The days keep getting sadder for EN, and they are such small issues

Stop development, work only on bug fixes for a year, please, please please :)

It is a shame that this is happening:

Copy from a note to paste into another, it was a bulleted list, did a select all, copy, made a new note, and paste.  It pasted as indented, not bulleted, and with an extra \r\n\r\n between each item.

Pasted into a plain text editor and I got a double tab indented list that was two newlines apart as in \n\n.  I then removed the indenting, regex deleted the newlines other than one, selected all, and pasted it into my note without trouble.

Copy and paste while maintaining the formatting, or in this case, not maintaining it, sure would be nice.

The app gets slower and slow to launch

The app gets slower and slower to sync

I don't believe there is no encryption and our data is stored in the raw?

The Safari web clipper is perhaps the best interface to the app, but it is degrading and falls on it's face often.  The FireFox extension is terrible, not even a resemblance to the Safari one.  The Chrome one is just as bad, which to me, there is no excuse for as chrome is so much more open about their development extensions, whereas Apple gives you very little you can do with their extensions yet EN made an awesome one.  But it needs to be maintained.

Slow typing all of a sudden

The minute, it is cool, and I use it to slam a note in and not get in my way, but there needs to be some basic prefs like the web clipper.  Default tags, ability to add tags, title and body copy seperation. Some of the data that makes it in there is just terrible the way it juts truncates the data as the subject and pops another copy in the body, this of course is assuming the person is going to go into EN and edit it some more, wasting time that need not be wasted.

Constant little pop ups here and there, despite my preferences being set right, that ask me if I want EN to advertise to me, or if I want to do this or that with EN.  I would like it to leave me alone.  I paid for a year, and would love to use the product and not have it selling to me.

Your bookmark maker in Safari, when you make a bookmark, the image it grabs is cropped terribly.  Scale it down and crop from the center, at least you have a chance at that point.  Also grab a favicon and then you can start looking for the iOS icons, which are 246x256 or larger, you can grab those.  It is how 1Password does it, and you should see my list, it is beautiful with hi-res icons for every listing.  Bookmarks should use the sites logo or icon, almost all of which have mobile versions now, so those are of substantial size, whereas in the past, a favicon is probably too small and would look terrible.

Add encryption, please.

Is there a copy of all my "cloud" data also stored locally?  If so, what is the point of that?  I assume it is a caching mechanism, but really does it need to store all the data? Seems a little redundant.

Further, often it has been suggested, by support as well, that if you run into encryption issues, delete all you data from EN and let the cloud download it again.  What if some of those were offline notebooks?  I assume you just lost them? Or can you somehow reconnect an offline notebook back to evernote?

The format the notes are saved in needs a lot of work as per my next request.

A descent export feature, and lets do two things, backup, where you can backup, take that to any machine, restore, and will be 100% where you left off. An export option so if we need to move to another app, we have the ability to.  I would suggest moving your data saving format to JSON and call that your export. I am fine with that.  Anything from bash to php can modify JSON in a way that hundreds of thousands of people could develop importers for their apps.

Is there an API?  If there is, can one call ALL the data and make it so that I could use that as a way to make a backup EN and a export EN file format?

What about local notebooks?  Is there any way to convert local notebooks into cloud ones?  Why is there no way to turn a cloud notebook into a local notebook? If I can do it by hand, you should be able to do it much faster with direct access to the local and remote datastores.  Right now, an offline notebook, I can simply select all an move them into an online notebook.  An online notebook, I can select all and move them to an offline one.  The trouble is, you can tend to be moving a lot of data, and I get error in my actual notes that say something about a sync conflict and it mines my data or duplicates it. You have to sit there and wait and make sure 100% has synced.  If that is the case, then there needs to be some work done on all those areas.  Corruption is bad, and under no cases would I ever consider that a design decision and hear the "we will add it to the feature request list" which is insulting. :)

Background sync, all apps do it now, dropbox, any app where you can add to it without opening the primary app.  I do it all the time in several apps.  In the background, it syncs away and does its thing.  I don't have to open time machine every time I want to make a backup, it just does so, and does not need the app open to make it happen. I think we need a background sync app that starts on login.  That way, you won't hardly ever get the "are you sure you want to quit right now?" alert, as most of your stuff would already be synced.  This would be great for the quick clipper and the browser extensions.

Finally, full consolidation of the Mac App Store App and the downloable app.  They need to be the same, or discontinue one.

Oh, and clean up my directory system, you have folders all over the place, some of which are even empty, and you store files and preferences all over the place.  Why not just one folder in app support and that is it?  Even under the new sandboxing stuff, keep it all in the sandbox where it is supposed to be.  Here is a list, I have put stars in front of the ones that I understand have to be there as there is no other place to put them and have them work, like a browser extension.  Unless you put all your data in one place and uses siblings to the other locations.  This is only 22 locations ( sort of ) there were well over 200+ if you include all the items in those folders, crash reports, cache data, etc.

./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com
./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/logs/
./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/logs/thrift/
./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/skus/www.evernote.com
./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper
./Library/Application Support/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper/logs/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper 2015-04-06 23-30.log
./Library/Application Support/Evernote-Backups
./Library/Caches/com.evernote.edam.usage
./Library/Caches/com.evernote.edam.usage/www.evernote.com
./Library/Caches/com.evernote.Evernote
./Library/Caches/com.evernote.Evernote/Sparkle/Evernote 451655/Evernote_RELEASE_6.0.13_451655.zip
./Library/Caches/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper
./Library/Caches/com.plausiblelabs.crashreporter.data/com.evernote.Evernote
./Library/Containers/com.skitch.skitch/Data/Library/Caches/com.evernote.edam.usage
./Library/Containers/com.skitch.skitch/Data/Library/Caches/com.evernote.edam.usage/metrics.evernote.com
./Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote
./Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote
./Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/Evernote
./Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/Evernote/quick-note/my_USERNAME-HUH-why___Evernote
./Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist
./Library/Preferences/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.plist

This is my short list of bugs.  I would not really call them features, but just things that a product of this maturity should have by now.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.

• Level 5*

@GreyGray:  Wow!  You've provided a long list of issues that should have been fixed long ago, or even better, should have been fixed PRIOR to release.

It is very clear to me that Evernote has a systemic development issue:  Rush to release before the product is ready.  This applies to ALL EN platforms/clients.

Below are some posts from the EN Win forum, but they apply equally as well to EN Mac.

Justin, it strikes me that all of these bugs are new bugs introduced in the last few releases over the last month or so.

Do you guys, does Evernote management and developers, understand the significance of that?

It is a clear indication that Evernote is NOT doing the proper debugging and testing PRIOR to release.

This is OLD news.  We have been complaining about this for over a year.

Evernote, when are you going to wake up and smell the roses?

When are you going to quit releasing such buggy software?

As long as you have a software which is in constant development, there are going to be bugs. 

This is an old argument for excusing the excessive amount of bugs in Evernote.

I fully realize that all software will have some bugs.  But Evernote is far, far worse than any other software I have ever used.  

The real issue here is that most of these bugs that Evernote produces with every new release could be prevented with the proper internal design and testing.  Some of the bugs are extremely obvious.

IMO, failure to find and fix these bugs before release is caused by the extremely frequent updates released by Evernote.  During the last few months, there has been about 2 updates per month.  Evernote needs to increase the release interval to something like 2 or 3 per year, excluding urgent critical security and/or bug fixes.

Yeah, errors in software occur.  When old functionality gets broken by the new, when errors repeat release after release or are reintroduced in subsequent versions are all indications of a less than strict testing practice and/or tool set.  There is a lot of functionality in EN so defining the boundaries to ensure no ripples from change must be hard, but some sort of test script process would catch some of the oh so obvious stuff that makes its way to a beta and even worse production.  Rapid pace of change doesn't help for sure, but you shouldn't go any faster than your ability to validate a quality product.  Two levers to pull, pace of change and speed of QC.  One is definitely easier to pull than the other.  IMHO, FWIW.

@GreyGray:  Wow!  You've provided a long list of issues that should have been fixed long ago, or even better, should have been fixed PRIOR to release.

It is very clear to me that Evernote has a systemic development issue:  Rush to release before the product is ready.  This applies to ALL EN platforms/clients.

Below are some posts from the EN Win forum, but they apply equally as well to EN Mac.

Justin, it strikes me that all of these bugs are new bugs introduced in the last few releases over the last month or so.

Do you guys, does Evernote management and developers, understand the significance of that?

It is a clear indication that Evernote is NOT doing the proper debugging and testing PRIOR to release.

This is OLD news.  We have been complaining about this for over a year.

Evernote, when are you going to wake up and smell the roses?

When are you going to quit releasing such buggy software?

As long as you have a software which is in constant development, there are going to be bugs. 

This is an old argument for excusing the excessive amount of bugs in Evernote.

I fully realize that all software will have some bugs.  But Evernote is far, far worse than any other software I have ever used.  

The real issue here is that most of these bugs that Evernote produces with every new release could be prevented with the proper internal design and testing.  Some of the bugs are extremely obvious.

IMO, failure to find and fix these bugs before release is caused by the extremely frequent updates released by Evernote.  During the last few months, there has been about 2 updates per month.  Evernote needs to increase the release interval to something like 2 or 3 per year, excluding urgent critical security and/or bug fixes.

Yeah, errors in software occur.  When old functionality gets broken by the new, when errors repeat release after release or are reintroduced in subsequent versions are all indications of a less than strict testing practice and/or tool set.  There is a lot of functionality in EN so defining the boundaries to ensure no ripples from change must be hard, but some sort of test script process would catch some of the oh so obvious stuff that makes its way to a beta and even worse production.  Rapid pace of change doesn't help for sure, but you shouldn't go any faster than your ability to validate a quality product.  Two levers to pull, pace of change and speed of QC.  One is definitely easier to pull than the other.  IMHO, FWIW.

JMichael, great points.  Yes, I wonder what their test cases look like, I don't think they have any, there are too many regressions.  Or it was the port to windows and trying to keep it all in sync that is causing regressions.  Drop Skitch iMO and remove all traces of it as a direct connection app.  Dogwood your own product and use your API to hook skitch into it so you will learn the hell that the API is and the bugs you run into that ever get fixed because it is always "that is an issue you need to take up with the developer of the 3rd party app".  Or make a plugin architecture or extensions architecture that people can plug into.

Remember this post by their CEO in 2014?  What happened?  I would love to hear a reply from him on his post below, as it has only gotten worse, much worse.  A list of changes he made would be nice to know, so he can revert them as they are making things terrible.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/04/on-software-quality/

How many beta testers are their?  I would love to be one, but I am afraid.  In all my beta testing, and their has been a lot that I have done, the beta releases have always been very stable, some small things, never a show stopper, they could release it as it stands.  I can't say the same for EN.  Though I am curious how the beta testers don't notice how bad the app is they are testing.  Or they are all Windows beta testers and we are in the dark, who knows.  There needs to be a lot more transparency.  Right now, It is the worst case as I don't trust the app, how many notes are missing that I am unaware of?  No way to tell.

Archived