Evernote Mac and El Capitan Issues

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

I know some of you are using Evernote for Mac on El Capitan which is Apple's next big operating system version 10.11.  Let's use this forum topic to discuss issues people are finding with Evernote and El Capitan so we can try to get them fixed prior to 10.11 getting released.

I'll start us off.  When I look at the Font drop down on the toolbar I see "-webkit-standard".  I saw another forum user post this as well.  We haven't had a chance to look at this yet but we will.

Are there any other issues people are seeing?

94 replies to this idea

Ever since upgrading to El Capitan, Evernote causes the fan on my MacBook Air to run fast and incessantly. I've installed iStat and it identifies Evernote as a CPU hog and when running Evernote for Mac the CPU temperature jumps 40 degrees... If I quite Evernote for Mac, everything cools down and quiets down again. 

I'm having a FONT issue. Used to use gotham book as my default font on 10.10, and it displayed quite well. But after updating to EI Captain, the GOTHAM FONT all become bold-type, and it is very BOLD. It seems that Evernote can't recognise the differences within the Gotham Font Family Set. 

Hi. Since nobody from Evernote has responded to Paqto's "Background problem" thread I'm going to be that guy and repeat my latest post here where it might be seen. Paqto it seems didn't know what causes the problem or how to obviously replicate the effect but I've found this fairly reliable: 

1. Log in to a mac running Yosemite or El Capitan

2. Open Evernote and make it either full-screen - or allow it to have it's own 'desktop space'.

3. Go back to space 1 and have a program selected (like safari, or an app you can tell is selected because its transparent) 

4. While that app is in the foreground press ctrl + up arrow key, then ctrl + right arrow key (if Evernote is to the right). You ought now to see Evernote more or less looking like it is supposed to look, with transparency around the notes, not just the sidebar. 

5. Press ctrl + down arrow key. If you are able to replicate this bug you'll at this moment see the transparency break or vanish. 

This is one of the more dependable ways that I can replicate the effect but as in the original post there are other artefacts just during normal use. 

Is Evernote seeing these artefacts or are we alone? 

Post upgrade Evernote is hanging.  Infinite spinning thingy.

We're having a really hard time reproducing this issue.  It doesn't happen for most people.  I've reached out to a few of you on this issue and asked for process samples.

Back in July I posted this: 

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:57 AM

I updated my OS to the el capitan beta and for some reason the fonts in all my notes has changed to "-webkit-standard", which looks like a bolded version of Gotham.  I cannot unbold the text and Gotham is no longer a choice in my font selections.  I am running 6.0.16.  Any fix for this?

You said that you were looking into a fix for when the public completed version of El Capitan released.

Still the same issue except the "-webkit-standard"has been changed to "Default" - but its still bolded gotham that cannot be unbolded!  

I would try to go to Preferences: Formatting and change the default font/style used.  This will fix your issue.  The drop down doesn't really affect what fonts and style are used as the default font in notes.  In regards to the Default issue.  I don't think the fix made it into Beta 1 but its now fixed in Beta 2.

When using the new split screen feature in El Capitan 10.11, I can't get Evernote to use any less than 75% of the screen (rather than 50/50). And the slider to adjust to use less than 75% does not work. Split screen seems to be working ok (i.e. 50% with operable slider) with other applications.

Running on a MB Air. I had some display driver issues since upgrading to 10.11 so don't know if that is related or if other people are not having the same issue...

Yup.  It sucks with 6.1 but is awesome in 6.2 Beta 1 & 2.  Here's a link to the Beta 2 forum.  

I don't know what you mean only a few people?  It hangs, and you will get a lot more as the rest of us users (non-developers) start piling on!  Don't mean to be angry but we actually use this software for work not to work on!  

I am having an issue where the text of my notes is not displaying. In the web client they display and work fine, but in the Mac client it's just invisible. I can see that the note text exists because it is showing up in the note snippet on the side. Screenshot attached. 

I signed out of my account. Re-login and still doesn't work. I installed the app, re-downloaded from app store and installed - still doesn't work. 

Not sure what the issue is. 

post-264583-0-57693000-1444037554_thumb.

I just up graded to  El Capitan, now when I open EN it freezes up. I get the spinning beach ball and have to force quit to close the program.  Any solutions to this problem?   Thanks for any help..... George

Just read the comments by software marcus and downloaded the evernote 6.2 beta and now it works fine. Thanks!!!!

Open Mac App on el Capitan and the app freezes for a second...starts to Sync...Sync extremely slowly and consistently continues to "sync" even though everything is synced already and I can never use the app because it is stuck in this repetitive frozen state.

I updated my OS to the el capitan beta and for some reason the fonts in all my notes has changed to "-webkit-standard", which looks like a bolded version of Gotham.  I cannot unbold the text and Gotham is no longer a choice in my font selections.  I am running 6.0.16.  Any fix for this?

You said that you were looking into a fix for when the public completed version of El Capitan released.

Still the same issue except the "-webkit-standard"has been changed to "Default" - but its still bolded gotham that cannot be unbolded!  

I know this seems minor, but for my OCD it is terrible!  I have over 1000 notes that have lost all formatting and are all bold!  This is unreal!

Tried to uninstall then reinstall, no luck.

Please help me find a fix to revert this back.

(Running 6.1.; Mac OS X 10.11)

Somewhat similarly, I just found the tightly formatted notes I've been making all week are now all in Gotham Bold and can't be unbolded, whether I make changes to Preferences or not.

Post upgrade Evernote is hanging.  Infinite spinning thingy.

We're having a really hard time reproducing this issue.  It doesn't happen for most people.  I've reached out to a few of you on this issue and asked for process samples.

I would try to go to Preferences: Formatting and change the default font/style used.  This will fix your issue.  The drop down doesn't really affect what fonts and style are used as the default font in notes.  In regards to the Default issue.  I don't think the fix made it into Beta 1 but its now fixed in Beta 2.

When using the new split screen feature in El Capitan 10.11, I can't get Evernote to use any less than 75% of the screen (rather than 50/50). And the slider to adjust to use less than 75% does not work. Split screen seems to be working ok (i.e. 50% with operable slider) with other applications.

Running on a MB Air. I had some display driver issues since upgrading to 10.11 so don't know if that is related or if other people are not having the same issue...

Yup.  It sucks with 6.1 but is awesome in 6.2 Beta 1 & 2.  Here's a link to the Beta 2 forum.  

Thanks,

Adam

I'm also experience the freezing of Evernote after installing El Capitan. 

The ball is just spinning and I have to force quit it. 

Did try the Evernote Beta 6.2 Beta 1 - but still the same. 

Now I'm back with ver. 6.1.1 from App Store. 

Evernote works fine on my iMac 2011.

But is freezes on my iMac 2015 and MacBook 2015. 

Anyone that solved this? 

Thanks for your support. 

I know this seems minor, but for my OCD it is terrible!  I have over 1000 notes that have lost all formatting and are all bold!  This is unreal!

Tried to uninstall then reinstall, no luck.
Please help me find a fix to revert this back.

(Running 6.1.; Mac OS X 10.11)

post-89902-0-97765300-1443774700_thumb.p

I upgraded to El Capitan this morning in the UK. Evernote opened, but then hung, displaying rainbow disc, on my iMac, purchased last week.

It worked fine on my MacBook Pro (2012), which gave me the clue on how to resolve.

I realised I downloaded Evernote on the iMac from the website. I removed the it (using Trashme) and re-installed from the App Store.

So, I'm now running Version 6.1.1 (452254 App Store) and whilst it's still synchronising notes (I have hundreds), all my most recent versions are visible and editable.

I just tried that...still rainbow spinny thingy.  Do I need to delete my database or something?

I upgraded to El Capitan this morning in the UK. Evernote opened, but then hung, displaying rainbow disc, on my iMac, purchased last week.

It worked fine on my MacBook Pro (2012), which gave me the clue on how to resolve.

I realised I downloaded Evernote on the iMac from the website. I removed the it (using Trashme) and re-installed from the App Store.

So, I'm now running Version 6.1.1 (452254 App Store) and whilst it's still synchronising notes (I have hundreds), all my most recent versions are visible and editable.

Hi there I need some help.  I just upgraded to El Capitan and went to open Evernote and my last few notes are missing.  I am only on the basic plan and wondering if I upgraded if my notes would come back (I read this in a thread).  I have tried going into my finder and looking for the notes files without any luck.  Please help. 

Sincerely

Erin 

I had the same "migrating data" issue with El Capitan after upgrading to a SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro.

This was easily resolved by deleting the application, doing a "deep clean' using Dr. Cleaner (not sure if this was necessary), re-installing the application from the App Store and logging back into my account.

All fixed in less that 5 minutes. Hope this helps somebody else.

Evernote still crashing on Mac OS X El Capitan? This font (CaeciliaTLStd) is required for Evernote to function properly. Add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash. Add or enable these fonts using FontBook, Quit both Evernote & FontBook. Restart. Works for me.

Caecilia is a required font and we ship with it so there should be no reason you can't find it in Font Book.  Do you also have this font via Adobe or some other app?

A fellow forum user suggested posting this here...

I'm running Evernote 6.2.1 on a Mac with El Capitan.  The Mac is new and I've migrated my User data across from the old Mac (also running Evernote 6.2.1 and El Capitan).  Now, every time I open up Evernote, a window pops up with 'Migrating notes from earlier version', and a progress bar.  It takes a few seconds to migrate the notes, then the app functions as normal.

Evernote works perfectly well on the new Mac, and there's no reason why it shouldn't.  I just find the 'migrating' business a bit irritating and wonder what is going on.  And if I can fix it!

Thanks

Cal

What do you mean by "I've migrated my User data across from the old Mac"?  Did you restore from a back up or copied the data folder?  This might be getting the app confused.  It might be better to sign in to Evernote on the new Mac and just let it re-download all of your data again.  This way everything is created from scratch for this new Mac vs having remnants of a previous installation.  This is the first I've heard of this issue so I'm only speculating.  Give it a try and let me know.

A fellow forum user suggested posting this here...

I'm running Evernote 6.2.1 on a Mac with El Capitan.  The Mac is new and I've migrated my User data across from the old Mac (also running Evernote 6.2.1 and El Capitan).  Now, every time I open up Evernote, a window pops up with 'Migrating notes from earlier version', and a progress bar.  It takes a few seconds to migrate the notes, then the app functions as normal.

Evernote works perfectly well on the new Mac, and there's no reason why it shouldn't.  I just find the 'migrating' business a bit irritating and wonder what is going on.  And if I can fix it!

Thanks

Cal

I have had Evernote working on El Capitan for a while now, but suddenly this weekend the spinner appeared a couple of seconds after launch and did not recover, Force Quit required. I tried installing the free versions of the Caecilia font I could find, but that did not work. 

I just downloaded the 6.3 Beta and that seems to be working, but its not ideal. 

I was doing some web clipping over the weekend before this happened in case there is a link there. The web app and my iOS apps seem to be working fine, so I know these bugs are tricky to find. Hope that helps. 

• Level 5*

Evernote still crashing on Mac OS X El Capitan? This font (CaeciliaTLStd) is required for Evernote to function properly. Add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash. Add or enable these fonts using FontBook, Quit both Evernote & FontBook. Restart. Works for me.

That's very strange.  CaeciliaTLStd is a proprietary font by Adobe.  I'd be shocked if Evernote were using (& paying for) this font.

See https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/pmn-caecilia/light/

@Marcus, can you confirm whether or not Evernote requires this font?

If so, then it should be included in the install/update, right?

We just released the final version of 6.2 with El Capitan fixes.  You can read more about it at my forum post here.  If you are seeing issues while running Evernote on El Cap, please try this version out.  It should run a lot better.  There are still some weird issues with fonts.  For some they are defaulting to Gotham Bold.  Please just go in to Evernote prefs and change this to another font.  It should default to Helvetica Neue.  Gotham is a font we ship for branding reasons and really shouldn't be used as a default note font.   Please post any continued issues to the 6.2 Release Forum post so we can discuss and address them in that area.

We just released Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 4 which should fix a few of the El Cap issues like the inability to rotate images but we still haven't figured out why some people are hanging when they launch.   I personally saw this myself.  Deleting my defaults by going to the Terminal and entering in "defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote" seemed to help the second time I tried to launch.  We are also seeing 3 crashes that are unique to El Capitan. 2 of which is in the operating system and we can't fix but have to wait for Apple.   We're investigating the other one as we speak.  Besides this, we've worked really hard on providing the ability to resize the Evernote window to allow for narrow windows especially in El Cap's split view so check it out.   Please take a look at my Beta 4 forum post at http://bit.ly/1RBWc0O where you can download the beta.

I too had the application hang when launched.  Deleting the defaults in terminal has just worked for me and the app runs as it should now.

We just released Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 4 which should fix a few of the El Cap issues like the inability to rotate images but we still haven't figured out why some people are hanging when they launch.   I personally saw this myself.  Deleting my defaults by going to the Terminal and entering in "defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote" seemed to help the second time I tried to launch.  We are also seeing 3 crashes that are unique to El Capitan. 2 of which is in the operating system and we can't fix but have to wait for Apple.   We're investigating the other one as we speak.  Besides this, we've worked really hard on providing the ability to resize the Evernote window to allow for narrow windows especially in El Cap's split view so check it out.   Please take a look at my Beta 4 forum post at http://bit.ly/1RBWc0O where you can download the beta.

• Level 5*

All Evernote plans show all Notes.  So your "missing" notes are NOT due to the Evernote plan.

See Comparison of EN Account Types

This is most likely an El Capitan issue.  Evernote is still working out the kinks of fully supporting El Capitan.

You can verify that all of your Notes are safely stored in the EN Cloud by viewing them using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.

Nothing to be sorry about. Just saying. Happening here too. If I read this correctly, they fixed some issues in 6.1.1 but haven't yet addressed the bugs posted here recently. Thanks for confirming it's not just local to my instance. The more reports they get the more likely they are to prioritize the fix, I would venture to guess.

MBAir, OS 10.11 El Capitan, Evernote 6.1.1.

I was getting a hang (spinning beachball) immediately upon launch, necessitating a force quit ("Evernote-not responding").

I tried reinstalling the software and it seems to have worked.

I reinstalled from Evernote.com and was advised during the process that my original Evernote application was from the App Store.  I went ahead anyway, migrating notes and whatever else it needed to do and it seems to work now.

The new version (Evernote_RELEASE_6.1.1_452253), is supposedly older than the version I already had (from the App Store).

Will this cause issues down the road regarding upgrades from the app store?

Should I delete my original application?  Any other issues?

Crash report screen shot is attached.

post-273803-0-14834800-1445730988_thumb.

With images, the option to "Rotate Clockwise" or "Rotate Counterclockwise" is completely nonfunctional. Nothing at all happens when I try to rotate an image. On a Macbook Pro, I'm running El Capitan 10.11 (with Evernote 6.1.1).

Who else has this problem? It's very annoying.

Just recently (everything worked after I upgraded to El Capitan) Evernote has started to hang at startup.  If I leave it alone to see if it will start running normally, it ends up consuming all the memory on the system.  It shows up as "not responding" when I go into the Force Quit app.

Add me to the list of 'spinning wheel of doom' on launching Evernote.  Not much use if I have to force quit each time.  Running iMac with latest OSX El Capitan release. Luckily my the iPad app still works!

I have an issue where importing text and lists from the Mac notes.app into Evernote causes all the formatting to be lost. This worked fine on Yosemite and I suspect it may be due to the notes.app overhaul in El Capitan. Anyone else experiencing this?

We're not seeing the same issues here.  Weird.  My manager is running El Capitan full time as his main system and of course he runs Evernote all the time.  He's using our latest release but I don't think we've done anything to make it work better on El Cap.  If you want to give it a try you can download the Evernote for Mac 6.1 Beta 2 release at http://bit.ly/1Mn6Mbz.

Official support for an OS normally arrives at the same time (or just after) the OS....you knew the risks.....

I don’t think anybody here expects official support for Evernote under El Capitan Beta. I personally run the Beta precisely because I can run into these bugs, so that software makers have to possibility to fix them before the official release. 

First time here. After updating to El Capitan Beta 8, my Evernote freeze immediately after launch. Only option is to Force Quit. Evernote version is the last, Premium account. My MacBook Pro was recently reinstalled from the scratch and my Evernote was working without any problems until Beta 8 of El Capitan.  :mellow:  . I know what are the risks of using a beta version of an operating system, but ...  :) Does anyone have more information about this subject? 

Evernote freezes after launch at my Mac at home. App opens, screen is visible, but nothing happens (not even the ‘update’ pictogram is animated) and nothing is clickable.

CPU usage goes up to about 130%.

Only a force quit will exit the app.

I also see "-webkit-standard".

When Evernote is in fullscreen mode, when I switch away and back to it, the transparency effects are inconsistent and clearly there are rendering problems.

I haven't noted any other major or even minor issues.

Are Evernote developers waiting until the official release to fix issues? 

FWIW, 6.1 Direct is working fine for me on public beta 6.

Official support for an OS normally arrives at the same time (or just after) the OS....you knew the risks.....

Nobody said they expect official support, but developer previews serve a purpose, and Evernote Support suggests we report bugs here which are monitored by the development team, since they're concerned about their app breaking on the day of the launch. We're providing the necessary feedback and volunteering our time to help them, there's no call for a "you knew the risks" remark.

For me it worked fine for a couple of days, now E wont startup. Great!  :wacko:

E-support is getting me nowhere (directs me to this discussion). Perhaps a clean install can be helpful but have no idea how to remove everything of E

I do have this issue as well. Already restored Mac Fonts (using font book), and deleted evernote and re-installed from the website and nada, it still crash and ask for caecilia fonts... have any one found a solution for this already? I'm also using El Capitan... 

Similar problem for me with the public beta 2 and 3. Evernote complains about missing fonts, and starts, but the content of any note that I click on is blank. Right now it's unusable.

I can't switch on Evernote 6.0.16 on OS 10.11. Beta 3.

Missing required fonts

The following fonts are required for Evernote to function properly. Please add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash.

CaeciliaTLStd fonts.

This problem have peoples with OS 10.9 or 10.10 too.

Thanks very much!

I am seeing this problem as well. I installed El Capitan as an upgrade rather than a clean install.

I have this issue as well!

Similar problem for me with the public beta 2 and 3. Evernote complains about missing fonts, and starts, but the content of any note that I click on is blank. Right now it's unusable.

Missing required fonts

The following fonts are required for Evernote to function properly. Please add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash.

CaeciliaTLStd fonts.

Thanks very much!

I am seeing this problem as well. I installed El Capitan as an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Missing required fonts

CaeciliaTLStd fonts.

Thanks very much!

Missing required fonts

CaeciliaTLStd fonts.

Thanks very much!

Bonjour,

In version 6.1.1. on El Capitan GM, I'm unable to rotate images using the right click menu. It works in annotation mode. I've reinstalled, but that doesn't fix it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Merci.

Yes, I reported it already.

One reason you might see an increase in fullscreen mode is because El Capitan adds Split View which makes more sense for large displays. Before that I rarely used fullscreen on the iMac, only on the MacBook Pro.

Yah great point.  It makes full screen view really useful.  For our next release our main focus has been to get Evernote to work great with narrow windows and in turn working well in split screen view.  I think lots of people are going to like this change.  Stay tuned.

FYI. We just released 6.1.1 which fixes a crash that occurs after quitting while in full screen view.  This is an El Captan only crash.  I'm really surprised this ranked so high in our overall crash logs since it only occurs on El Capitan and one has to be running in full screen view.   I didn't realize full screen view was so popular.  This is a slightly updated version from the one I released earlier.  You can download it from here.

This does not fix any of the recent issues people have brought up.

I am running OS X 10.11 GM and Evernote and there's one thing not working correctly: the Evernote Share Extension for Safari. Web Clipper works fine, but the share extension hangs, the spinner just keeps spinning and only the cancel button is clickable. 

I'm also seeing this on 10.11 GM. 

Thanks for reporting this.  We'll take a look.

I am running OS X 10.11 GM and Evernote and there's one thing not working correctly: the Evernote Share Extension for Safari. Web Clipper works fine, but the share extension hangs, the spinner just keeps spinning and only the cancel button is clickable. 

I'm also seeing this on 10.11 GM. 

Running 10.11 GM. At first web clipper was completely inactive (when clicking the button in Safari it did nothing). I did two things to make it work:

1) I disabled SIP (for non-related reasons having to do with the new Bartender beta). 

2) Reboot

Before disabling SIP in recovery terminal I would suggest that you try a full re-boot to see if that solves the clipper problem. Perhaps EN team can look and see if it's SIP related. 

Tom

FWIW, 6.1 Direct is working fine for me on public beta 6.

I've not been around here the last few days. Of course in knew the risks. :) . I'm using El Capitan from Beta 1, installed on top of Yosemite and I've also reinstalled my Mac from the scratch about a month ago. In this moment the only relevant problem that I've is Evernote not working. For now I'm using my iPad as a restraint measure until there is a new version. ;) 

Evernote freezes after launch at my Mac at home. App opens, screen is visible, but nothing happens (not even the ‘update’ pictogram is animated) and nothing is clickable.

CPU usage goes up to about 130%.

Only a force quit will exit the app.

Exactly the same happening to me on El Cap. GM. In addition to high CPU usage it also seems to be heavily leaking memory.

I had initially latest MAS version installed, but also tried the updated version SoftwareMarcus suggested below.

Thanks for reporting these issues.  They've been very helpful.  We are turning our attention to focus on fixing any open El Capitan issues so please keep them coming.  We have noticed a large number of people crashing in our sidebar code.  A customer that reported this said they were in full screen mode, quit and it then crashed.  We haven't been able to reproduce it but we think we've fixed it.  We have a small bug fix release going out shortly and one of the bugs we fixed is this crash.  Click here to download this release if you're seeing a crash in El Capitan full screen mode. 

Same high CPU freeze with that version on GM.

Thanks for reporting these issues.  They've been very helpful.  We are turning our attention to focus on fixing any open El Capitan issues so please keep them coming.  We have noticed a large number of people crashing in our sidebar code.  A customer that reported this said they were in full screen mode, quit and it then crashed.  We haven't been able to reproduce it but we think we've fixed it.  We have a small bug fix release going out shortly and one of the bugs we fixed is this crash.  Click here to download this release if you're seeing a crash in El Capitan full screen mode. 

Dang, I just got a GM candidate invite and was about to install. Decided to check on my most needed apps and Evernote is important to me so I am going to hang back. Tks for this thread (or else I would have jumped in).

Just a follow up that I decided to throw the switch and installed the El Capitan beta GM a couple of days ago. I have not seen any Evernote issues yet.

• Level 5*

I run the beta so that I can report bugs too, but I run it on a Dev machine. I read Jose's post as if he is running it on his main/only machine. I might be wrong, but if I'm not, well he knows the risks...

Archived