How dangerous are "not responding" crashes of Evernote for Windows?

Lately, my Evernote for Windows (7) has crashed twice and gone into "not responding" mode. I had to tell Windows to force it to close.

I run very stable systems in general. This is really only Evernote and its lack of adequate maturity in spite of its market dominance (don't get me started).

Given that I have it on multiple computers at multiple locations as well as a few handheld devices, and it's usually all running and syncing all the time, it caused me considerable concern to see this occurring.

For now, it seems it re-opened okay with no apparent issues. But in general, well, I know it's a vague and subjective issue but how much should it cause me concern when I see this happen? Naturally, my concern is it could corrupt not just the item I was working on but possibly a lot more, and not just on the local machine.

I think I'm asking mainly just to sleep better at night since there's not much I can do about it and I suppose it's going to generally limit itself to the local machine (I hope) and the one item I'm working on at the moment (I hope).

Thanks!

AllAndNothing - I experience the "not responding" problem with Evernote every 2-3 days. I always have Windows force Evernote to "close" and have never encountered a problem. Never the less, I do make sure I sync Evenote once a day for fear of a major catastrophe.

One other thought, it seems like the "not responding" problem frequently occurs when I first start Evernote up or switch back to it after a couple hours of leaving Evernote idle. When I do, I have a tendency to try do something with Evernote very quickly and it seems like it needs 20-30 seconds to "wake" up. I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe Evernote and/or Windows is moving Notes or indexes back into memory. Whatever, maybe give Evernote 20-30 seconds to "wake up" and see if that reduces the frequency of the "not responding" problem.

• Level 5*

Lately, my Evernote for Windows (7) has crashed twice and gone into "not responding" mode. I had to tell Windows to force it to close.

I run very stable systems in general. This is really only Evernote and its lack of adequate maturity in spite of its market dominance (don't get me started).

First, if this continues to happen, then you might want to submit a bug report.

Second, you might try a simple app reinstall.   If that doesn't work, then we can explore more complex fixes.

For this type of problem, sometimes a simple reinstall of the app will fix the problem.

This should not affect any of your Notes or other data.

But if you have any Local Notebooks, you might want to export them to ENEX files just to be safe.

To reinstall the app, see Evernote KB Article: How do I uninstall and reinstall Evernote [App]?

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• 2 months later...

Archived