Very slow response time & delayed typing on Mac OS

Hi,

I'm a premium member - using Evernote on Mac OS (last version),

I installed 6.0.16 - and I noticed (on my 2 computers) that sometime typing is delayed by a couple of seconds - making the application unusable for note taking.

Is there any way to fix this ? Are you planning to release a fix ? 

Thanks -- JC

Ha, you too?!

I have an open ticket with EN about this right now. They currently don't have any other reports.  Can you email them and they them they are having the same issue so they know I am not crazy? :)

Restarting the app seems to be the only thing to fix it, it seems time based, after some time, or some action, it slows down until a repeat.  Often times to a terrible 4-5 seconds where you are waiting for it to catch up to you, which for me, slows down my accuracy of typing by a huge margin.

Are you running any strange apps that may cause this?  I thought for a while it may be Keyboard Maestro as I use that to pump a date into the app as I don't like the date format that EN uses and want one of my own.  At the very least, include the time, but I would really prefer to date format it myself with something like %M/%D/%Y - %H:%M:%S %Z Then we can all pick our date format and are not limited to the three or four they have and even less for non US citizens where the month and day are in a different place.

If you figure out anything, let me know.  What hardware are you on?  6.0.16 was when it started for me as far as I can tell also.

I've had delayed typing issues before and after the latest upgrade, as well. It's a hassle and I don't think it's related to any apps on my Mac since I don't actually have many apps. Does it have anything to do with memory storage? 

Hi - I'm running into the same issue.  I installed the new update, and ever since, my Evernote has been running slow.  It will start out ok, but the longer I use it, the more delays in typing and function it seems to have.  I've tried restarting my computer, shutting down any other programs, but nothing seems to fix it.   I don't think it has anything to do with memory or storage as my computer (Macbook Pro) currently seems to have plenty of both, and I'm still experiencing issues.   I have not installed any new apps, either, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the update.  I am going to be contacting them, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Same for me too on OS 10.10.4. and EN 6.0.16. Seems to get worse as the note gets longer. Simple text. Occasional bulleted and number list. Occasional bolding/underlining. No images or any other elements.

Would be really nice to have this fixed. I've been following the conversation since 6.0.9. And as many have said, it renders EN practically unusable.

I've had delayed typing issues before and after the latest upgrade, as well. It's a hassle and I don't think it's related to any apps on my Mac since I don't actually have many apps. Does it have anything to do with memory storage? 

I don't think so.  If it were, then it wold not happen over time, as it does for me.  Granted, it could, as over time your machine tends to use more memory.  But I watch memory usage closely, I have 6GB free right now, and that is real free memory, never used, though I did just reboot. When the typing slows, I look at memory more closely, and have GB's available.  I quit all other apps and the problem still does not go away. Only a restart of the app seems to fix it.

So it could be an internal EN memory issue, perhaps it is sucking up memory, not releasing it as needed, and getting it's head stuck in the oven so to speak.

If there were something we could do, EN will have to tell us.  When it is happening we can take video, we can do a crash report, we can create spin dumps, or they could release a debug version that logs certain things they think may be causing this, or they can say, we have no other reports of this.  Right now, there are two people, you and me, and I hope more post here.  Sucks having to prove when something is not working right.  But this is one of those bugs that will follow the app and only get worse over time.

How in the world can there be "no reports if this" when there are this many reports in a forum, and think how many users don't email support, don't use forums etc. This is widespread as far as I am concerned.  I wish EN was more open about things and would say, "we are looking into this" etc.  I seem to recall a blog post from their CEO of more than a year ago in which he specifically sated they were going to clean up things, more transparent, etc.  While I was not using EN a year ago if I am to assume they did in fact follow that blog post, I can't even imagine how EN was a prior to that post.  How did anyone get support?  Jus through each other?

I first read about this problem being reported (in forums at least) in version 6.0.9. Evernote acknowledged it then, and at points beyond. There have been a few releases since then, but it seems to persist.

Yeah, it is a pesky one for sure.  I also experience it in web forms on twitter, and also in 1Password but only at random times.  In EN, for me, it is time related, the longer in EN, the slower typing gets, in the other apps, totally random.  I have 1Password open all day, it can be zippy all day long, then all of a sudden, it slows down.  This may sound strange, but I think it has something to do with pasting, the more you paste, the more you exacerbate the issue.  Go on a copy and paste mission and see if the app slows down in typing, for me, that is the only thing I can do to sort of reproduce this, aside from waiting, time will always slow EN down for me on this issue.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to throw my .02 in. I was experiencing this maddening issue too. 

I realized two things: 

1. I use Launchbar, which stores everything in my clipboard for the past day
  2. In Evernote, I employ the use of a single Notebook ("Cabinet"), and filter based off the tags in my system.

This morning I cleared everything in my clipboard for LaunchBar, and set it to only keep the last 30 - 40 items.  I also created a new notebook, and moved by note there to begin editing it.

It is now 2:30 PM and I've been in Evernote all day without the slowness.  Now, stupidly, I should have tried it after clearing the clipboard. Then, I'd know which item may have affected it, but again, this is only worth .02...sooo...hope this helps someone.

How in the world can there be "no reports if this" when there are this many reports in a forum, and think how many users don't email support, don't use forums etc. This is widespread as far as I am concerned.  I wish EN was more open about things and would say, "we are looking into this" etc.  I seem to recall a blog post from their CEO of more than a year ago in which he specifically sated they were going to clean up things, more transparent, etc.  While I was not using EN a year ago if I am to assume they did in fact follow that blog post, I can't even imagine how EN was a prior to that post.  How did anyone get support?  Jus through each other?

And I bellve, they now have a new CEO, who has stated the same, to deliver on those promises, jettison the cruft that has built up over time, and get things focused.  On day one, since he did not remove the socks, the terrible scanner that is hampered down, the note books, and basically the entire store, seriously, socks?!  I have little hope, that is a email away to disable those features on the site, no one cares to wear Evernote socks, that is just a company that is too large, and execs are having a fun time when they are golfing with their embroidered socks.

Have not heard a peep out of the new CEO since he was announced and put in place.

• Level 5*

And I bellve, they now have a new CEO, who has stated the same, to deliver on those promises, jettison the cruft that has built up over time, and get things focused.  On day one, since he did not remove the socks, the terrible scanner that is hampered down, the note books, and basically the entire store, seriously, socks?!  I have little hope, that is a email away to disable those features on the site, no one cares to wear Evernote socks, that is just a company that is too large, and execs are having a fun time when they are golfing with their embroidered socks.

Have not heard a peep out of the new CEO since he was announced and put in place.

Hi.  The new CEO has been quoted fairly widely on Evernote matters,  hit the blog at the end of last month - https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/29/a-note-from-chris-oneill/ - and recently let 40-odd staff go and closed three offices in various countries,  so he seems to be making his presence felt.

As to the embroidered socks issue,  I don't think the same guys who code the apps sit there with a needle and thread - and while I can't be bothered to find the reference,  the shop did contribute some significant income from folks who like that sort of thing.  I'm pretty sure the management / staffing and operation of the shop doesn't affect Evernote's overall technical performance though it is helping to keep the lights on so I'm willing to be broadminded about it...

• 1 year later...

Same problem with me. I;m amazed that given I pay for this service I cannot actually write an extensive note. I have already downloaded onenote with a view to changing.

There are several workarounds that have been suggested, all of which seem rather time intensive and I ask myself why, if I am paying for a premium service should I be even thinking about a work around. This really needs to be sorted out. it looks like some sort of old tethering system. 

1 hour ago, pmannu said:

Same problem with me. I;m amazed that given I pay for this service I cannot actually write an extensive note. I have already downloaded onenote with a view to changing.

There are several workarounds that have been suggested, all of which seem rather time intensive and I ask myself why, if I am paying for a premium service should I be even thinking about a work around. This really needs to be sorted out. it looks like some sort of old tethering system. 

Hi there @pmannu, thanks for reporting this. I've seen similar reports from other users. I see you have a Premium subscription, are you able to open a support ticket for this? We'd like to take a look at the activity logs as well as a sample log from your Activity Monitor to determine what can be done in terms of a resolution.

If you do end up submitting the support ticket, let me know the number here and I can follow up on it for you. Thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2016 at 11:07 PM, pmannu said:

Completely agree. And I have immediately downgraded from paid to basic. Not worth paying for such a slow software.

Similar performance issues here; they seem to be document-specific (and not based on doc size). When editing some files, EN gives me the beach-ball more of the time than not.

OSX 10.10.5, EN 6.11

Same issue here. I'm guessing it has to do with all the pictures I paste into the Notes. Most notes are rendered unusable, and I can't type 10 words without seeing the beach-ball. Very frustrating

macOS Sierra - 10.12.5 Beta (16F71b)

EN - 6.11 (454876 App Store)

• 5 months later...

Same issue on macOS Yosemite 10.10.5

This issue make Evernote app unusable when i write a not with 1000 character (or 200 words).

This frustrating and terrible for your business, users can't wait 5 secondes on every typed character !

I stop used it and back to traditional MS Word.

• 4 months later...

Archived