Offline Notebooks Download Behavior

Hello,

It appears that when notebooks are selected to be downloaded - and available when offline - that the download process only happens while I am in the Evernote for iOS app. 

Even though background app refresh is enabled, if I move to another app, the notebook downloading process halts until I return to Evernote.

Seems that this is not the way things should be - has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

southernforge

@annah:
Does EN iOS take advantage of the Apple iOS feature of "background refresh"?
What about syncing?

In settings EN does get option for Background Sync.  I've had it enabled since it became available.  However, it is flaky at best.  I suspected that device memory issues may be at fault, so I turned the option off for most apps but kept EN enabled.  Still flaky.  My iPhone and iPad have plenty of memory available (4.5 GB+) and I still have to wait for a sync to happen on app launch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

So sorry for the delay on this, I wanted some clarification from our development team. 

Evernote does not use Apple's “Background App Refresh”. The Evernote service will ask Apple to send push notifications to a user’s device to perform a sync when users have changes to notes in their account. We feel that this is a better solution than background refresh because it will only cause the app to be launched when there are changes, which will save battery life and network use.

Note that Push Notifications must be enabled in iOS settings in order for this functionality to work.

So sorry for the delay on this, I wanted some clarification from our development team. 

Evernote does not use Apple's “Background App Refresh”. The Evernote service will ask Apple to send push notifications to a user’s device to perform a sync when users have changes to notes in their account. We feel that this is a better solution than background refresh because it will only cause the app to be launched when there are changes, which will save battery life and network use.

Note that Push Notifications must be enabled in iOS settings in order for this functionality to work.

Thank you for the clarification of how EN works in the background.  I guess now I understand why after a fresh install EN asks for permission to send push notifications after a notice about background sync.

Can I ask further that if background sync does not work, which is often the case for me, is that due to lack of memory?

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same problem.

Ive been a premium user for years and have thousands of notes. I just got a new phone and would like all my offline notebooks downloaded. 

However, not having background app refresh makes it impossible to sync several gigs of data - I've been trying for days.

Dear Evernote: Are you telling me that the ONLY way for me to download my offline notebooks (the KEY premium feature) on my phone is to leave the app open and prevent my phone from locking for multiple days (can't even turn the screen off) ??

(I'm on the latest version using an iPhone 6s. I'll start a new thread if necessary.)

• Level 5*

I'm not with EN but I think the answer is yes.  I recently did a refresh of about 10GB and my method was to dock my phone unlocked with EN open overnight.  It was complete by the time I woke up.

11 hours ago, csihilling said:

I'm not with EN but I think the answer is yes.  I recently did a refresh of about 10GB and my method was to dock my phone unlocked with EN open overnight.  It was complete by the time I woke up.

Thanks - this eventually worked. Just seems so strange to me that there isn't a more intuitive and practical way - Especially since background app refresh has been around for years now.

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Yeah, it's not obvious, it seems once you start the sync that it should continue unless you close the app.  

Personally I shy away from background updating, too much battery consumption in my limited experience. 

Archived