Evernote skipping some of the attachment in OneNote during import

As title, I have created about 20 notes in OneNote that I want to import them to Evernote. Each OneNote note contains a pdf files, and some screen capture image.

I used the Evernote import function found in the Windows Client (version 5.8.13.8152) : Import --> Microsoft OneNote. Things are working smoothly, and a local notebook is created with all the imported notes inside. I browsed through the imported notes, the screen capture image is imported successfully, but some of the PDF were not import, only the pdf filename is found in the note (e.g. <>), I tried restarting Evernote and those pages still have their pdf files missing.

Anyone experienced similar thing before? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  No experience with the import tool I'm afraid.  On 'some' of your 20 notes,  is it feasible to drag and drop / copy the PDFs individually?  It would be worth trying the import again (to a different notebook?) to see whether the failure was an isolated problem.  If not please raise a bug report on this.  You won't necessarily get any follow-up,  but it does mean that the devs will take a look at your situation and (maybe) fix it in a future release...

Choose "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

- or reach out on Twitter @Evernotehelps (include the forum thread URL for extra background)

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

• Level 5*

I used the Evernote import function found in the Windows Client (version 5.8.13.8152) : Import --> Microsoft OneNote. Things are working smoothly, and a local notebook is created with all the imported notes inside. I browsed through the imported notes, the screen capture image is imported successfully, but some of the PDF were not import, only the pdf filename is found in the note (e.g. <>), I tried restarting Evernote and those pages still have their pdf files missing.

Anyone experienced similar thing before? Thanks!

Wow!  That's very interesting.  I had no idea Evernote would import from OneNote.

What you describe sounds like a bug to me, maybe a design flaw.

IAC, it is something I'd think Evernote would be very interested in fixing (from a marketing POV).

So, you might submit a bug report, and post on Twitter.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post your request on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.

• 3 months later...

I know it's an older post, but did the OP find a fix?  I left Evernote this spring for a couple of reasons and went to Onenote.  This weekend, I switched back to Evernote.  Imported a dozen or so notebooks, many notes with .pdf files or attachments.  They either did NOT import, or they imported as *.onebin files.  I can change the file extension manally to .pdf and it works, but that's a lot of effort. 

I re-upped my premium account, and imported after that purchase.

Repeated syncing and a restart does not fix anything.

Any fixes?  If not I'll consider a bug report.

thanks.

• 2 months later...

Bug still not fixed... damn! ;) 

Of all 938 imported and synced notes, the one with attachment(s) now have a .onebin extension.

Yes I know, as a Premium user I can file a bug... again. But maybe Evernote Support should monitor this form more frequently. This post is 6 months old, so this bug is known for at least that period of time.

• Level 5*

If this is affecting one note only,  then a manual copy/ paste should get it up to date.  I'd recommend filing the bug report so Evernote get reminded this is still an issue,  but how much priority they'll give to parsing someone else's software (and how much help/ priority MS will be prepared to allow) I wouldn't know...

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, MaikR said:

Yes I know, as a Premium user I can file a bug... again. But maybe Evernote Support should monitor this form more frequently. This post is 6 months old, so this bug is known for at least that period of time.

Don't count on Evernote registering bugs based on posts in these forums.  They may, or may not. We just don't know.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• 6 months later...

I am getting .bin files instead of attachments upon import of onenote notes. Not sure if anyone mentioned, but if the file was insterted in to Onenote "as a printout" it will import properly into Evernote. If it was inserted  as an attachment, it will import as a .bin file.

Checking in to see if anyone has any info on this.

• 1 year later...

OK it's been over a year since the last post and I can verify the issue is still happening today.  It's not feasible to manually copy over the hundreds and hundreds of documents I have with PDF attachments.  Should I ever decide to switch back from OneNote to Evernote this will be a major loss of data during import.  If any devs do actually read this, please fix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, r3cgm said:

Update 8/9/2017: I've opened a BUG: pdf Import from OneNote Missing       to track this issue.

Actually no,  you haven't.  That's another votable thread in this forum,  which is mainly user supported.  To make a proper bug report,  contact support directly here.  You'll get a ticket number and an individual response after a few days.

I tried this several times earlier today in both Firefox and Chrome and all I get is a message "please submit a ticket" without any link on the page to actually submit a ticket.  What am I missing here?

Even if I fill out the "Not what you're looking for?" dialog box it doesn't provide any additional options to submit a ticket.

no-link-to-ticket-min.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried with and without a login, same result.  I tried Twitter, no response.

I'm frustrated with how much effort it is taking to improve the user experience for those wishing to switch from OneNote to Evernote.  Even if Evernote decides it's not a priority for them to allocate dev time (for the reasons you outlined earlier gazumped in the other thread) shouldn't it still be possible to at least open a ticket with them?  This is probably the 6th or 7th attempt I've made to get their attention without success.

For what it's worth, OneNote by contrast is always proactively soliciting my input for feedback and bug reports.  I used and loved Evernote for 7 years before I finally had enough frustration with UI changes as well as lack of communication and switched to OneNote.  It's still my hope Evernote may make the transition back possible, but this process is not inspiring me with confidence.

Not asking for the moon and stars here, just 'detect if PDF attached and show it' during import.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, r3cgm said:

Not asking for the moon and stars here, just 'detect if PDF attached and show it' during import.

Sympathies,  but this is all Evernote - hopefully they'll (eventually) respond to your twitter contact.

Archived