Stacks within stacks within stacks

I am trying to make a final decision on using Evernote to organize my next book project. One thing that's holding me back is the fact that you can only drill down one level in creating folders/stacks. I'd love to go down one or two more. I've seen discussions in which users said they would gladly pay for premium membership if you'd add that feature. Any progress?

As you note, this has been discussed at great, great, length. As far as I have heard, there is unsurprisingly no news on whether or not this will be implemented. Evernote are famously tight-lipped about their future plans so I don't think we'll here any news until its already in our laps. I also think it is unlikely we'll see it (in the near future), as Evernote has historically expressed little interest in adding hierarchy. That being said, anything is possible and Evernote has periodically done things it previously expressed no interest in. 

That being said, I suggest that you avoid investing your time (and money?) in something in the hopes that they add features you think are mission critical, and rather evaluate it for the features that currently exist. The future is never certain, and there's no point in banking time and money on it if you can avoid it.

If you cannot adapt to the flat taxonomy offered by Evernote, you'd be best to consider other options, the majority of which offer hierarchical taxonomies. There's an extensive discussion of alternatives here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66103-power-user-discontent-best-alternatives-to-en/page-32#entry370216

• Level 5*

Some forgo the depth of a notebook structure and use tags with the power of search.  If you see value in the other functions of EN my guess would be you could easily work around the lack of notebook layers.  If not, to Scott's point, I would look elsewhere.  To be clear though, I'm in "the fewer the notebooks the easier the search camp". 

Some forgo the depth of a notebook structure and use tags with the power of search.  If you see value in the other functions of EN my guess would be you could easily work around the lack of notebook layers.  If not, to Scott's point, I would look elsewhere.  To be clear though, I'm in "the fewer the notebooks the easier the search camp". 

I'm with you on this. It took a while to get used to how to make tagging and searching work, but I'm wholeheartedly with you: As few notebooks as possible, careful tag use, and search. It is an amazingly effective strategy for me. 

I use many notebooks. Around 150. Since it's not possible to just share a some notes in the notebook I needs duplicates of 10.

Some approximate 10 are for temporally use, from a few hours to a week. Collection data, notes and when I've done with them I merge and the notebooks are ready for new name and new notes.

I use tags to. And have 2000 +. And struggling to get better with search.

But once in a while I want to have boxes to put the stacks in. Archive? Or chapters in the notebooks...

Just one level more! ;)

I have an archive stack, I delete the tags (keep YYYY-MM and add Arkiv) in notebook when I move them to any notebook in archive. If I need them I have to search.

Yes, just one more level would do it. But I can definitely see that intelligent tagging would accomplishing something close to the same thing. The alternative is DevonThink, which I've tried unsuccessfully to make my peace with for quite a while now. It is just so hideously ugly that I can't stand to look at it.

• Level 5

I use many notebooks. Around 150. Since it's not possible to just share a some notes in the notebook I needs duplicates of 10.

Some approximate 10 are for temporally use, from a few hours to a week. Collection data, notes and when I've done with them I merge and the notebooks are ready for new name and new notes.

But once in a while I want to have boxes to put the stacks in. Archive? Or chapters in the notebooks...

Just one level more! ;)

I have an archive stack, I delete the tags (keep YYYY-MM and add Arkiv) in notebook when I move them to any notebook in archive. If I need them I have to search.

Delete the tags on the archived notes; after all the work you did to get the information into Evernote? 

I can understand the tags would add some additional clutter and noise to your search results, but the tags can still be useful.

If I don't want archived notes showing up in a search, I would add the search term -tag:Arkiv 

Some other reasons to keep tags on archived notes:

1. The search term might be misspelled: 

search term: "Moammar Gaddafi"

actual spelling: "Muammar al-Gaddafi" or "Muammar Gaddafi" or "Moammar Gadhafi" or "Moammar Qaddafi"

The tag: Gaddafi would cover all these legitimate variations.

2. The same sort of problems arises with honorifics. Consider the different ways the media reports on Barack Obama.
Is it the President?, the leader of the free world?, the commander-in-chief?, or the commander in chief (with no hyphens)?, or POTUS? All of these possibilities make a search more difficult and less accurate. A single tag nails it. 

I understand it would be too much work to add tags back to the archived notes you already have, but you might want to consider keeping the tags on notes you archive in the future. The drawback is that you will need to include the search term -tag:Arkiv more often, but your search results accuracy will increase.

This is just my opinion.

Your method might be fine for your use of Evernote.

Just one level more! ;)

Delete the tags on the archived notes; after all the work you did to get the information into Evernote? 

I can understand the tags would add some additional clutter and noise to your search results, but the tags can still be useful.

If I don't want archived notes showing up in a search, I would add the search term -tag:Arkiv 

Some other reasons to keep tags on archived notes:

1. The search term might be misspelled: 

search term: "Moammar Gaddafi"

actual spelling: "Muammar al-Gaddafi" or "Muammar Gaddafi" or "Moammar Gadhafi" or "Moammar Qaddafi"

The tag: Gaddafi would cover all these legitimate variations.

2. The same sort of problems arises with honorifics. Consider the different ways the media reports on Barack Obama.
Is it the President?, the leader of the free world?, the commander-in-chief?, or the commander in chief (with no hyphens)?, or POTUS? All of these possibilities make a search more difficult and less accurate. A single tag nails it. 

I understand it would be too much work to add tags back to the archived notes you already have, but you might want to consider keeping the tags on notes you archive in the future. The drawback is that you will need to include the search term -tag:Arkiv more often, but your search results accuracy will increase.

This is just my opinion.

Your method might be fine for your use of Evernote.

I realize that remove tags sounds very dramatic!

Archive for me is like the brown cheap box you put in the basement or storage. If I need to find something faster or easier I don't move to my archive. I have most local. Most in the archive is merge logs. And first edition of notes. Before untag I put them in a temp notebook and export with tags. Just in case. And last year one have been retaged and moved back.

Everything I may need still have all tags. No matter age or subject.

I have all in or from my life in Evernote. So I have tags in various subject, all from financial documents (most invoice :( ),color to medicine and work related. In many levels.

Without my tags I can't find anything quick enough.

Yes, just one more level would do it. But I can definitely see that intelligent tagging would accomplishing something close to the same thing. The alternative is DevonThink, which I've tried unsuccessfully to make my peace with for quite a while now. It is just so hideously ugly that I can't stand to look at it.

Haha! Hideously ugly. I'm off to take a look at some screenshots out of curiosity.

Take a peek at two of my favorites for book writing: Gingko and WorkFlowy.

I use Windows so DevonThink isn't any options at all.

If you give Evernote and tags a try, start tag from the beginning. You can change name on a tag later if you're not sure about its name.

A tips is using shortcuts to tags you often need access to.

• 4 months later...

Yep. I mean, every response from evernote on this issue seems to be 'here's a better way to do it'. I'm no code writer, but I know it can't be that hard for them to allow a stack within a stack. It's frustrating to see responses from them always suggesting another way of doing it rather them just doing it. They sound a lot like Spotify in that respect. They know if you're already using it that you're most likely to just deal with it rather than leave for another app. 

• Level 5
17 minutes ago, Reedly Bottomtooth said:

Yep. I mean, every response from evernote on this issue seems to be 'here's a better way to do it'. I'm no code writer, but I know it can't be that hard for them to allow a stack within a stack.

Evernote is not responding on this issue.

These forum responses are coming from users, just like yourself.

Archived