Discovered Scrivener

You know, I just have to say one thing, I remember suggesting specific features on this forum. And it wasn't received well. I think i asked for a mini version of evernote that would be similar to OS X sticky ( light and flexible )... sometimes u don't want the chrome around the window and need it as light as a os x sticky is. Someone said that its a totally different program and that it wouldnt make sense.....as if a chat program and powerpoint program, items that are in evernote, are not separate programs...

I also remember someone else asked for the ability to click on a group, that when clicked either a notebook stack or tag stack and have the list show you all of the notes in there to me that was a simple request that represented low hanging fruit. 

Its funny that now i just happened to find an app scrivener that does the above and more for example the ability to split its screen a note into two screens to cross reference - its one of the most awesome features i could ever dreamed for... 

I also was hoping that evernote had a way to do kanban and sure they had some work arounds...and even tho u cant do it to the tee  again Scrivener comes through with a way to at least have a visual representation of its notes as cards u can kind of move around. Im impressed.

This way you satisfy list makers and visual thinkers.. too me that is easy to decide...

Im not sure if scrivener listened to their customers or not but they are some useful features that i think evernote users may want to check out.

Also, and now i see the ceo is stepping down because he lost interest in the product.

Wonder what new direction Evernote will go in.

• Level 5*

scrivener is a great app, but it's a tool for writers, and really isn't in the same category as evernote. most importantly, it isn't a cloud service, though it is compatible with dropbox and other cloud service providers. i'd love to see some of its features in evernote, but i don't get the sense that evernote is interested in looking for inspiration from other apps.

the ceo stepped down voluntarily because he lacked the ability to take the company to the next level (ipo), and he is still sticking around in a different capacity. whether you believ the official reason or not, i don't see any indication that he's lost interest in evernote.

FWIW, I use both Scrivener and Evernote for longform authorship--they're both designed differently, and serve different functions with regard to authorship. Evernote is a lightweight (relative to Scrivener) research and development tool that I use for outlining and throwing down plot ideas. I use it for planning where my story is headed, or writing out an idea while on the go. Scrivener is where I actually write, where I get it all down and compile what will eventually be the end product. The way I see it they are both complimentary tools that lend themselves to longform authorship in different ways. I love both, but I find it hard to imagine some of Scrivener's utilities being fully implemented into Evernote. 

As for the "lost interest" Phil Libin quote that's been making the rounds--that's a quote that's taken largely out of context and is being used to promote clicks about our CEO change. The articles themselves are worth a read, however. 

scrivener is a great app, but it's a tool for writers, and really isn't in the same category as evernote. most importantly, it isn't a cloud service, though it is compatible with dropbox and other cloud service providers. i'd love to see some of its features in evernote, but i don't get the sense that evernote is interested in looking for inspiration from other apps.

the ceo stepped down voluntarily because he lacked the ability to take the company to the next level (ipo), and he is still sticking around in a different capacity. whether you believ the official reason or not, i don't see any indication that he's lost interest in evernote.

This was the first article i saw in my google search results

The CEO of $1 billion Evernote is stepping down because he wasn't 'passionate about it'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/evernote-ceo-phil-libin-steps-down-2015-7#ixzz3gZ7X2rKH

http://www.businessinsider.com/evernote-ceo-phil-libin-steps-down-2015-7

FWIW, I use both Scrivener and Evernote for longform authorship--they're both designed differently, and serve different functions with regard to authorship. Evernote is a lightweight (relative to Scrivener) research and development tool that I use for outlining and throwing down plot ideas. I use it for planning where my story is headed, or writing out an idea while on the go. Scrivener is where I actually write, where I get it all down and compile what will eventually be the end product. The way I see it they are both complimentary tools that lend themselves to longform authorship in different ways. I love both, but I find it hard to imagine some of Scrivener's utilities being fully implemented into Evernote. 

As for the "lost interest" Phil Libin quote that's been making the rounds--that's a quote that's taken largely out of context and is being used to promote clicks about our CEO change. The articles themselves are worth a read, however. 

oh ok its been taken out of context, understood

Gbarry though u gotta admit, that the two things i mentioned would be SUPER D Duper useful.. clicking on a group tag and seeing all notes in the tags that are in the group...and split screen two different notes. this post is not so much about scrivener as it is about people who suggest features that are what i like to consider easy hanging fruit and to my surprise just by randomly searching it was implemented elsewhere u know..  its just a crazy coincidence...

Despite Evernote current success I just see a lot of opportunity and potential for evernote to really be powerful, without the amount of programming man hours you would think... just my two cents

@alwayzambitious,

Did you ever get around to writing the code for a lightweight Evernote app like you mentioned some time back?

There are all kinds of apps out there that can do whatever one can conceive... But none of them do everything. Comparing Scrivener and Evernote is like saying that you've just discovered chick flicks... and they offered a depth that SciFi couldn't.

• Level 5*

i see now about phil. as i recall, he wasn't passionate about the role he had fallen into and wanted to get back to the products. as for scrivener, i'd love to see that kind of functionality in evernote, and maybe it could be done, but my sense is that evernote is interested in paring down functionality to focus on the "important" bits rather than adding features i to it, especially across multiple platforms. scrivener's promised ipad app hasn't materialized yet, and i guess it has something to do with making it all work together properly. they don't even have the cloud to deal with. i'd say even minor things at evernote are major when you think of developing, supporting, and maintaining them across every major platform.

@alwayzambitious,

Did you ever get around to writing the code for a lightweight Evernote app like you mentioned some time back?

No, I did not. It didnt make sense to start from scratch when something like evernote existed, it just made more sense to push for the additional features, but i stopped pushing because folks didnt want to hear it.

GrumpyMonkey if they were interested in pairing down then id think adding in presentation and a chat dont come to my mind..maybe to you. That, frank dg is doing everything ...Grumpy You are right to call out Scriveners promised ipad app but i dont use evernote on the ipad ... and if we are to compare whats better having an ipad app than have a desktop app that does little but great things, i am in the minority that prefer the latter. 

I dont care if scrivener looks like its from the 2000s, i used to tho, but now after being around apps that look great but focus less on functionality, core functionality my thinking has changed.

Mind you in case anyone has noticed all of the items i suggested are core to its essential function of notewriting..and i know the difference between scrivener and evernote, but the usefulness of *only* the 3 features scrivener has that i mentioned, scroll up if u missed them... no doubt...... would be super useful in evernote. Im not sure the sci fi/chick flick analogy applies here.

Thanks for responding.

Im not sure the sci fi/chick flick analogy applies here..

I vehemently disagree :P... It most certainly does. We have different genres, because it would neither be practical nor desirable to have a SciFi-Comedy-Horror-Romantic-Rock-Musical-Adventure-Fantasy-Anime-Action movie all rolled into one. Why don't we pester Scrivener for the likes of OCR and email-to capabilities instead?

That's precisely what makes Scrivener Scrivener... what makes WorkFlowy WorkFlowy... what Makes Dropbox Dropbox... they specialize and excel at different things. You can't have your cake and eat it. Try and consolidate the full essence of WorkFlowy and Evernote, for instance. You would detract from one or the other in the process. 

Stick with any app for long enough - Scrivener included - and you're going to find lots of room for improvement.

I am not opposed to you disagreeing, I just I dont think you see what I am saying so I will try to be clear. Im going to be careful and start where we agree and go to where we may not agree. then tell me what u think... This is the point ive been ive been trying to make when i say low hanging fruit. 

We have different genres, because it would neither be practical nor desirable to have a SciFi-Comedy-Horror-Romantic-Rock-Musical-Adventure-Fantasy-Anime-Action movie all rolled into one. 

That true however Im not talking about doing that.

That's precisely what makes Scrivener Scrivener... what makes WorkFlowy WorkFlowy... what Makes Dropbox Dropbox... they specialize and excel at different things. You can't have your cake and eat it. Try and consolidate the full essence of WorkFlowy and Evernote, for instance. You would detract from one or the other in the process. 

Again you speak nothing but the truth.

Why don't we pester Scrivener for the likes of OCR and email-to capabilities instead?

I agree, that would go against the principle I am am against, trying to fit all in one. However the changes Ive suggested before and in this thread are not that.

OCR is a technology probably requiring a new set of apis, etc.

1) Frank.dg, the ability to see all notes from clicking on a notebook, or just having a split screen to show two notes at one time is not a drastic change feature. Its not easy but

if you are saying u cant see the usefulness of seeing two notes side by side.. or seeing all notes from subtags withing another tag ..

then id be surprised but id respect your disagreement.

2, Then I would ask how come you nor no one else to my knowledge can see that when Evernote adds Work Chat ( gchat, etc) and the ability to present ( Keynote Powerpoint)

How come no one sees the argument of focusing that that that is totally confusing to me lol.

There is a few different philosophies out there that say focus on your core strengths.businesses or what have you. To me the items i suggest enhance the experience to create notes without presenting a new disruptive feature for lack of a better word. I wont ever say the features I added are easy, but I can say, that they are much easier than spending energy on chatting and presenting.

Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

It most certainly does. We have different genres, because it would neither be practical nor desirable to have a SciFi-Comedy-Horror-Romantic-Rock-Musical-Adventure-Fantasy-Anime-Action movie all rolled into one. Why don't we pester Scrivener for the likes of OCR and email-to capabilities instead?

Avatar almost fits the bill.  :P

• Level 5*
Why don't we pester Scrivener for the likes of OCR and email-to capabilities instead?

OCR is a technology probably requiring a new set of apis, etc.

1) Frank.dg, the ability to see all notes from clicking on a notebook, or just having a split screen to show two notes at one time is not a drastic change feature. Its not easy but

if you are saying u cant see the usefulness of seeing two notes side by side.. or seeing all notes from subtags withing another tag ..

then id be surprised but id respect your disagreement.

2, Then I would ask how come you nor no one else to my knowledge can see that when Evernote adds Work Chat ( gchat, etc) and the ability to present ( Keynote Powerpoint)

How come no one sees the argument of focusing that that that is totally confusing to me lol.

There is a few different philosophies out there that say focus on your core strengths.businesses or what have you. To me the items i suggest enhance the experience to create notes without presenting a new disruptive feature for lack of a better word. I wont ever say the features I added are easy, but I can say, that they are much easier than spending energy on chatting and presenting.

Hope this helps.

1.  I think the split screen could be helpful depending on how deployed.  The current solution of opening a note in a new window works fairly well for me.  From what I've seen of others tag structures there could be some benefit.in the parent/child tag search.  But since I don't use parent tags with any kind of inheritance not much use for me.  Usefulness for others perhaps but not for me.

2.  A quick search on this forum will produce quite a few posts, maybe even many, questioning the value of chat and presentation.  You are not the lone soldier questioning the value of those enhancements, or some of the other business oriented "collaborative" tweaks for that matter.  These threads also recommend fixing the core errors and reliability before adding too much function.  Priorities can be a b****.

Archived