Request: Handwriting in Evernote for iOS

AwesomeEvernoteUser

Idea

Why does evernote not have the ability to handwrite in the iOS version. I don't want to use Penultimate because I don't want to have two copies of my notes in two different applications. I know you can attach a picture of a white piece of paper but that is too cumbersome. Handwriting is available in the Android version, so why not bring it over to iOS. Many user have wanted it and handwriting is an essential part of note taking for me.

84 replies to this idea

I'd like to see Evernote handwriting work like GoodNotes - which is the app I'm now using on the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. You configure it to recognize the Pencil, and it works great! It has ruled paper, and saving and editing existing notes is seamless. These are features I want to see in Evernote.

I would say handwriting is pretty useless on the other iOS devices, because there is no useable pen. These pens are all just artificial fingers.

For simple note-taking an "artificial-finger-pen", a good palm rejection and a zooming function are sufficient.

For this purpose I use Notability every day, with good results. But I want to replace it with Evernote, because of the power of its searching capabilities.

For sketching, drawing, photo editing, etc. iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo would be obviously the best, but I would never buy an expensive iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo only to take notes with a more precise pen..

Maybe on the iPad Pro it is no need of palm rejection, but on other devices the handwriting is pretty useless without a decent palm rejection and a zooming function.

I would say handwriting is pretty useless on the other iOS devices, because there is no useable pen. These pens are all just artificial fingers. I own nearly all (Adonit, Bamboo, etc.), but none felt like a real pen. Apple Pencil is the first useable handwriting device for the iPad.

But anyway, without an automatic save functionality, it is not useable in Evernote anyhow. I hope they come up with a fix to this very soon.

@gewappnet @jdriggs Evernote is for everyone with an iOS device, it is not an exclusive app for iPad Pro users. Maybe on the iPad Pro it is no need of palm rejection, but on other devices the handwriting is pretty useless without a decent palm rejection and a zooming function.

Handwriting in Evernote is really made for the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. No need for palm rejection or zoom, it is just perfect as it is with Apple Pencil.

BUT there is a huge issue: The new drawing screen is not automatically saved in the background! You have to close the screen manually to get the content saved. I lost a whole page of notes because my screen locked and after I unlocked the iPad Evernote was shut down (maybe iOS ended it or it crashed, I don't know). None of the notes I took over 20 minutes were saved!

Guys, I really recommend the new Apple iPad Pro with Pencil. It actually works like pen on paper. Palm rejection is a non-issue. Unwanted marks never happen, regardless of app.

I am so happy to be able to use handwriting in EN. But, as someone mentioned earlier why does it go to a new screen when you select pen? It's bizarre! In OneNote when I select Pen I can mix the typed portion with the handwritten portion, I can mark up drawings I inserted, highlight text, etc. WHY doesn't EN work like that?

Surely there is a plan to make pen and typing fully integrated. Right???

in App Handwriting is a fantastic addition! The Text recognition works great. Perfect for quick handwritten Notes or Sketches.

Heres a small list of features from other apps I'd love to see in future versions(in order of importance)

Palm Rejection with  Bluetooth Styluses (Noteshelf)

Palm Rejection

Palm Rejection

Ruler (iOS Notes)

Automatic Shapes(Paper)

Custom Paper(Noteshelf)

Thanks

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback. We're thrilled to introduce sketching into Evernote for iOS. What we added to version 7.9 is a start, and it will evolve. We want to make sure we keep it simple and useful, so we'll be thoughtful and deliberate as we add features and improvements in the future. 

We hope you like it and appreciate all the suggestions as you become familiar with what it does (and doesn't) do and how it fits into your workflows. We're here, and we're listening.

Cheers,

Chuck

Amazing, Evernote listened and they gave us an awesome enhancement too Evernote iOS and we are still gripping about what it's not rather than focusing on what it is. Baby steps folks. The implementation is great, so keep the feedback coming on enhancement request, but slip a thanks in there every so often. It doesn't hurt to let these folks know how much we appreciate their listening and responding. Cheers

Thank you Evernote team. The best idea, thought, note taking app just got better, continuing the trend of being the best of the best

Great that handwriting is available in iOS for the iPad as well as iPhone!  But am I missing something?  When I select the icon to begin handwriting I get a blank page - even on notes with existing text.  So I'm not able to mark up an existing note, I'm simply adding handwriting (it appears at the bottom) without any coordination to the existing note.  Very difficult to maintain any continuity this way. 

It's great to see this feature added. Lack of Palm rejection means I'm not giving up noteshelf just yet though. Noteshelf has a very clever zoom function for writing, and having to hover my hand above the page when using a stylus is uncomfortable and results in pretty illegible wiring.

Personally, I'd also like to see the "boxing" function. I'm not sure off the proper name for it but when selected it means I can draw a squiggly line square, and it straightens it out.

However, big thumbs up too Evernote for listening to everyone and incorporating this feature. Real excited to see how it improves, there is so much potential here.

Totally excited to see that Evernote now facilitates taking handwritten notes in Evernote for iOS. I like the implementation so thank you for being open to customer comments and suggestions. You guys rock and are top dog in my world. Feel free to continue building on this successful move to note taking supremacy. For those that don't realize it, you can take a picture, annotate that picture, take handwritten notes and all the other greatness that Evernote brings to the table.

THANK YOU EVERNOTE. I can now remove yet another app from my ecosystem. Cheers!

Chuck,

I currently supplement (heavily) my note taking with Notability. If an Evernote note could behave (at least on iOS) like Notability, only with the added bonus of Evernote's powerful features it would be like hitting the note taking lottery. Notability has weak web clipping, is not strong in the task list area and has no reminders but otherwise it is a power house of text and real zoom (not a window zoom), handwriting, and of course sketching capability all in the same note. Merge these features into Evernote and I'd be wildly impressed. One more thing. Palm rejection capability on Notability is above average but I still wish they HAD NOT removed the palm "shelf" that pulled up (or down if you're a lefty) for a place to rest your hand when writing on the screen. If you offered both and gave people a choice... Thanks for listening.

Absolutely!!  I'm in a similar boat.  Hate that I have to use Penultimate EDIT:  NOTABILITY, not Penultimate...for certain scenarios (biggest one being audio recording along with note time sync with the audio (like Livescribe, except it actually works!).  Please bring something like this to an app for the iPad Pro/Apple Pencil!

Been an EN user since the beginning.  I'm an old TabletPC user, and never going back to Win, but miss the active pen input, and inking. My use case is primarily meeting notes, and scoping customer service requirements.  However, I do a lot of web based learning as well, which I like to take notes on.  I need the ability to record audio along with the notes, and to jump right back to that spot.  Man, if you guys can find a way to pull that off on my "coming soon" iPad Pro...game over for me.  It's what I've been wanting for years.  The hardware is finally there for true note taking , just need you guys to step up on the (best) notes app side!

All I can say is, OUTSTANDING job Evernote! It is great to be able to use my stylus within the app now! I know it was just implemented, but I would really like a better writing utensil selection i.e. pencil, pen, marker, etc. I would really like to also see options for paper types, finishes, and colors like the Bamboo Paper offers. Just wanted to add what I would like to see implemented in the upcoming versions. Thanks again for listening to your users!!

Cheers,

Jared

On 8/25/2015 at 8:46 PM, cifip said:

Hi all,

As we think about handwriting capabilities and consider adding such features in the Evernote for iOS app, we wanted to get your feedback.

Specifically, we'd like to know how and when you would use handwriting, what situations would you switch from typing to handwriting, what kind of handwriting/sketching/etc. do you think you would do in the app? What feature expectations do you have for handwriting within Evernote? How would your usage differ between iPhone and iPad? How would you expect handwritten notes to behave in non-iOS Evernote clients?

I appreciate any thoughts you're willing to share on the this topic. This will help us prioritize and design features that are right for our users.

(There are a couple other threads on this topic, but I'm going to point those threads here and treat this as the primary thread.)

Thanks!

Chuck

Same feature as OneNote, would be so useful, thanks for considereing. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-08 at 8:41 AM, Anusix said:

I really hope to get an answer from Evernote to let me know how is this feature being implemented in the near feature

Evernote rarely comments on future plans.

imho  I’m not seeing this as do-able with the base html format used by Evernote. It requires a proprietary format

I use Notability on my iPad and add the document as a note attachment

Hi Evernote Team, 

I´d like to add my experience to this thread. I have been using Evernote for 2 years now and in general I am very happy with it. The issue has come once I bought a tablet and a Stylus and I was willing to write directly into my pdfs, images etc. I habe been trying many apps, and after all what I found out is that I would just love to have the onenote writing feature in evernote. 

Now I can only add to evernote a handwritten page. That process isolates me from the note context, and I cannot connect any of my handwriting notes to the related/referenced area.

What I really would like is something like "liquidtext" is doing, letting you make references, taking out parts of your document, all of it in one common area next to the imported document. This area appears next to the printout and lets you play with the references and will grow with the amount of writing. 

As I have Premium account, I really hope to get an answer from Evernote to let me know how is this feature being implemented in the near feature, as it is a real necessity within the iPad + Stylus context. It would really bring a huge value to the product.

Thanks in advance!

On 7/23/2015 at 0:23 PM, AwesomeEvernoteUser said:

Why does evernote not have the ability to handwrite in the iOS version. I don't want to use Penultimate because I don't want to have two copies of my notes in two different applications. I know you can attach a picture of a white piece of paper but that is too cumbersome. Handwriting is available in the Android version, so why not bring it over to iOS. Many user have wanted it and handwriting is an essential part of note taking for me.

Yes ! I to have been waiting for iOS for Evernote to have handwriting support, but with Adonit styluses (Pixel) integration. Evernote should consider the lo awaited: 

1- stylus integration  

2- free draw / annotate in both PDF and note. Like goodnotes / notability  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Hel10s said:

The thing is, we may type something and then want to annotate it, or draw around it.

Not a feature in EN, and I don't think this is supported by ENs file format (mostly HTML)

My suggestion is to look at using a dedicated editing app.

My favourite app is Notability on my iPad 

On 2/23/2017 at 11:57 PM, DTLow said:

fwiw  The note editing feature has a pen icon for creating a sketch/handwriting section in the note

That is true, and the sketch Padi area is nice to have. The thing is, we may type something and then want to annotate it, or draw around it. Or the reverse... writing something and then typing next to it. And, having a separate app just for handwriting is cumbersome. The pages are imported as read only, and there isn't much crossover. In some ways, I'd enjoy using a moleskin over penultimate (which Evernote has and they are quite nice).

for me, I'd just love to have one app wherein my business notes, my web captures, my journal, my sketches, are all in one place... a living, breathing, body of work, captured, editable, always changing and evolving. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Edwin Diaz said:

If I am typing a note, and I want to take some notes within that note, or maybe doodle inside the note, like drawing something, or creating a flowchart within a note, I should be able to do so.

fwiw  The note editing feature has a pen icon for creating a sketch/handwriting section in the note

I use to use Penultimate and liked it, but it required opening a separate app, behaving like an external standalone app rather than being embedded in Evernote in an intuitive way.

If I am typing a note, and I want to take some notes within that note, or maybe doodle inside the note, like drawing something, or creating a flowchart within a note, I should be able to do so. If it is not integrated into the note taking experience it is not worth the effort.

For example, right now I can record sound, add some type written notes and add a photo to a note. What is missing, is being able to add some handwritten notes, a sketch or drawing all within the same note. Maybe annotating within a note would also be handy.

Thank you for asking for feedback.

It will only help make Evernote the best again if implemented correctly.

Thank you in advance!   

I think Evernote should unify handwriting across all platforms. Right now the windows client have "Ink Note", Android Handwriting, and ios Penultimatum. You can't edit any of these three on the other platform. That in my opinion is something Evernote should address quickly. Handwriting protocol keeps getting fragmented.

The best one I've tried so far is the Android one; it would be really really good if we can get the same thing on the windows and ios clients.

I agree. Handwriting in Everntoe does not need to packed full of features. The major advantage of having the ability is two-fold: handwritten notes in like with text, and basic mark-up. While things like diagramming would be a plus, the primary focus is the writing capability. I use Evernote for my job (I work in IT) and having the ability to quickly jot down a thought or comment, while I'm walking around, or be able to mark up something I typed in a meeting are the biggest things. Right now, the best combination I have for all of these is Paper (for diagramming), with OneNote, where I have type notes as well as sketch all in line, and which Paper now exports to. The thing is, ideally, I don't want to be beholden to Microsoft, and Evernote is a provocative alternative.

Above all, we all would want the best handwriting experience possible, with support for the top styli, and basic highlighting, all integrated with our typed notes. We don't need fancy calligraphy, or different types of writing utensils. Get the simple core right and you'll have us at hello.

hmm, I'm using Penultimate if I start a "hand-writing-session" :-) just because it works like a "real" stack of paper.

It would be great if EN finally would consolidate annotation, sketching and hand writing into one single approach.

Ever tried to annotate a PDF using Apple Pencil with EN + Penultimate - no way!

EN has a form recognition (circles, lines, etc.) while sketching - Penultimate not. Insert an image to sketch it using EN? - not possible.

It's really time to bring those different engines into one consolidated solution!

12 hours ago, David_Low said:

Would you really use Evernote for a whole page of handwriting.

Yes, I would and I actually do every day. It is really like a real writing pad. A white paper and a pen - what do you need more? All the additional functionalities of other note taking apps are needed because of the problems with those finger-like pens. E. g. why would anyone need a zoom functionality on a normal paper with a normal pen?

• Level 5*

>>I think this thread is about handwriting

Thats true.  It's just that I see the tools being used are more useful for a quick sketch.  This includes the capacitive stylus and the new feature in Evernote.

I can't speak for the IPad Pro and Apple Pencil.  Would you really use Evernote for a whole page of handwriting.  While I will always use Evernote for my digital filing, I'm thinking that other apps are much better for the actual note writing.

I find the current simple stylus selection adequate for a quick sketch. You'd properly want something with a finer point for more detailed work, but I don't think EN is the product for that.

I think this thread is about handwriting. Evernote is perfect for taking notes via handwriting - but ONLY on the iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil. Works great - unless a full page of handwritten notes was lost because Evernote had not saved it.

• Level 5*

Maybe on the iPad Pro it is no need of palm rejection, but on other devices the handwriting is pretty useless without a decent palm rejection and a zooming function.

I would say handwriting is pretty useless on the other iOS devices, because there is no useable pen. These pens are all just artificial fingers. I own nearly all (Adonit, Bamboo, etc.), but none felt like a real pen. Apple Pencil is the first useable handwriting device for the iPad.

But anyway, without an automatic save functionality, it is not useable in Evernote anyhow. I hope they come up with a fix to this very soon.

I agree with the auto-save comment.

I find the current simple stylus selection adequate for a quick sketch. You'd properly want something with a finer point for more detailed work, but I don't think EN is the product for that.

As for palm rejection, for a quick solution why don't you put a tissue or cloth under your palm ( make sure it's clean and soft to avoid scratching). I saw a post from a digital artist who had a drawing glove with the fingers cut off.

• Level 5*

I would say handwriting is pretty useless on the other iOS devices, because there is no useable pen. These pens are all just artificial fingers.

For simple note-taking an "artificial-finger-pen", a good palm rejection and a zooming function are sufficient.

For this purpose I use Notability every day, with good results. But I want to replace it with Evernote, because of the power of its searching capabilities.

For sketching, drawing, photo editing, etc. iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo would be obviously the best, but I would never buy an expensive iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo only to take notes with a more precise pen..

I also use Notability; it's just a better tool for note taking. However, I immediately save the note as a pdf in EverNote.

Now there was an update, but there is still no saving in the background! You have to close the handwriting panel in order to save it. That's just not feasible. In a meeting you don't want to constantly close and re-open your notes every minute just to make sure your notes are not lost.

Could someone from Evernote please notice that this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed?

I use Penultimate to take notes in sales calls, training seminars, conference calls, etc. I don't have a problem having it as a separate app from Evernote, but if handwriting was built into EN I'm sure I would go that route instead.

What I would really like, is the ability to convert handwritten notes to typed text. Currently, I hand write the note and then have to type it into our company's call report system. If I could convert to text and be able to cut and paste, it would save me an incredible amount of time. I'm a slow typist!

A couple of more small items on my wish list would be: The ability to slow down the auto scroll (at least a little!) and more choices in pen styles. (Not that important, but I played around a little with Good Notes and liked being able to use the calligraphy pen for some notes.)

Handwriting in iOS would be a lifesaver for me when:

Physically walking around our showroom or a client's house listening to them and taking notes (and diagramming, if necessary) about which of our products they want and where (and how) they want them installed. It is impossible to type, walk and listen all at the same time. Later on, the handwritten notes can be translated into text for official bids. Diagrams, similarly, are cleaned up and formally copied onto P.O.s for ordering purposes.

Like other loyal Evernote users, I want to be able to do this in Evernote and not have to switch into a separate app.

Thanks for listening.... Evernote rocks!

I was very glad to see this post! I have an android work phone, but I'm an iOS guy, and I was surprised that there was no freestyle handwriting feature on my new iPad.

I'm a visual thinker. While I wouldn't use handwriting to write words (I'm a faster typer, and it's easier to search), anytime I need to sketch out a quick tattoo idea, art concept, pedalboard signal chain, or story arc, this feature would be a godsend. For me, the simpler and cleaner the drawing feature, the better. There are other apps for painting that need finer control, but Evernote, for me, is all about recording ideas quickly. Having the ability to represent an idea visually rather than trying to describe it would cut my idea capture time in half.

Thanks for listening to my input! I'm a die hard Evernote fan, and I can't wait for handwriting on iOS!

I'd be able to handwriting on my iPad for:

- Taking notes in class w/o having to switch around from different apps and camera mode.

- Writing out detailed information for clients (financial services industry), with the ability to share it with them. 

what kind of handwriting/sketching do you think you would do in the app? 

i have used penultimate on the ipad for a long time. my usage in descending order of recurrence is as follows

annotations

flowcharts, 

wire-framing

project planning

space planning

use-case diagrams

todo/task management

sketching

on the iOS my prime focus would be on how quickly i can take a handwritten note. i think it would be great if i could do it right from the widget. 

What feature expectations do you have for handwriting within Evernote?

ability to write on previously created typed/clipped notes.

auto shapes for easy diagramming.

auto-advance for cursive writing.

ability to choose between erasing a part or entire stroke.

palm rejection when using a stylus

How would your usage differ between iPhone and iPad?

I'd expect to use handwriting on the iphone while on the move. iPad for handwriting when im sitting down...too clumsy to handle an ipad 2, a stylus and a cigarette while moving around.

How would you expect handwritten notes to behave in non-iOS Evernote clients?

as seamless as possible.

Chuck,

I currently supplement (heavily) my note taking with Notability. If an Evernote note could behave (at least on iOS) like Notability, only with the added bonus of Evernote's powerful features it would be like hitting the note taking lottery. Notability has weak web clipping, is not strong in the task list area and has no reminders but otherwise it is a power house of text and real zoom (not a window zoom), handwriting, and of course sketching capability all in the same note. Merge these features into Evernote and I'd be wildly impressed. One more thing. Palm rejection capability on Notability is above average but I still wish they HAD NOT removed the palm "shelf" that pulled up (or down if you're a lefty) for a place to rest your hand when writing on the screen. If you offered both and gave people a choice... Thanks for listening.

Thank you for the email, as this is the kind of thing that makes Evernote stand second to none against everyone else. 

With that said, where I would like to use Evernote hand writing is when talking to someone and they are providing me a quick phone # or address or I need to make a quick sketch. Neither of these situations would require OCR or anything like it. It would be nice to make selections of areas of the hand written notes or sketches to move them around within the same screen, but that would not be necessary.

Several apps I use for this kind of thing is ZoomNotes, Paper and Penultimate although Penultimate,even with its integration to Evernote is not the one I go to first as it really worked better at one time before it was updated and in my opinion, ruined.

The advantage of being able to create these hand written notes natively in Evernote would be that I wouldn't have to open a separate app to do what I do. I would like to create, manage and edit these notes natively within Evernote. Not even Penultimate does this. 

Thank you for the opportunity to provide my feedback. 

• Level 5*

OK - not an iOS user,  but some suggested scenarios..

I'll handwrite when I need to :

• copy all or part of a diagram that's impractical to photograph
  • deal with maths or chemical formulae
  • sketch out dimensions of a shelf/ cabinet/ desk
  • mindmap an idea
  • list out a food order so I don't forget anyone

Just suggestions off the top of my head...

• Level 5

Hi all,

As we think about handwriting capabilities and consider adding such features in the Evernote for iOS app, we wanted to get your feedback.

Specifically, we'd like to know how and when you would use handwriting, what situations would you switch from typing to handwriting, what kind of handwriting/sketching/etc. do you think you would do in the app? What feature expectations do you have for handwriting within Evernote? How would your usage differ between iPhone and iPad? How would you expect handwritten notes to behave in non-iOS Evernote clients?

I appreciate any thoughts you're willing to share on the this topic. This will help us prioritize and design features that are right for our users.

(There are a couple other threads on this topic, but I'm going to point those threads here and treat this as the primary thread.)

Thanks!

Chuck

Wow, i just updated Paper for iOS and it is beautiful. Giving credit where credit is due, the folks at Evernote are awesome as they have consistently added a lot of functionality to Evernote even when it seemed impossible to do so and they are responsive to our needs and request, as I learned first hand when the removed the sharing link and they reverse that change almost within 48 hours on request from many of its customers, myself being one of them. Evernote is still the king of note taking, but I will be the first to say, adding some sort of free style now taking to Evernote would be huge as it is the last frontier which is still missing in a wonderful and productive landscape.

Thank you I advance for considering the aforementioned and thank you for being so incredibly open to listen to your customers needs and request. Cheers

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels that handwriting is the missing feature in Evernote and that penultimate, which use to be a great app, was not and never will be the answer. Funny that for all the great things that Evernote is, and it is many, a place to write and sketch it is not. Hand writing recognition is not important to me. Just being able to scribble some notes and sketch some ideas would do if for me. You've got the engine I penultimate, just migrate it over to Evernote Premium so you at last get paid for it. Now rat would make an otherwise perfect app three best app ever. Cheers

I think it would be very useful (especially on a device the size of the iPad pro) to be able to create a virtual idea board inside of an evernote note.  Imagine it this way - I'm on a job site and I take photos of parts of the house, and maybe even one from the front and back of the house.   I'd like to just stick these photos into my note, and then annotate/mark them up, combined with regular notes below and in-between them.  On small screens this might seem silly - but it will be huge.  Right now use a live scribe because it lets me free hand note take, but I'd love to just witch entirely to digital with an apple pencil or any stylus on a non iPad pro device.  I also think the creation of the iPad pro and pencil will open the door for competitors if evernote does not flex its muscles and take on this new technology quickly.

I just hope we can bring simple parity to Evernote iOS with Evernote Android. Lets keep it simple and make it available. Bottom line, I want to stay in the Evernote eco system and not need to jump out of it to take or manage a note. Thank you Evernote team. 

>>The only thing Evernote is missing is handwriting!

There are also requests in the forum to add word processing features, spreadsheet features, a calendar ...etc.

For me, if I want to do serious note taking, I use Notability. But as soon as I'm done, I export to pdf and file the document in Evernote via the share menu.

Likewise, for serious word processing, I use a word processing app, and for serious spreadsheeting, I use a spreadsheet app.

I do use Evernote for simple notes, but for me, it's real value is as a digital filing cabinet.

I'm not sure I want to see it bloated with partially developed features that are handled better by other dedicated apps.

The "power" of Evernote, among other things, is in its searching capabilities.. If you export your notability notes in PDF, your handwritten notes will not be "searchable".

There is need of an integrated solution that also allows searching in handwritten notes.

I have asked for this feature before but I think that it must have been under a different forum. I think that Evernote should integrate features from the other apps that they buy - like with scannable. I would love to be able to just open Evernote and use handwriting rather than have to rely on other apps. Lack of this feature means that other apps are really leaving Evernote behind. Many of the handwriting apps are starting to offer note storage in the Cloud. I love Evernote and would hate to see it overtaken!

As a long time user of Evernote on iOS, I had no idea that there were any differences at all between the two mobile apps, Android vs iOS.  One of the major reasons for using something like Evernote, in my opinion of course, would be the cross-platform nature.  Write on a tablet, pick up on the desktop.  Wherever life takes you, you have your "notebook" no matter the setting.  Physical input differences aside between certain platforms, I'm actually shocked this is not a feature across the board and that we even have to ask this here.

As a user I expect that whether I pick up a Surface tablet, iOS device, Android device, use the desktop app, or any other method, that I will have a similar experience across each device.  Evernote, to me, is a "service."  Much like Pandora or Netflix, I expect that my account, as it is accessible from a device, will have the same functionality.

Again, this is just my opinion and respect goes to Evernote for the great features they do have.  But I feel that being able to hand-write on one device and not another is like having Netflix that will only play movies and no TV shows on one platform, but everything combined on the other.

Just my $.02.

I would agree with David Low. Let's not over do it. Just think of it this way. Evernote for Android already has the ability to take handwritten notes, sketches, in essence, it already provides for free hand notes. Let's just bring parity and leave it at that.

Cheers 

• Level 5*

>>The only thing Evernote is missing is handwriting!

There are also requests in the forum to add word processing features, spreadsheet features, a calendar ...etc.

For me, if I want to do serious note taking, I use Notability. But as soon as I'm done, I export to pdf and file the document in Evernote via the share menu.

Likewise, for serious word processing, I use a word processing app, and for serious spreadsheeting, I use a spreadsheet app.

I do use Evernote for simple notes, but for me, it's real value is as a digital filing cabinet.

I'm not sure I want to see it bloated with partially developed features that are handled better by other dedicated apps.

Bottom line folks, this is a real struggle because Evernote is the best darn note taking and collection app in the universe, partly because of everything it does and partly because of the folks who stand behind Evernote, who happen to be the most responsive to us users of any company I know. 

The only app I have found out there that does what I wish Evernote would add is Notability. If we could get that basic functionality, Evernote would again be light years ahead of anything or else in the universe. 

I will start using Notability for the time being hoping Evernote can emulate the functionality in its own product. Funny thing, Evernote already has a solution called Penultimate, if they could just port it over, it would make Evernote feel complete beyond my wildest dreams. 

Just lose the new interface adopted for Penultimate and go back to the original if anything as the new interface caused me to stop using it. Big step back for an otherwise awesome app. 

Thank you all and cheers!

EDwin Diaz

Handwriting in Evernote for I OS will help me a lot because I want to write notes after the lecturer, I want to draw the diagrams that he drew in the same page (note) where I am writing down text, so I don't need to switch between apps.

Also, please add the ability to convert the handwriting into text, it would be cool,

Thanks

One more voice in agreement to this. If I could handwrite directly into Evernote notes and on to PDFs, I'd be a loyal Evernoter for good!

Right now I'm torn between Evernote and Notability. Notability is really good, but it's got nowhere near as many features as Evernote. The only thing Evernote is missing is handwriting!

Handwriting is a very useful feature. I am now trying to decide between EN and OneNote iOS. One of the good feature of OneNote is that I can easily draw anything on the note using stylus. But for EN, it's awful that I have to open the keyboard and type the words in. It's very inconvenient.

Please add handwriting to iOS version. It's a must have feature.

There is quite a few people in my company that use this app for tasks, scheduling, and taking notes. I was made aware of this app and am willing to switch over to this app if ONLY they could bring over handwriting. This is a must for me as I have been taking notes on my iPad for quite some time. Please bring us an update Evernote!

Cheers,

Jared

Handwriting directly in notes on Evernote for iOS is the missing feature for me.

I'm waiting for a very long time..

I need to write typed text mixed with sketch, diagrams, formulas, annotations and mapping.. Like on Notability, with the “plus” of Evernote synchronization.

I need that feature especially on iPad, but also on iPhone.

I hope it will be available as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I unfortunately missed the study trial. Handwriting would be a huge improvement for me. I currently use evernote for everything, but can't use it for several key parts of my job (I am a scientist and teacher). I occasionally use penultimate, but having a separate notebook for handwritten stuff is not useful for me. I also take notes in a physical notebook and then photo them into the evernote app occasionally but find this clunky.

Below are things I do in text and then things that I would like to do with handwriting integrated into the native evernote iOS app.

Text:

Notes at a meeting

Brainstorming agenda items at my computer

Planning and clipping while web surfing

Making lists (I like lists)

Things I need handwriting for:

Math/science-heavy notes (equations, diagrams). I would take these while taking notes in lectures and science meetings. Very useful to be able to type to get the ideas down and then sketch in the note the key figures/equations.

Diagramming designs for scientific instruments

Flow charts

I would likely use these almost exclusively on the iPad but also at times on the iPhone.

• Level 5

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

We are looking to conduct some user testing on a new version of Evernote for the iPad. This testing will involve downloading a special version of Evernote, using a certain feature every day for a week, and participating in video calls with our research team to talk about your experience. If you’re interested, you can sign up for a slot here: http://bit.ly/1LcGwBa

Disclosure:

The study will entail:
- downloading and using a special version of Evernote on your iPad
- use this version of Evernote every day for one week, and track your usage
- participate in two 30-minute video calls, one on Thursday September 17 and another on Thursday September 24

To participate, you will need to:
1. Be at least 18 years old
2. Sign a Usability Non-Disclosure Agreement
3. Allow us to record the session

Cheers,
Chuck

Good morning folks,

As it relates to hand writting in Evernote, my opinion is that I can do all kinds of note taking in Evernote from taking a photo, recording my voice and typing some notes, and even forward emails to my account all on the fly, with full access to all of these notes, on the fly from within the app I'm currently using all day long, so with that, the only thing that is missing, is the ability to sketch or write some quick notes right in Evernote.

Penultimate is ok, not as good as it once was, but at the end of the day, it is a separate app which the ability to save files to Evernote, like so many others, but you still need to open a different app to edit.

Again, I am in Evernote all day long. I'm taking notes in a meeting. Bullet notes, photos, and even sound. I can even email other pieces of information to my account. Then, I want to sketch a thought real quick or take some quick hand written notes and I have to close Evernote, open Penultimate, create a sketch or save some hand written notes and then I have to switch to Evernote.

Later, I am looking at my meeting notes, and I can update any of it on the fly with the exception of the sketch. I can see it but I have to switch/open Penultimate to edit any of it.

Not as conducive as everything else in Evernote.

Penultimate should be used for more intense work perhaps, but for a quick sketch or a quick note, let me do it directly in Evernote.

Example, I made a note with my sprinkler system so I can troubleshoot it easier but the only thing I can not do is make a quick sketch right in the same note.

I don't think hand writting recognition is all that important in my world. Simple is what Evernote is all about. 

Thank you in advance...

Archived