Desktop: Missing (out-of-sync) Data

First of all, thanks so much to everyone who has taken a moment to look at this post! 

I have been an Evernote user for 5 years and have always used the Desktop client. A few weeks ago I was preparing for a clean install. I compared the note and tag counts between my Desktop app and the Web app, and I found that they were inconsistent. I located two notes on the Web app that were in the wrong folder and were missing content. Both notes were created 6 months ago on the Mac Desktop app in the following order:

- new notes created in 'Inbox' folder

- content added to notes (including attachments)

- note title changed

- tags added to notes

- notes moved to 'Processed' folder

The Web app had both notes in the original 'Inbox' folder, with the original title, without the project tags, and one note was missing attachments. My desktop app stays open nearly 24/7 and is set for 5 minute automatic updates. I have over 3000 notes and most of them are embedded with multiple attachments. My concern is that I might have lost data from other projects. Is there any way we can monitor local database changes? For instance, comparing a Time Machine backup with the current local database using a program like DeltaWalker. 

The Mac Desktop version I am using is 5.6.2 (direct). I have tested the latest version of 7.0.16 (direct) on another machine, but the typing delay makes it unusable. 

I am a premium user and I have raised a ticket with Evernote Support. I don't mean this as a criticism (I really do appreciate their help), but they take over a week to reply and all of their responses seem to be boilerplate. 

Thanks for all of your help! 

• Level 5*

I'm sorry to hear about your sync issues.  I know, and agree, that data integrity has to be #1.

Since you are a Premium account owner, you can use EN Support Chat (see below) to get an immediate response from Evernote.

You might start there to get an update on your ticket.

I don't know if using an older version like 5.6.2 is part of the issue or not, but Evernote has made many, many changes since then.  The current version is 6.0.16.  I'm still running Ver 6.0.11 on my main Mac running Mavericks (10.9.5), and it works very well -- no delays or slowdowns.  I'm also running 6.0.15 on another Mac with Mavericks, and no performance issues there either.  So you might consider an update, or a clean install to Ver 6.0.11 if you don't like 6.0.16.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac for links to prior versions.  However, if you think that the Notes stored in EN Mac on your machine are different from EN Web, I would NOT remove EN Mac until it is fully sync'd with EN Cloud and shows the same on EN Web.

You say that "My desktop app stays open nearly 24/7".  I'd recommend that you restart Evernote at least once a day.  And restart your Mac once a day if possible.  IMO, there is just too much opportunity for apps and memory to get "clogged up" (that's a technical IT term  ;) ), and I have found over the years that it solves and prevents many issues.

You might see if the lack of proper sync issue is repeatable/reproducible by following the same steps as you outlined above, but with different Notebooks and different Notes.

You might also check your Evernote Activity Log to see if there are any sync failures or issues.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

I happen to have stumbled upon the exact same issue today, using Evernote Mac. Three notes that I moved from my "Inbox" notebook to another one show up as still being in "Inbox" on Evernote iOS and Web. Worse, they are nowhere to be found on Evernote Mac. I also noticed that the total note count was short by three on my Mac. I could make these notes reappear on my Mac by changing the note title on the web, but of course this issue should never have happened in the first place.

I have also contacted Evernote support.

Archived