Web Client Release Notes - 8/19/2015 - Move Note Behavior & Copy Notelink

nanphan

Idea

Hello everyone! Thank you for all of the great feedback on the navigation model and sorry for the inconvenience with not having copy notelink. Both changes are now in and were a part of last night's release. 

- Nancy 

• Move Note Behavior - For users who have a default notebook and tend to move multiple notes to different notebooks at one time, we've now reverted our navigation model back to its previous behavior. After moving a note, the UI will no longer automatically jump to notebook the note was moved to. Instead, it will stay in the current notebook. For users who wish to quickly jump to the notebook the note was moved to, they can do so 2 different ways:
    • Jump to Notebook - While hovering over the notebook name in the note, a little green arrow will show up. Clicking this icon will let you quickly go to that notebook. 
    • Confirmation toast - After a note is moved, a confirmation toast will show, notifying you the note has bee moved. You can also click on the link in that toast to go to the new Notebook.
  • Copy Note Link - For users who want to create direct links to specific notes, we've added in the ability to copy a notelink under the "..." menu at the top of a note. Unlike public link feature available in the Share menu in a note, this feature allows you to copy the private reference to a note. The link will only work for users who already have access to the note. If you are not familiar with this feature you can learn more about it in our KB article here.  

15 replies to this idea

Where is this "..." menu at the top of each note (the one containing the long awaited copy link function)? Nothing of the sort actually is visible.

Not sure why you are not seeing it. It is in the row of actions with reminders, shortcuts, and delete. It is specifically right of the delete button. Please make sure you are looking at the note and not the notelist. 

- Nancy 

Clearing data cache does not help. The "see it while reloading and then it disappears" seems to occur on every note I look at, regardless of how I navigate to the note (shortcuts, searches, etc.) - This is happening on a Chromebook with the latest general OS release.

Ahhh thanks for the details.  If you don't have Flash the feature won't work. We'll look into a workaround so you have access to the link and can manually copy it.  - Nancy 

Clearing data cache does not help. The "see it while reloading and then it disappears" seems to occur on every note I look at, regardless of how I navigate to the note (shortcuts, searches, etc.) - This is happening on a Chromebook with the latest general OS release.

Glad to be of help. The "workaround" you mention might want to be the standard approach since there are numerous advisories lately recommending disabling Flash due to security and performance issues. They say the performance hit from enabling Flash is truly astounding and the history of security glitches is legendary. Perhaps not the best dependency for a product (re)launch, although today I suspect most Evernote users have Flash enabled and won't notice. But if the Flash disabling idea spreads, it will increasingly look like Evernote Web is broken. I'd expect this to show up first in your business users who have some kind of IT function and may be more aware of the Flash problems. Good luck!

• Level 5

Hi Nancy,

Great news! I like the new/old way of moving notes and the possibility to jump to other notebooks via the little arrow is a fantastic idea!

I also appreciate the possibility to copy note links but it doesn't work for me. The three dots are there, the menu with the entry to copy a note link appears, when clicking on it a text appears that the link has been copied to the clipboard, but the clipboard is empty or still holds the content copied to it before.

My System: Redhat Enterprise 6.4, Firefox 40.0.3, Shockwave Flash Plugin 11.2 r202. Gnome 2.28.2.

[uPDATE]: I think I found the reason for the missing copy to clipboard problem: The Adblock Plus extension! It has to be switched off for evernote.com.

• Level 5

I want to report another minor bug. When I add a reminder to a note with a somewhat longer title and when I then open the reminder section ('ERINNERUNG' in German) in the left list of notes the title text overlaps a bit with the German text for 'Edit' which is 'Bearbeiten':

Bildschirmfoto%202015-08-21%20um%2017.47

I want to report another minor bug. When I add a reminder to a note with a somewhat longer title and when I then open the reminder section ('ERINNERUNG' in German) in the left list of notes the title text overlaps a bit with the German text for 'Edit' which is 'Bearbeiten':

Bildschirmfoto%202015-08-21%20um%2017.47

Thank you for the bug report. 

• Level 5

Hi Nancy,

I am sorry but I have to report a bug on Linux. In a previous post I thought that Adblock Plus was the problem but that was on my Mac. On Linux the "Copy Note Link" does not work. I can open the menu by clicking on the three dots and when I select the menu "Copy Note Link" I get a message that the links has been copied to the clipboard but the clipboard is empty. The clipboard works. For example Copy & Paste from e.g. a web page into an Evernote note works fine. I deactivated all Firefox extensions not just Adblock Plus without success.

My System: Redhat Enterprise 6.4, Firefox 40.0.3, Shockwave Flash Plugin 11.2 r202. Gnome 2.28.2.

Unfortunately, I can not use/test it on Chrome because this is not available on my system.

What I don't understand is why Flash is required for this... can't it be done in JavaScript?

I think that may take a few tens of megabytes off the browser's memory consumption, as well as avoid another attack surface for malicious hackers (no Flash, less worries). Plus, more compatibility with a wider range of browsers. A lot of Linux users don't stick to Firefox/Chrome/Chromium, since there are other browsers that are light on system resources and get the job done just fine (e.g. https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Web).

Ahhh thanks for the details.  If you don't have Flash the feature won't work. We'll look into a workaround so you have access to the link and can manually copy it.  - Nancy 

Hi All, Nancy,

Moving the notes works fine, thanks for this feature. Also the jumping to the target notebook is working great.

Further :

As Stuhrer wrote, same on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, FF40.0, Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 : doesn't work,

But does work in Chrome Version 44.0.2403.155 (64-bit)

Greetz,

Pieter.

Hi Nancy,

I am sorry but I have to report a bug on Linux. In a previous post I thought that Adblock Plus was the problem but that was on my Mac. On Linux the "Copy Note Link" does not work. I can open the menu by clicking on the three dots and when I select the menu "Copy Note Link" I get a message that the links has been copied to the clipboard but the clipboard is empty. The clipboard works. For example Copy & Paste from e.g. a web page into an Evernote note works fine. I deactivated all Firefox extensions not just Adblock Plus without success.

Unfortunately, I can not use/test it on Chrome because this is not available on my system.

Evernote Web appears broken for me because, as many users here have reported, the Copy Notelink feature copies absolutely nothing to the clipboard, despite displaying a message that it has done so. I'm using FF on Ubuntu 12.04. Even enabling Flash didn't resolve the issue  - not that I ever want to use Flash anyway. I'll work around this and just hope that Evernote considers moving away from the use of Flash. Hopefully another implementation will fix the problem.

Archived