A couple of basic user questions on editing and syncing notes

Tom in Tampa

I have been using Evernote for Windows for over a year now, although I do most of my note updating on my iPhone. However, ocasionally I will update a note on my PC when I need to correct errors in spacing and formatting that occurred when typing on my phone.

These infrequent PC sessions have led to some usage questions that I have not been able to answer from looking at the online help, Youtube videos, or searches of this forum. The questions are:

• How do I overide the autosave feature in Evernote Windows? If I am making some changes to a note but I make a major mistake that cannot be corrected by retyping text (such as inadvertently deleting several paragraphs).
  • The second question has to do with what appears to me to be a difference in the was Sync works on Windows vs. the iPhone. When I make an update to a note on my phone, it appears to get sent to the Evernote servers automatically, and conversely, when I open a note on my phone it automatically reflects changes that were made to that note from my PC. But on my PC, I have to do a manual Sync to have the notes on the PC pick up changes that have been made on my phone. The only Sync-related setting I can find on Evernotes for IOS is whether or not to Sync on Wifi only (I have that set to off). On Windows, there are more Sync options. I have selected the following: Enable sysnc notifications, Synchronize changes on exit, Synchronize in the back ground, and Synchronize shortcuts. My impression of these settings was that they were more applicable to changes I make to the notes on my PC rather than downloading chnages made since the last time I opened the Windows client, but I could be mistaken.

If anyone could answer these questions I would appreciate it. And if there is an actual Users Guide that would answer questions like this, that would be helpful as well.

The auto-sync interval can be set in EN Win by going to Tools > Options > Sync.

See 

JMichael:

Thanks for the quick response. I went into the settings and checked the box for sycn automatically. I set it to 15 minutes, and it seems to be working. I guess I'm not too sure what some of those other Sync settings do, but I'm not going to worry too much about it.

I followed those 2 links from your post, and while there was some interesting information in both places, I still didn't see an answer to my question about how to cancel an update to a note. Did I not look closely enough?

• Level 5*

You can try Ctrl-Z to undo changes you have made in a note, as long as you haven't left the note.  I don't know how many changes are managed by EN in the process, or if there is some sort of time limit.  So I would try it ans see how it works for you.

• Level 5*

I followed those 2 links from your post, and while there was some interesting information in both places, I still didn't see an answer to my question about how to cancel an update to a note. Did I not look closely enough?

If you have switched to another Note, and then back, I don't think CTRL + Z will work anymore.

If the change you want to undo were on a Note that had the content you want for at least several hours, then Note History might be able to restore the version at that time.  The frequency of the Note History snapshots is unclear to me.

Archived