create nested tags with Android

DTD

Idea

Is there a way that nested tags can be created on an Android phone?

I've read elsewhere that nested tags can be created as follows: "Open the Tags list in Evernote and drop a tag over another to set the former as a sub-tag of the latter."

Sounds simple, however, I am not able to drop a tag over another on my Android phone.  Any suggests appreciated.

Thanks

20 replies to this idea

On 13/06/2016 at 6:08 AM, henrivdm said:

Annoying.  So Evernote experts recommend using nested tags rather than a nested notebook hierarchy for organising notes, but then don't provide a way to do it on the app. Nice.

Agreed.  I feel like this is a must have feature for Android. I have access to my phone 100% of the time - access to my desktop client, maybe 10% of the day.  Easily 90% of my notes created are on my phone and it would be nice to have better ability to sort them on the phone too.

• Like 2

Would  someone please tell me whether this can be done on an iPhone  running the latest version of iOS?  I have an both an iPhone and an android tablet. I have not succeeded to do it in either of them -only on my desktop computer am I able to create nested tags.

I see now from this discussion that there is no way to do it on my android tablet. But perhaps there's a way to do it on my iPhone?  I've been fiddling with it and have not yet succeeded. If someone knows how to do it on an iPhone, please tell me. Thank you. 

Well this is frustrating. I previously nested tags with the Web edition, but the NEW AND IMPROVED version of Web doesn't include nested tags AT ALL. I come to support to learn how to nest tags in Android, and it also doesn't include it. C'mon Evernote! Basic functionality here. (I never  use Windows or Mac, except as a last measure.)

Nested tags are apparently the way to organize in Evernote; so please give us the ability to nest tags!

• Level 5*

The "NEW AND IMPROVED version of Web" is a beta version, and doesn;'t include all the features.
You can revert back to the full feature version.

• Thanks 1

This is nested tag issue somewhat understandable because 30% to 40% of those who use Microsoft Explorer don't even save their information to nested folders... unbelievable but true. I suspect only the technically minded really care about keeping their data organized. With Evernote on my Android, I'm must have over a hundred tags and am forced to use search as my organizational tool which as you can imagine is not always successful. Makes me wonder how organized the Evernote programming staff really is.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Jack Hartsfield said:

This is nested tag issue somewhat understandable because 30% to 40% of those who use Microsoft Explorer don't even save their information to nested folders... unbelievable but true. I suspect only the technically minded really care about keeping their data organized. With Evernote on my Android, I'm must have over a hundred tags and am forced to use search as my organizational tool which as you can imagine is not always successful. Makes me wonder how organized the Evernote programming staff really is.

As mentioned, this (only) applies to mobile apps, and might have more to do with the OS than Evernote being dismissive of tags.  There are ways around the issue - instead of nesting,  various naming formats give the ability to find and apply the correct tag quickly.

Instead of different sub-tags for agents under the 'accounts' heading, naming the tags 'accounts_james', 'accounts_bob' etc means that searching for 'acc' will (probably) get you a menu of all the options - depending on what other tag names you have. 

Saving search queries to a shortcut can also find you notes in whatever date or department groupings you may need.

• Level 5*
On 6/1/2020 at 6:56 AM, Jack Hartsfield said:

...30% to 40% of those who use Microsoft Explorer don't even save their information to nested folders... unbelievable but true. I suspect only the technically minded really care about keeping their data organized....

No folder support in Evernote; I use tags to keep my notes organized
I use the tag hierarchy to keep my tags organized (Mac)

>>With Evernote on my Android, I'm must have over a hundred tags and am forced to use search as my organizational tool

Scrolling the tag list works well with my 300+ tags (Mac and iPad)   
I rarely need to use the search box or tag tree for assigning tags

+1 on desiring to organize tags and extensively using tags to organize notes (versus having to always search).

While existing nested tags are accessible on the web version (I'm required to use Chrome OS now in an education role), there seems to be no ability to maintain tags, only create new ones. I created a new tag and am unable to move it to it's correct parent tag, even though drag/move appears that it should work (click/drag changes the icon from the pointer to the "hand"). Or am I missing something?

Evernote Web v6.14.0

Chrome Version 83.0.4103.112

Hello guys!

I'm absolute a newcomer here. I read this post. Actually I found this forum landing page with Google, because my problem is same. Well I realized is a very old topic, yet.

Does exist, that there is not a solution for this problem, yet?!

I tried using the latest Evernote app on my mobile, but I can create tag only, I'm failure with my sub tag trials. Ok I do agree I can use this option on the desktop version, but that’s also true for me, that I'm not front of PC  with my whole time, rather I'm on mobile. The sub tag option on mobile would be very useful for me. I actually use tags for everything ... because these are my topic categories that make my notes clear. Anyway I absolute do agree with the previouse commenter.