(Archived) Web: Note options has really long list

Now don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we can do all sorts of stuff to a note with the web version, e.g., add tags, remove tags, etc. However, I think that the drop-down list is going to be too long. Here's mine right now:

post-1775-131906061851_thumb.png

I've been using the beta for just over three hours now, and I've already got a note operations scroll list that is too big for one viewing. See how each tag is going to get its own line?

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Group the add/remove/move together. For example, if I want to remove a couple of the tags that are already on the note, it would be much easier for me to scroll say, down to the bottom, to see all tags already assigned. Instead, I need to scroll sort of alphabetically, to find where the tag name would be in an alpha list. I say "sort of" because it's hard on the brain to scroll through a list where it's not the beginning of the list that's alphabetical, but rather a point in the middle.

2. I don't know if this is feasible with the technology, but keep the tag hierarchies perhaps. So, that way, I don't end up scrolling through 1000 categories, but rather a hierarchy that I've already set up. Note that although this may seem counter-intuitive, you'll most likely discover that most of us with hierarchical categories actually know kind of "where" specific categories are located in the hierarchy.

3. Failing that, do a hierarchy based on letters of the alphabet, e.g., all the categories starting wth A under an A, etc.

I think these things will help the scroll list scale better.

This is my biggest problem with the current state of the web GUI as well. We're looking at lots of alternatives, the primary among them being getting rid of tags from that menu completely by beefing up drag-and-drop between tags and notes. As you know d-n-d on the web has typically been a bit flaky, so we might have to resort to something like what you recommend.

Archived