My Notes are disappearing after sharing

I have a problem with shared notebooks. Here is the workflow for my writing team:

1. I create a master notebook of article topics - "Content_Ideas"
  2. I share Content_Ideas with all my writers
  3. I create individual notebooks for all my writers - "Writing Queue Jane", "Writing Queue Jill" etc
  4. I share respective notebooks with individual authors
  5. Writers browse "Content Ideas" , then move a note into personal their "Writing Queue" notebook

This all seems to work fine - from the writer's point of view.

However the problem is, as soon as the writers move an item from "Content_Ideas" into their own "Writing Queue" notebook, I cannot see it in either of these notebooks.

The writers can see the changes but I can't.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

• Level 5*

Hi.  Try adding your own temporary note to the shared notebooks and syncing.  Forcing a two-way exchange might jump-start the process.  Alternatively log out of Evernote completely,  then back in to force a reload of the account data...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've tried adding temp notes to all the notebooks and syncing. This doesn't appear to do anything.

I've also tried the 'switch it on/off' , 'log on/off' approach. Again, no joy.

I'm wondering if the issue may be a permissions conflict/bug.

ie in "Content_Ideas" the note is shared between all writers. But when a writer moves a note, the individual notebooks are only accessible to the respective writer.

This shows on both my phone, the desktop client and the web client.

Any ideas anyone?

• Level 5*
@HillofBeans:

If this behavior is consistently repeatable, then you may want to submit a bug report.

If you are a Premium account owner, you can get a quicker response using EN Support Chat.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

@JMichael

Thank you for the suggestion. However this is not a bug. It seems to be an oversight/undersight in the software specification.

I've resolved the issue by adjusting steps 3 and 4 in the workflow described in my original post.

Instead of me creating notebooks for my writers and sharing with my writers, now each writer creates their own notebook and shares it with me.

This is not ideal, as my writers now have full control of sharing permissions. However this is the only way that Evernote can accommodate this workflow.

It works. But it's a workaround.

It's OK I guess as it's free software. But I'd be really pi**ed if I had paid for a subscription.

• Level 5*

Thank you for the suggestion. However this is not a bug. It seems to be an oversight/undersight in the software specification.

Well, it certainly is up to you whether or not to report this as a bug.  But from what you described below, if it is repeatable, then it sounds like some type of sync bug to me.

Since you own all of the involved Notebooks, when the others move the Notes between these Notebooks, you should be able to see the changes, after they have sync'd and then you have sync'd.

IOW, all parties who have access to a shared NB should be able to see changes made to it.

However the problem is, as soon as the writers move an item from "Content_Ideas" into their own "Writing Queue" notebook, I cannot see it in either of these notebooks.

The writers can see the changes but I can't.

Archived