Students making new notebooks so as to 'workchat' illegally in class

I teach junior high and have made a notebook for each of the students in my class which I have then shared with only them. At the creation stage, I left the sharing permissions on 'edit and invite' as I wanted to them to be able to upload homework to the share however I didn't think at that stage that there would be a problem with leaving it with the 'invite' permission. However it has come to my attention via another student, that some students have made a new notebook for themselves and sharing it with the class, thus being able to use the workchat to post annoying messages. At this stage, I'm not sure of the extant of this as I can't see anything in workchat on my device. I have since changed their permissions to 'edit' only as I still need them to upload homework. Has anyone run into this kind of issue before? Thanks

• Level 5*

Not sure at this stage whether to compliment the students on their adoption of the service,  or frown on its misuse.  ;)

Even if you restrict access to the notebooks you create,  the fact that students have their account available means they could create their own channel - as they have - and I can't think of a way to restrict their use of it other than by forbidding the practice.  It could even be useful for the students to share queries and help themselves, though it does raise thoughts of potential bullying and offensive language or content.  With the latest Mac update Evernote have said that they use the product internally,  so have presumably considered some controls on the use of chat - I don't know whether the business product might have more potential for supervision.

There's an educators forum around here - https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/244-evernote-for-educators/ - where the contributors might have some thoughts,  and it would be a good idea to raise your question as a support request.  If you post the ticket number back here we can flag the post for an administrator if someone doesn't lean in anyway to contribute. 

I've not seen anyone address the social and security aspects of chat as yet,  and I thank you for raising it;  I hope Evernote give the issue serious attention.

• Level 5*

However it has come to my attention via another student, that some students have made a new notebook for themselves and sharing it with the class, thus being able to use the workchat to post annoying messages. At this stage, I'm not sure of the extant of this as I can't see anything in workchat on my device. I have since changed their permissions to 'edit' only as I still need them to upload homework. Has anyone run into this kind of issue before? Thanks

If each student owns his/her own Evernote account (Free or paid), there is nothing electronically you can do to prevent them from sharing their own Notebooks with anyone, and that means anyone in the world.  From what I understand of your post, I don't think they have done anything illegal.

Your changing of the permissions on the NB that you shared has NO effect on NBs that they share.

Of course, this is a teaching opportunity for responsibility and discipline.  I'll leave it at that.   ;)

Archived