Will EVERNOTE suit my needs as a student?

I will be purchasing a tablet for school and want a good note taking app. I've never used technology before to take notes, but I'm at a point where I think that is going to be the best way. I would like something with the functionality of Notability, without having to use an iPad. I would like to know if EVERNOTE can perform the following functions SIMULTANEOUSLY on an Android tablet (Galaxy Note 10.1 2014):

-Open, annotate, highlight and save PDF documents

-Record audio, sometimes up to 2-3 continuous hours

-Sync timing of highlighted text to audio recording

Those are the "must haves". If not, can anyone recommend a product that can perform all of these tasks simultaneously? I would also like to know if it is possible to save the documents to a microSD card, or must everything be stored in the cloud? Also, would any of this require a paid subscription? (I'm totally OK if it does)

Thanks in advance,

Scott S.

I would also like to know if it is possible to save the documents to a microSD card, or must everything be stored in the cloud? Also, would any of this require a paid subscription? (I'm totally OK if it does)

Thanks in advance,

Scott S.

In Plus or Premium you can have offline notebooks. In the free version all is on the cloud.

But it's not possible to save on external microSDcard

• Level 5*

Hi.  You can download and use Evernote for free,  so I'd suggest you do so on your laptop/ desktop and start trying out different strategies now,  so you don't have a massive fail halfway through your first day of lectures.

Just on your main query - how safe will you feel carrying your all notes around in one easily dropped / stolen package?  Especially if you're still getting used to its finer points and vulnerabilities.  You're going to need to backup your ongoing activities to the cloud quickly,  just in case.

Similar comments as to relying solely on one app to annotate / record / sync with your note taking.

• Evernote can deal with PDFs - within some limits - try it out for yourself.
  • Evernote can record - within the limits of your available storage - but would you want to record whilst also note taking?  Many other apps can record separately from your note taking,  and their output files can be attached to your notes to play on demand.  More reliable (IMHO) than asking one app to multitask.
  • Evernote won't sync audio notes with typed content,  but to answer both the recording point and the syncing issue,  have a look at the Jot Script stylus,  which does both.

Archived