Error trying to sync, tried following some forum posts but got stuck

Yesterday, I was unable to sync with EN. I made a few bookmarks in Safari using the web clipper, which was unable to pull up my tags and was also unable to set the default notebook to Inbox, which is how I had the preferences set.  It was stuck with the select menu blank, and I could not select it. Some other preferences in the Safari Extension were able to be altered, others were not.

In EN the Desktop App, downloaded from the web, not the store, I got a red alert on the sync button, and nothing was coming in.  An alert popped up but I can't remember exactly what it said.  Something alone the lines of unable to sync, it had a triangle next to it for getting more info, but there was no more info in that area.  I believe it also said to contact support.  I was planning on it, and then it worked itself out.  I suspect internet connection issues to the EN servers.  Though my connection was solid to any other service. I have not dug into where EN's data center is, if they use AWS or something similar etc.

In reading the forums, it was suggested that I filter out  my notes for the ones that were "pending notes".  I believe it was this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/7094-failed-to-sync-pending-notes/

Can someone explain to me this "pending notes" feature, and how I locate them, filter them, or otherwise search them out.

Thank you.

Hey JM!

I looked at the link, even hand typed in the URL's to the screen shots and there was no more data than was in the thread.  Were you just ambling that there was probably a connectivity issue and it would go away?  I am more after the answer to what this ability is to find these "pending notes" that I can then import or save as a reminder to put them back in, or delete them as maybe they are corrupt.

Connectivity wise, I got the same great error message you did, if I remember correct.  I will look at the status page more often.  Does EN still have weekly planned downtime?  That certainly needs solving IMHO.  Right now, I think that a lot of the posts about connection are not related to Evernotes system, but Level3 who they seem to peer with, or at least have some relationship with.  I posted about this in another thread and hope to see what they can do about it, as it would help perhaps hundreds of thousands of others Evernote users or not.  Level3 is up to something shady in my opinion, from everything i have read at least.

I mean, look at this: http://www.dslreports.com/routerwatch/ae-4-90.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.netand if you look at the history, or just look at it every day, today actually looks pretty good, but all that red is bad.

Thanks JM

• Level 5*

Hey Grey,

To be blunt, I rarely get a sync error, and when I do I just try again.  This almost always works.

In my many years using EN, I've rarely had a corrupt Note, maybe only once or twice.

So I really don't have the time or interest to go down the Level3 rabbit trail.   ;)

Good luck!

Hey Grey,

To be blunt, I rarely get a sync error, and when I do I just try again.  This almost always works.

In my many years using EN, I've rarely had a corrupt Note, maybe only once or twice.

So I really don't have the time or interest to go down the Level3 rabbit trail.   ;)

Good luck!

And what a rabbit hole that will be.  Back in early 2000 I had a small ISP that I owned and had to open tickets like this all the time.  At that time, it wasn't so bad, there was no Netflix, if there was a problem it was rare they didn't know about it first. Now, it is all politics.  Back then, you could pick up the phone and someone would login to a router and take a look, now, I don't have the credentials to make those phone calls any more.  It's letters to the FCC, which did in fact get Comcast to call me and look into talking to level 3, as they see the asme on their end finally.

This is on of two things, packet loss, or throttling, or a bit of both.  I suspect level 3 is throttling very heavy to make sure people have crappy Netflix experiences.  I believe Level3 and Netflix are pretty close to each other actually.

I would love to see a trace back to me, someone on Comcast as well, that is the only way I can truly troubleshoot as to what this is.  I have certainly seen packet loss, where it is a trick down, here node x loses 1% and node x+1 loses 10 and x+2 loses 30 and so on.  That behavior, and what I feel is a small uptick in the number of posts here about connection/sync issues, I do feel are related.

I don't like data corruption, all the way down to the file system and the silent data corruption that is happening to all of our computers as we speak. I really wish Apple would have not walked out on the ZFS plan, as that would solve that and so many other issues in such a great way.  Now I have to build my own NAS if I want that level of quality in a filesystem.  I hope your data corruption is only one or two notes, but in my opinion, that is one or two too many.  Even is this is a connection issue, there are simple ways to make sure the data is not corrupted, which I hope Evernote looks into as a means to prevent this from happening.

Even in the simplest of ways, an md5 hash of the note as the first thing sent, or received, and then post receipt, depending on which end you are on, they compare the md5 of the file post xfer, if they don't match, abort the operation and try again.

I have climbed out of the rabbit hole for now, hopefully things go smoother from now on.  You don't happen to know how to find these so called unsyc'd notes in EN do you?

Archived