HowTo: Select tags for note from a list of existing tags

When I create a new note, I would like to select the appropriate tags from my existing tags. Can I drag a tag to a note. Or insert one from a popUp list. I find it difficult to remember the tags I already created. I am working on very diverse projects and language is such an ambigious tool for tagging. It seems that every time I have to tag something I come up with a new tag, depending on the context I am working in. I dont like that, I want to keep the number of tags low.

Thanks for your help,

HM

• Level 5*

Hi.  In EN Windows desktop Ctrl-Alt-T will get you a checkable list of existing tags.  I found it helpful also to keet my current tag combinations in a temporary note as "tag1,tag2,tag3".  Cut and paste the comma-delimited string into your tag field and it will split into three separate tags.  Quicker than typing or tickboxing.

Hi.  In EN Windows desktop Ctrl-Alt-T will get you a checkable list of existing tags.  I found it helpful also to keet my current tag combinations in a temporary note as "tag1,tag2,tag3".  Cut and paste the comma-delimited string into your tag field and it will split into three separate tags.  Quicker than typing or tickboxing.

Thank you, sounds like what I am looking for, but it does not work in OS10.9.4. Where is your cursor at that moment? In the "tag-Entryline" of your note? Or in the note's text/content area?

Always good to state your OS in the query - ⌃ ⌘ T should do the job from anywhere in the Evernote window.  https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168732

sorry, yes, always! And I have to admit that I am using the german version of OSX

Thanks for refering me to that list, but it still does not work ⌃ ⌘ T lets me create a new tag... ok! Thats not what I want, I want a list of existing (created before in evernote (of course all thinkable tags do "exist" but not in my evernote instance)) tags from which I can choose one from a list and assign it to a note. For me tagging is the most important feature in evernote. I tend to know that I came across something but do not know were and when, and I do not remember the tag I found appropriate at that time. Sorry, I am trying to compensate for my weak memory by using an external, extended memory.

• Level 5*

If I understand you correctly, the assign tag dialog should let you scroll through all of your tags, there is an add tag option in the dialog as well.  Windows view below.

post-58142-0-38875300-1440084444_thumb.p

• Level 5*

The OP, HeinMueck, is using EN Mac, and unfortunately EN Mac does have have the "Assign Tags" dialog that EN Win does.

@HeinMueck:

Here are some suggestions to help you make better use of Tags, and (hopefully) prevent you from creating more tags that are just synonyms for existing ones:

1. Show the Tag List in the Left SidePanel
  2. Use a common prefix for related tags, so when you type the prefix in the Note Assign Tag block it will show a dropdown list of tags.
    1. For some examples of this, see The Benefit of Using Tags  
  3. When you start typing a tag name in the Note Assign Tag block, if Evernote does not autocomplete it for you it means a tag starting with those character does not exist.  Before you hit RETURN to assign create and assign the tag, pause for a moment to reflect on whether or not you may have created another tag that is really a synonym.

Thank you, sounds like what I am looking for, but it does not work in OS10.9.4. Where is your cursor at that moment? In the "tag-Entryline" of your note? Or in the note's text/content area?

If I understand you correctly, the assign tag dialog should let you scroll through all of your tags, there is an add tag option in the dialog as well.  Windows view below.

Here are some suggestions to help you make better use of Tags, and (hopefully) prevent you from creating more tags that are just synonyms for existing ones:

1. Show the Tag List in the Left SidePanel

That helps.

1. Use a common prefix for related tags, so when you type the prefix in the Note Assign Tag block it will show a dropdown list of tags.
    1. For some examples of this, see The Benefit of Using Tags

I studied that thread.... ok, ok I understand, this is an emotional, philosophical, religious issue. But I understand that ,if I do not start now to use tags, it will not be manageable to add them later. Hm, hm haven't decided yet... Maybe use another software like "hazzle" or "devonthink" or "onenote".

1. When you start typing a tag name in the Note Assign Tag block, if Evernote does not autocomplete it for you it means a tag starting with those character does not exist.  Before you hit RETURN to assign create and assign the tag, pause for a moment to reflect on whether or not you may have created another tag that is really a synonym.

That is exactly what I wanted to avoid. You know what great interface design means: "Don't make me think"

• Level 5*
@HeinMueck:

Sorry you didn't find my suggestions helpful.

Could you please edit your post above, and move your comments outside of the quote block.

The way it is now makes it appear that I made statements that, in fact, you added.

Your statements start with "I studied that thread"

Thanks.

Archived