Table width - % or pixels?

• Level 5*

For a table that I expect to grow in both columns and rows, but mostly in columns, which is a better choice - % or pixels?

Also, is the drag to resize feature available in the Windows desktop client? I'm not seeing the mouse pointer change shape when I hover over the border of a cell. I know this has been implemented in the Mac client; wondering if I'm missing something.

• Level 5*

I use table width fixed in pixels, mainly so that the columns don't resize all over the place when I change views.  I've used ENML to make small tweaks to the EN code to enable this.  If you want to change the column or table width, you can drag in Windows. 

EN seems to create all tables as % width, from what I can tell.  Also, in the recent release I adjust the padding px to get rid of all the "air" in the default table.

• Level 5*

What I have found to work very well is use MS Word to create a table, and set the table properties there to "auto-fit content".

Then copy/paste this table into Evernote.

This will auto expand/contract the columns to fit the data you put into it, and will also auto resize as you resize the EN window.

• Level 5*

What I have found to work very well is use MS Word to create a table, and set the table properties there to "auto-fit content".

Then copy/paste this table into Evernote.

This will auto expand/contract the columns to fit the data you put into it, and will also auto resize as you resize the EN window.

Strange. When I copy/paste table from Word (created with "auto-fit content") into EN, and start typing in EN, the text is entered vertically. I.e., instead of "test" being written horizontally in a cell, it is written vertically:

t

e

s

t

And the cell expands to fit the word.

• Level 5*

That is very strange.  I have not seen it.

But I have noticed that Evernote has broke table formatting/layout in several of their updates, both in Windows and Mac.

If you continue to see the same behavior, I would report it as a bug.

You might try putting some text in each column in Word before you do the copy/paste.

Or even better, if you have the data now to fill the table, built it with the data in Word, then copy/paste to EN.

Then maintenance in EN might go smoother.

Good luck.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

• Level 5*

I think the ENML mods referenced above can be a workaround.  Not pretty...  :(

I've actually edited all my templates so as to not have deal with the dynamic column width changing.

Archived