Basic editing still buggy -- come on!

I just want to vent and, uh, provide feedback and request that the developers PLEASE put more emphasis on smoothing out the bugs -- or let's just call it severe quirkiness -- of basic editing and navigation when just typing into notes!

Then go back to worrying about selling socks and backpacks. I'm guessing a better user experience during daily use of the product has much more impact on the company's bottom line -- for better or worse -- than marketing tricks.

Seriously, we're busy business users! It can't be that difficult to make it behave more smoothly!

(I know making the text formatting more compatible with other programs would be asking too much, but at least having it just behave normally most of the time would be really nice.)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so let me expand my gripe -- uh, I mean constructive feedback. Twice in the past week while just doing normal work and navigation in Evernote for Windows, the program crashed and "stopped responding." I had to tell Windows to force it to close.

Yesterday, I was in a Note, and used the dropdown above it to tell it to change Notebooks it was in. That worked okay at first. I did it again and, BAMM! Fifteen minutes into watching a spinning circle and a "not responding" message, I had to force it to close.

Which, guess what, didn't exactly give me a warm and cozy feeling about the integrity of all of my vital business data that I have stored in Evernote, or about the possibility that a crash like that could potentially compromise the Evernote data across all devices and in the cloud. It seems to have been okay -- it opened okay after -- but don't you think I'm a little less likely to keep committing and am a little more open to exploring alternatives to Evernote? Not to mention that it's just a moral, ethical, professional responsibility to provide a properly functioning product for your customers once you take their money!

Understand I am a pretty advanced business user. I keep my systems meticulously well configured and well maintained. (I have a lot at stake and have to be diligent in that way -- in my former business I had the same attorney and accountant as Steve Jobs, and today major entities are calling our natural health product the most important medical development of modern times). Nothing I use goes into "not responding" and has to be closed. Oh, maybe once a year. NOT twice in a week with the same program...

... except... Evernote!

What is UP with the priorities with this company? Does someone at headquarters really believe the consultant or executive or department head who advises that selling ridiculous odds-and-ends in their marketing -- which business users SEE and surely must invariably wrinkle their brows over -- is better for the company's bottom line than making the damn software just STABLE? It's 2015, people! Software can be STABLE! It really is possible! And if you don't think it affects user choices on what to use, maybe you need to get a new guru to do your market analysis for you!

And if you feel you’re too big to fail, to so speak, well, where's the sense of integrity at headquarters to just do the right thing for your customer base? We're not asking for anything spectacular here, just STABILITY, to save us time and our hard-earned work!

• Level 5*

I just want to vent and, uh, provide feedback and request that the developers PLEASE put more emphasis on smoothing out the bugs -- or let's just call it severe quirkiness -- of basic editing and navigation when just typing into notes!

I agree, Evernote needs to focus on fixing bugs, basic stability, and performance.

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

An Evernote employee may, or may not, read this thread.  If you want to make sure Evernote hears you, then you might want to submit a bug report.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

It has always seemed ironic to me that of all the things Evernote - with "note" in its name - can do, note taking is the weakest. It does a great job of capturing web clips or storing photos and PDFs or capturing a table from a spreadsheet. But if I want to take notes, I use something else. No matter what platform (I've use it on IOS, Android & OS X) you just can't be sure what will happen with your notes, especially if you use checkboxes or bullets or any thing like that. So another vote for fixing the editor, and hold off on the new features.

Or if they must add things, how about a true plain text note type. So I can take a quick note, with no formatting, where I can be confident that my text will get saved exactly how I typed it, and the font will look the same everywhere and the text can be cut and pasted to another app, and it won't get changed in any way.

• Level 5*

It has always seemed ironic to me that of all the things Evernote - with "note" in its name - can do, note taking is the weakest. 

In the beginning, or at least by Ver 3.5, the Note Editor was very solid.  Maybe there some, but I don't remember any major complaints at the time about the robustness of the Editor.  Sure, there were ERs, but few, if any, real complaints about how the editor worked.

Somewhere along the way, Evernote became obsessed with "bending the universe" (their words, not mine), and they forgot about maintaining the solid foundation they had built.  That wasn't considered cool or sexy.  It seems that no one was interested in maintaining, improving, perfecting the core product.

This is all just my opinion.  I have no inside knowledge.

And here I thought it was just my device. It's really crappy when you have a note that literally only has one picture and some text below and takes 10 minutes to pull up when your trying to show it to your customer. The program was flawless when I was using it a little over a year ago, then it got auto updated to this new look which implemented useless features for me such as chat and ever since then the app drops a deuce whenever it feels like it.

Archived