Not responding

TechGuy

I've been a user since May 2008 and I live on Evernote. I love it but recently, the Evernote Windows version is freezing up on me, constantly. I have just over 6500 notes, 4 notebooks, and a ***** ton of tags. I am currently using version 5.8.15.8352 (276352). I just recently moved to the prerelease versions to see if that solved my problem.

I run Evernote from a virtual desktop on W2012R2. I use it so much that I created a new virtual desktop and install the application on a fresh Windows build. I had the problem on the previous installation and it is still constantly giving me the not responding message on the new install. This is happening on the remote desktop that I've used for a few years and the newly installed desktop. I do not think uninstalling and reinstalling is the solution since this is a fresh installation. Fresh as in the last week.

I even tried using the beta versions to see if that resolves my problems.

It's getting to the point that it's freezing up so much that it is interfering with my work.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can check or how to debug this issue?

I'm using 5.8.13.8152 on Win 7 Professional 64 bit and having the same problem.  I have installed the last few updates automatically in hopes that it would solve the issue but with no success.  The biggest trigger seems to be using the search bar.  I begin typing and the program freezes up before I even finish a word.  Occasionally it will unfreeze itself after a while but I usually need to close it and restart.

Any suggestions for solving this would be appreciated.

I'm using 5.8.13.8152 on Win 7 Professional 64 bit and having the same problem.  I have installed the last few updates automatically in hopes that it would solve the issue but with no success.  The biggest trigger seems to be using the search bar.  I begin typing and the program freezes up before I even finish a word.  Occasionally it will unfreeze itself after a while but I usually need to close it and restart.

Any suggestions for solving this would be appreciated.

This happens to me on pretty much anything I do. I can click on a note or even add a note and it freezes up.

I really hope there is a fix to this, I use it too much to have these problems.

• Level 5*

Hi both - I know Evernote have done a ton of work on reducing or avoiding crashes and freezes,  especially in the past year or two - I'd suggest that you raise a bug report (or a support request if you're plus or premium) to let them know about your specific setups,  and check whether there's anything they can contribute.  There are other threads involving things like SSDs,  renaming database folders and switching off Context and background syncing - FWIW my setup does freeze - briefly - but it's never been unusable.  I'm now over 20K notes and have an unfeasibly large database,  but it's still stomping along.

• Level 5*

I've been putzing with Win10 on an older laptop, 3G memory and an HDD, and have been experiencing freezes. Yesterday I turned off MS indexing. Haven't had a freeze since. Probably not a long enough time frame to declare victory, but thought I would mention. This is with a 10 GB data base of 18k notes. FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  I am using Win 8 (Quad Core, 32GB Mem, and an SSD with plenty of available resources).  Additionally I have < 1MB in total across all my notebooks.  I can rarely type a full sentence without the freezing.  It is pretty frustrating.  Not sure where to even begin debugging.

Hi both - I know Evernote have done a ton of work on reducing or avoiding crashes and freezes,  especially in the past year or two - I'd suggest that you raise a bug report (or a support request if you're plus or premium) to let them know about your specific setups,  and check whether there's anything they can contribute.  There are other threads involving things like SSDs,  renaming database folders and switching off Context and background syncing - FWIW my setup does freeze - briefly - but it's never been unusable.  I'm now over 20K notes and have an unfeasibly large database,  but it's still stomping along.

• Level 5*

Thanks.  I am using Win 8 (Quad Core, 32GB Mem, and an SSD with plenty of available resources).  Additionally I have < 1MB in total across all my notebooks.  I can rarely type a full sentence without the freezing.  It is pretty frustrating.  Not sure where to even begin debugging.

AbeW, with an awesome system like that, you should have no performance issues with Evernote, or anything else.   :D

Please submit a bug report so Evernote can investigate.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Archived