads. Thank you.

Are you saying these settings were lost when you initially upgraded or are you saying these are not remembered even after you reboot Evernote?  We should be remembering Market.  I'm not sure about Business.  In any case, we haven't changed this so if it's not remembering it's a bug.  I also don't think this is a widespread issue.  I just hid Market and Atlas and it works for me.  By the way, we've already removed Announcements.   In any case, if this isn't working reply here and I'll directly contact you so we can work together to fix the issue.

I am saying settings were lost when I initially upgraded. Once I removed "Upgrade your team" and "Market" they are gone for good.

Also, my team was not happy when I told them that Evernote thinks they are poor version of themselves. "Empower your team" sounds better to them. They are always interested in becoming empowered ;-) 

I have problems with Version 6.1 (452115 Direct),

Post opening Evernote, takes about 3 minutes to become unresponsive (multiple tries); uninstalled, emptied Trash, restarted Mac, then downloaded latest via Safari, … Of no value, back to:  takes about 3 minutes to become unresponsive (multiple tries),

Evernote: Version 6.1 (452115 Direct)

Mac:  MacBook Pro, OS 10.10.5 (14F27),

Force Quit in Activity Monitor, switched to Web Client.

If anyone has seen a reporting of bugs - please post a link here,

In the activity log the freeze is after:  Loading content from url evernotecid ____

I will likely downgrade tonight,

Thanks,

I have problems with Version 6.1 (452115 Direct),

Post opening Evernote, takes about 3 minutes to become unresponsive (multiple tries); uninstalled, emptied Trash, restarted Mac, then downloaded latest via Safari, … Of no value, back to:  takes about 3 minutes to become unresponsive (multiple tries),

Evernote: Version 6.1 (452115 Direct)
Mac:  MacBook Pro, OS 10.10.5 (14F27),

Force Quit in Activity Monitor, switched to Web Client.

If anyone has seen a reporting of bugs - please post a link here,

In the activity log the freeze is after:  Loading content from url evernotecid ____

I will likely downgrade tonight,

Thanks,

Hi MosesMoses.  I just sent you a direct message.  This is the 1st I've heard of this issue so we definitely want to track it down.  I've asked you for some specific information to help us diagnose.  Anyone else seeing this issue?

Marcus,

Thanks for writing, appreciated,

Update:  I had been deleting  the E app via Hazel, I switched to the guidance provide by NightStalker and JMichael here, 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78421-evernote-for-mac-6-mac-app-store-version-notes-not-loading-untitled-note-or-slowness-issues/page-2

I was on the the verge of installing, v5.7.2 , and I pondered that v6.1 looks and feels a whole lot better, try again, 

I installed 6.1 again, it is now, 1 hour in and running smoothly,

I have been an E user since 2009,  18000+ notes, use tags!!! the system is at the centre of my work flow, a glitch just illustrated how much I rely on the thing …  

Marcus,

Thanks for writing, appreciated,

Update:  I had been deleting  the E app via Hazel, I switched to the guidance provide by NightStalker and JMichael here, 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78421-evernote-for-mac-6-mac-app-store-version-notes-not-loading-untitled-note-or-slowness-issues/page-2

I was on the the verge of installing, v5.7.2 , and I pondered that v6.1 looks and feels a whole lot better, try again, 

I installed 6.1 again, it is now, 1 hour in and running smoothly,

I have been an E user since 2009,  18000+ notes, use tags!!! the system is at the centre of my work flow, a glitch just illustrated how much I rely on the thing …  

If you're upgrading from 5.7.2, there might also be a forced note reindexing that is going to tax your system...we worked really hard to reduce the impact but it can still slow things down.  Once this completes it should go back to normal.  Of course with 18K notes it may take awhile to finish indexing everything.  We've been fixing lots of bugs so I do think 6.1 is a lot better than 5.7.2 which we released back in November of last year. 

Hi. Has there been any particular reason for changing the formatting of saved simplified web articles?

Prior to 6.1, formatting involved reasonably wide, easy to read, column/paragraph. Evernote web clipper even still shows the preview of saved article this way. 

But 6.1 displays these articles using all width of window. All the way from left to right. 

Hello,

6.1 fails to resolve an issue I have reported to Evernote and also to Apple - several times now.

I have been running Developer Preview builds of El Capitan. As of this writing, I am running the most recent DP release (DP 8). Since ~ DP4 or DP5 (sorry, I can't recall when this started), if Evernote is in full screen mode, when I quit normally (through the menu or through a keyboard shortcut), Evernote will throw an error stating that "Evernote has unexpectedly quit". Of course, there was nothing unexpected about it at all - I had just issued the Quit command. Upon re-launching Evernote, I get another dialog reporting that Evernote had a problem and prompting me to report the bug (which I have done - several times now).

If Evernote is NOT in full screen mode when I quit, then Evernote quits normally and there is no error message. It looks as if EN does not "play nice" with Mission Control in El Capitan (or the reverse).

Regardless of root cause (EC code or EN code), this error is quite annoying. I try to remember to turn off full screen view before quitting, but I usually shut down in a hurry when I do and I often forget. And when I do forget... crash!

Are you aware of this? Is it being looked into? As mentioned, I've reported it several times.

Thanks,

Rique

Aaaaarrrgh what just happened, updated fine no probs, now when I open EN I get blank notes, preview snippet looks fine but the note opens blank.  Checked on web, content is still there but after this update I cant see my notes........

post-62397-0-61240700-1440767922_thumb.p

Hi. Has there been any particular reason for changing the formatting of saved simplified web articles?

Prior to 6.1, formatting involved reasonably wide, easy to read, column/paragraph. Evernote web clipper even still shows the preview of saved article this way. 

But 6.1 displays these articles using all width of window. All the way from left to right. 

As far as I know this hasn't changed but let me check with the team that works on this.

6.1 fails to resolve an issue I have reported to Evernote and also to Apple - several times now.

We're working on El Cap issue for this upcoming release.  Thanks for reporting the detailed steps to reproduce the issue.  This is very helpful.  We knew there was a crash happening with El Cap but we didn't have the steps to track it down so this will help a lot.  Thanks again.

Please help as soon as possible. I encountered the same error that RitaP did and I am stalled in all my work until Evernote is working again. You described it as a corruption of the database. How can I fix this ASAP?

Thanks.

Hi Apr.white, I direct messaged you.  Let me know if you have any issues.  

I am using El Cap and every time I try to update from 6.0.16 to 6.1 I get the error message below. This has been going on for some time now. Any tips?

Thanks for reporting this issue.  We're trying to figure out why people are seeing this error message but haven't figured out the root cause yet.  Maybe it's an incompatibility with El Cap? In any case, the fix is pretty easy.  Just download Evernote again from the Evernote.com web site and copy it over your current version into your application folder and everything will work fine.  You don't have to use the upgrade process to get upgraded.   

I am using El Cap and every time I try to update from 6.0.16 to 6.1 I get the error message below. This has been going on for some time now. Any tips?

Thanks for reporting this issue.  We're trying to figure out why people are seeing this error message but haven't figured out the root cause yet.  Maybe it's an incompatibility with El Cap? In any case, the fix is pretty easy.  Just download Evernote again from the Evernote.com web site and copy it over your current version into your application folder and everything will work fine.  You don't have to use the upgrade process to get upgraded.   

Worked perfectly, thanks!

I have Yosemite 10.10.5 on a mac. I am getting an error message after the install of 6.1 when it tries to migrate the notes. It says, "Evernote quit unexpectedly. Would you like to send a crash report?" Then after you say yes nothing happens and when you try to open Evernote from the applications, it says,"The last time you opened Evernote, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" and then says, "Would you like to send a crash report?"

I have tried to completely uninstall, then reinstall. I have tried to install pervious versions (6.0.13 and 6.0.16, but nothing is working. I have emptied my trash, restarted my computer many times. What do you suggest???

Unfortunately when Evernote crashed during migration it left your database in a corrupted state.  I'm not sure why it crashed but I'll tale a look at our logs to see if I can find your crash so we can fix it.  The bottom line is you need to restore your database.  I have sent you a direct message with these instructions.  Let me know how it goes.  Sorry this happened.  Can you tell me what version of Evernote you were upgrading from? 

Marcus

Sorry i meet the same situation. I want to install pervious version 6.08 but not the new 6.10. 

But i can not found the old version 6.08. Could you please give me a link to download 6.08?

Thank you so much.

I'm having the exact same issue, have tried updating multiple times over several days and got an error message saying update cannot be completed, try again later.  I'll try downloading from the link you posted, thanks. 

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 and am having a problem trying to upgrade from 6.0.16 to 6.1. When I answer yes to the usual question after starting Evernote if I want to upgrade to the newly available version, the new version downloads only to tell me that something went wrong and the update can't be done.

Chris998, thanks for reporting this issue.  We've been trying to track this issue down for awhile and would really like to get your help.  I've contacted you via a direct message.  We have also fixed the issue with the website yesterday afternoon and you should be able to download 6.1 now.  If anyone else runs into this update bug please just download a new version from the Evernote web site or you can download it from here.  We are still trying to figure out why some people are getting this error when they try to upgrade.

Did you remove the local notebooks feature from Evernote 6.1.14?

(Reference: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107)

Background:

• I had Evernote 6.0.16 installed on my Mac running Mac OS X 10.10.5, and I used local notebooks for my work notes. 
  • I couldn't open Evernote after restarting my computer, so I downloaded and installed Evernote 6.1.14 from your website.
  • All my local notebooks were missing, so I installed Evernote 6.0.16 from a dmg file I had saved on my computer. 
  • My local notebooks were restored once I reverted back to Evernote 6.0.16.

I’m getting a weird quirk when I drag and re-arrange items in the Shortcuts sidebar:

Thanks for pointing this out.  Unfortunately, this has been a bug for awhile but this is a great reminder that I need to prioritize it higher.  Thanks again for reporting this issue.

I have Yosemite 10.10.5 on a mac. I am getting an error message after the install of 6.0.13 when it tries to migrate the notes. It says, "Evernote quit unexpectedly. Would you like to send a crash report?" Then after you say yes nothing happens and when you try to open Evernote from the applications, it says,"The last time you opened Evernote, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" and then says, "Would you like to send a crash report?"

I have tried to completely uninstall, then reinstall. I have tried to install pervious versions (6.0.13 and 6.0.16, but nothing is working. I have emptied my trash, restarted my computer many times. What do you suggest???

I have Yosemite 10.10.5 on a mac. I am getting an error message after the install of 6.1 when it tries to migrate the notes. It says, "Evernote quit unexpectedly. Would you like to send a crash report?" Then after you say yes nothing happens and when you try to open Evernote from the applications, it says,"The last time you opened Evernote, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" and then says, "Would you like to send a crash report?"

Unfortunately when Evernote crashed during migration it left your database in a corrupted state.  I'm not sure why it crashed but I'll tale a look at our logs to see if I can find your crash so we can fix it.  The bottom line is you need to restore your database.  I have sent you a direct message with these instructions.  Let me know how it goes.  Sorry this happened.  Can you tell me what version of Evernote you were upgrading from? 

Thanks, Software Marcus! I followed your instructions and since I did not have any local notebooks, the instructions worked. I also restarted my computer just to double-check and all seems to be in order. To answer your question, I was upgrading from version 6.0.16. I had previously upgraded to version 6.0.13 in May, then upgraded to version 6.0.16 in the beginning of August. Really appreciate your quick response!

Thanks, Software Marcus! I followed your instructions and since I did not have any local notebooks, the instructions worked. I also restarted my computer just to double-check and all seems to be in order. To answer your question, I was upgrading from version 6.0.16. I had previously upgraded to version 6.0.13 in May, then upgraded to version 6.0.16 in the beginning of August. Really appreciate your quick response!

Thanks for letting the community know that the fix worked.  Just so everyone knows I gave RitaP instructions on how to delete the Evernote database.  The great thing about having everything in the cloud is that it's easy to recover.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the crash log in our system.  Whenever one crashes please add your user name and email to the crash dialog that appears on start-up.  This sends your crash log back to us so we can fix the issue.  If we have your user name and email then I can match it up with comments in the forums so we can figure out how the app crashed.  We really want to make sure we can fix the issues like RitaP ran into and if I can link it back to a specific crash in our logs then I can prioritize it higher even if only a few people run into it.  This is a bad enough crash that we want to fix it as soon as possible.  RitaP thanks again for reporting this problem in the forums so that others are of the issue.

You said: 

• Business users will now be required to use the new notebook view.  This is to help improve differentiation between business and personal content but also we allow you to search for notebooks that you haven’t joined.

My stacks contain both business and personal notebooks. Now that organization is broken, correct? If so, phooey. Seems to me that differentiating content can be done without manhandling individual desktops.

You said: 

My stacks contain both business and personal notebooks. Now that organization is broken, correct? If so, phooey. Seems to me that differentiating content can be done without manhandling individual desktops.

Yes the mixed business and personal notebooks under a single stack organization is discouraged which is the reason for the split.  Many of our business customers would like to make sure business content is only under business notebooks so they maintain control and have ownership of that content.  If you already have this organization, you will continue to see business and personal notebooks under the same stack but they will appear separately under they respective sections.  However, I believe they continue to appear combined under shortcuts.  This may not be your situation but some think that business notebooks are always shared with everyone in the business and this isn't true.  You can have a business notebook that only you see the content of so it's kind of like a personal notebook but the business maintains ownership and control over that content.  

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 and am having a problem trying to upgrade from 6.0.16 to 6.1. When I answer yes to the usual question after starting Evernote if I want to upgrade to the newly available version, the new version downloads only to tell me that something went wrong and the update can't be done.

I have been patient and waited a few days, but this keeps repeating.

I now downloaded Evernote from the Website, mounted the .dmg and moved the app to the Applications folder over-writing the existing Evernote. After starting Evernote I found to my amazement, I still have version 6.0.16, and that is the one I just now obtained by clicking on the download button of the Evernote website.

What is going on? Did you pull 6.1? Will I be able to update to 6.1? How?

Thank you in advance!

Chris998, thanks for reporting this issue.  We've been trying to track this issue down for awhile and would really like to get your help.  I've contacted you via a direct message.  We have also fixed the issue with the website yesterday afternoon and you should be able to download 6.1 now.  If anyone else runs into this update bug please just download a new version from the Evernote web site or you can download it from here.  We are still trying to figure out why some people are getting this error when they try to upgrade.

Metrodon is right.  There are 2 versions of Evernote on the Mac - direct download and app store.  We submitted the app store version to Apple last Thursday and are just waiting for Apple to review it.  Once they review and approve we'll publish that build and it will get automatically uploaded on your system if you've set that up.  There are subtle differences between the 2.  One is the way the app updates from version to version.  For direct download we control when it releases and when we think it's ready we can publish it directly to customers.  App Store requires Apple review and approval.  The other is the way the app interacts with the operating system and other applications.  App Store builds run more like iPhone apps and run in something called the sandbox.  This can make them more reliable because other apps can't easily interact with it but this also means it sometimes makes it a little harder for us to get Evernote to interact with other apps. 

Unfortunately, not only does this update not address a big problem for me (JPEGs dragged from Chrome under OSX10.9 into Evernote application become massive PNGs) but it breaks the feature whereby images in Evernote could be dragged onto the desktop.  Now, under 10.9.5, when I try to do this, my mouse cursor becomes a "forbidden" symbol.

The dragging issue has now been resolved with a reboot and PRAM reset.  However the JPEG-to-PNG issue remains.

Unfortunately, not only does this update not address a big problem for me (JPEGs dragged from Chrome under OSX10.9 into Evernote application become massive PNGs) but it breaks the feature whereby images in Evernote could be dragged onto the desktop.  Now, under 10.9.5, when I try to do this, my mouse cursor becomes a "forbidden" symbol.

I have a few thoughts on this subject.

1) Copying and pasting and dragging and dropping are a 2 app process.  There's the app that you copy or drag from.  That app is responsible for the items they decide to put up on the clipboard.  Then there's the app on the paste or drop side of the equation.  This second app decides what if any of the formats that are on the clipboard they will import.  So whenever there is a copy and paste "bug" it can be caused by one of the 2 apps.  Converting a JPG to PNG is a result of either Chrome or Evernote changing something.

2) For Google Chrome users, there are 2 possible work arounds.  

• The first is the one you describe which is to copy the image to the desktop first and then to drag it into Evernote.  It sounds like the issue you were seeing with this method isn't broken in Evernote but was a specific system issue that you corrected by rebooting and doing a PRAM reset.  
  • Another method which might work better is to simply use Safari to drag and drop the image.  In my testing this appears to work fine and speaks to my point about different apps do different things.

I bring this up only to say that copy and paste and drag and drop issues are not easy to fix because there are 2 apps involved any one of which can change what they are doing potentially fixing or breaking the drag and drop process.

• Level 5*

1) Copying and pasting and dragging and dropping are a 2 app process.  There's the app that you copy or drag from.  That app is responsible for the items they decide to put up on the clipboard.  Then there's the app on the paste or drop side of the equation.  This second app decides what if any of the formats that are on the clipboard they will import.  So whenever there is a copy and paste "bug" it can be caused by one of the 2 apps.  Converting a JPG to PNG is a result of either Chrome or Evernote changing something.

@Marcus:

You make a good point:  Two apps involved.

So, I decided to test this.

I dragged an image from Chrome (your avatar above) from Chrome to my Yosemite 10.10.5 desktop.

It was stored as a .jpg (Type: JPEG) on my desktop, size: 2,745 bytes.

When I drag same image from Chrome to EN Mac 6.1, it converts it to a PNG, 5X the size of the JPG.  See my post above.

So, would you say that this clearly puts the ball in Evernote's court, that EN is the app making the improper conversion?

If drag/drop works to the desktop (retains type and size), shouldn't it work to EN?

There is a Clipboard Inspector app that will tell you exactly what is on the clipboard.

I'm sure your Devs would have this app.

Also I've noticed Evernote have removed the "account resets in x days" status bar in 6.1 — which is most annoying. So I would advise against upgrading to 6.1 if you ever need to check how your quota is going.  

If I'm understanding your comment above correctly, I think you just missed the information.  We did get rid of the progress bar but the text is still there.  (The screenshot below is my actual account info reset information). 

I would highly recommend staying with 6.1.  It has a ton of bug fixes like fixing an issue where some users would get into an infinite sync problem and we also fixed 5 of the top 10 crashing issues.  It's obviously your choice but I think there's a lot of good stuff in 6.1.

post-223937-0-17525900-1440624109_thumb.

@Marcus:

You make a good point:  Two apps involved.

So, I decided to test this.

I dragged an image from Chrome (your avatar above) from Chrome to my Yosemite 10.10.5 desktop.

It was stored as a .jpg (Type: JPEG) on my desktop, size: 2,745 bytes.

When I drag same image from Chrome to EN Mac 6.1, it converts it to a PNG, 5X the size of the JPG.  See my post above.

So, would you say that this clearly puts the ball in Evernote's court, that EN is the app making the improper conversion?

If drag/drop works to the desktop (retains type and size), shouldn't it work to EN?

There is a Clipboard Inspector app that will tell you exactly what is on the clipboard.

I'm sure your Devs would have this app.

Not necessarily. If you copy that same image from the desktop to Evernote it works fine.  Also if you drag and drop from Safari to Evernote it also works fine.  So both those "apps" are using a format that Evernote works great with.  For some reason Chrome doesn't use or no longer uses that same format. 

With that said, there's a lot of Chrome users and it doesn't really make sense to point fingers but I'm just pointing out that this could also be fixed by Chrome.

Thanks for the new version.

It would be nice, if the software remembered my sidebar settings. If I removed the "Market" and "Business" ads before, do not show them again, please. I pay for Premium to avoid seeing ads. Thank you.

Are you saying these settings were lost when you initially upgraded or are you saying these are not remembered even after you reboot Evernote?  We should be remembering Market.  I'm not sure about Business.  In any case, we haven't changed this so if it's not remembering it's a bug.  I also don't think this is a widespread issue.  I just hid Market and Atlas and it works for me.  By the way, we've already removed Announcements.   In any case, if this isn't working reply here and I'll directly contact you so we can work together to fix the issue.

• Level 5*

Not necessarily. If you copy that same image from the desktop to Evernote it works fine.  Also if you drag and drop from Safari to Evernote it also works fine.  So both those "apps" are using a format that Evernote works great with.  For some reason Chrome doesn't use or no longer uses that same format. 

With that said, there's a lot of Chrome users and it doesn't really make sense to point fingers but I'm just pointing out that this could also be fixed by Chrome.

Sorry, Marcus.  I don't follow your logic.

Both the Mac OS and EN have access to the same clipboard that Chrome provides.

So, if the Mac OS can get the JPEG image on the clipboard, shouldn't Evernote be able to also?

Using my Clipboard app, it shows that when I drag your avatar, Chrome provides a clipboard class of "public.jpeg", which is available to all apps.

Chrome-Drag-Clipboard.png

I think the point you're making is that Evernote could make it work and I'm not disputing that. My main point is that this isn't necessarily an Evernote bug if Chrome isn't supporting a standard clipboard format that both Evernote and Safari work with. This reminds me of the issue with Apple Photos. After Apple Photos shipped a number of customers blamed Evernote when photo drag and drop stopped working even though Evernote hadn't changed. Drag and drop requires both apps to support the same format.

Anyway, this is just a theoretical discussion since I have no idea why this doesn't work. We'll need one of our developers to take a look.

I hate asking noob questions, but here goes:

I've been an Evernote Premium user on Windows and iPad for more than 4 years. I just made the change to an iMac a month ago. The first program i installed was Evernote from the App Store.

I see from your post that a week ago you released a new version. Checking for updates on the App Store still shows 6.0.16 and no update available. Checking all the options in Evernote, I can't find a "Check for Update" option like there is on Windows. How exactly are updates distributed for the Mac? It's been a week since you announced the update is out, but I can't seem to automatically get it. I am reluctant at this point as a new Mac user to download the app from the Evernote web site, I'd prefer it come automatically. Am I missing something?

John

• Level 5*

Evernote distributes through the App Store and directly.

Personally, I prefer the direct download version - it's updated more quickly (no waiting on Apple approval) and there have been a couple of features that the App Store version has struggled to support because of Apple's requirements.

If you don't want to use the direct download then you have to wait for Evernote to submit the app to Apple and for Apple to approve it, then it will show up as an update.

Archived