Solution to not having white background for notes

Go to solution Solved by ashetty,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working fine on 5.9.1.8472 Public as well.

Note: if you have trouble applying the patch, do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager and close all Evernote processes, which might include Evernote.exe, EvernoteClipper.exe, and EvernoteTray.exe, then try the patch again.

Rob

Hi, Helix.  Norton must be recognizing the fact that Swiss File Knife has the ability to alter the binary code of other programs -- which, of course, is precisely its purpose, and something it only does under the user's specific directions, but that is also the key characteristic of some kinds of malware.  So, it's a false positive in Norton.  You can get the source code for Swiss File Knife here, and examine and compile it yourself; it's perfectly safe:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/swissfileknife/files/1-swissfileknife/1.7.5/

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Arthur8, it's working fine for me.  The patch works just fine with all versions, right up through 5.6.9494 Public (current as of right now).

In addition to fully exiting the Evernote desktop application, you also have to termiante the Evernote clipper if it's running before applying the patch.  You can do that by issuing Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager, clicking on the "Processes" tab, selecting EvernoteClipper.exe, and clicking on "End Process," and confirming by clicking "End Process" again in the dialog box.

When looking at a regular Evernote note, you should have a gray background after applying my patch and a darker gray workspace background.  Don't you?

Some complex notes, or captured web pages, may have their own backround colors set; my patch doesn't override or defeat those color settings, but any new note, or old note that doesn't specify a different background color in its coding, should display with a gray background.

Rob

Yeah it works, thanks. :)

My crappy old screen just don't show any difference between white and light gray... But i dit edit the value in the bat file and I can see the difference now

That's really great, and don't seems to complicate to implement... Evernote, if you hear us...

• 1 month later...

Rob,

All I get is the text below from the .txt file when I open it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>DC569A8F97654907</RequestId><HostId>FZOVyMgWFIBPqXENX/Fx2dZwFo5J0wtHkP/mx9Poqoz2ZSApY6UBHvHgBmmrL/iKN2Pe2eOpdrA=</HostId></Error>

Is the link still good?

Thanks,

Travis

EN-color.txt

Hi, Travis (wintech).  My original EN-color.txt file must have been damaged or deleted when Evernote updated their forum software here recently.

I've reattached the file to the top message in this thread, and am attaching it again to this message, as well.  It should work now.  (Don't forget to rename it to *.bat and to edit the paths for SFK inside the file.)

EN-color.txt

Robert,

Thank you for replying and updating the links. The changes your script made have much improved the UI experience for me. I would like to make the background completely black with a red font to match my high contrast theme and this has brought me a lot closer in my search. Thank you for all your help.

Now looking for where the font color is defined! :)

Travis

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is all I've been able to find time to fix, Juan.  In theory, similar patches could be made for other elements, but in practice it's a lot of trial and error. :)

But I will report that my patch still works 6.1.1.2201 beta released this week. :)

:wub:

Thank you! Dear God, Thank you!

I have tried messing with this for YEARS, and I've tried every possible solution, but nothing worked.  Why won't the developers help us out with this if it's so simple????

Note: I am using Evrenote portable (v5.9.1.8742).  I simply made sure the script was pointing to the path of my Evernote.exe and not EvernotePortable.exe.  I also made sure the right drive was selected in the script instead of "C:".   Now my notes are changed on ALL computers!

Note: I also needed to make sure SwissArmyKnife was renamed to sfk.exe and placed in the path matching the script (C:\sysutil\sfk.exe). (Alternately you can change the script path to simply "sfk.exe" with no path, and then copy sfk.exe into the same folder as Evernote.exe.

You're my hero!!!!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2016 at 2:03 AM, gggirlgeek said:

:wub:

Thank you! Dear God, Thank you!

I have tried messing with this for YEARS, and I've tried every possible solution, but nothing worked.  Why won't the developers help us out with this if it's so simple????

Because they're too busy not fixing bugs and rolling out useless junk like Work Chat. 

• Like 2

@RobertJSawyer Thanks, this solution works decently enough to ease the sting of shades of white evernote is forcing on use : / 

(I'm on version 6.1.2.2292 public, FYI). 

/Begin Rant/ I really wish the people in charge of the developers would listen to reason though.  WHY are they forcing users into this UGLY interface? I'm certain that given the choice, nobody would choose the new "design" over the original, more colorful design. Microsoft is doing the same with their stupid color schemes in office 2013+. What's wrong with all these people making design decisions? And why haven't they all been fired? /End Rant/

• Like 1
On 6/2/2016 at 7:42 PM, akaHomerJay said:

@RobertJSawyer Thanks, this solution works decently enough to ease the sting of shades of white evernote is forcing on use : / 

(I'm on version 6.1.2.2292 public, FYI). 

/Begin Rant/ I really wish the people in charge of the developers would listen to reason though.  WHY are they forcing users into this UGLY interface? I'm certain that given the choice, nobody would choose the new "design" over the original, more colorful design. Microsoft is doing the same with their stupid color schemes in office 2013+. What's wrong with all these people making design decisions? And why haven't they all been fired? /End Rant/

Intriguingly, the same woman that was responsible for the MS Office 2010 "Ribbon" fiasco was also the one who arbitrarily decided that Windows 8 didn't need a Start menu. She has since been relegated to "Chief Design Officer," a position with no actual authority or oversight.

It seems that almost all companies have a problem understanding that users are not interested in having our workflow disrupted. We don't want layout changes. We don't want menus to move. We don't want "more efficiency." We're already using the product because it makes us efficient! If it didn't, we'd find another product. 

It seems common sense to me that if you're going to change the design of a product to such a degree that it alters the user's workflow, what you're essentially doing is asking the user to learn a new product. As a user, if you're going to force me to learn a new product, why are you assuming that it will be YOUR product and not an entirely different one?!

For example, for years I used a particular video editing software. When they changed from a linear, storyboard, format to a non-linear pageview format, I simply stopped using them and bought another software. (They were demanding users pay for this upgrade, anyway.) 

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2015 at 11:09 AM, RobertJSawyer said:

NOTE: April 2016:  This technique also works fine with the new Evernote for Windows 6.0 client.

I find the glaring-white background of the Windows Evernote client impossible to use for extended periods.

I solved the problem for the Web version by writing a custom style sheet, which you can get here:

https://userstyles.org/styles/110978/evernote-with-less-eyestrain

But I really needed a solution for the Windows client, the entreaties of many users for a dark/nighttime theme having fallen on deaf ears at Evernote for years now:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-please-dark-theme/

And so I went spelunking and found where Evernote.exe actually codes for the white background in the display of notes.  This doesn't affect the actual content of the note (if you export it, the .enex file is identical to what it would have been before you made this change), or how other people see your notes (they'll still see them with a white background).  It only affects the display of notes on your own computer.

However, this ONLY changes the display IF you have the following checked in your Windows Evernote client:

Tools | Options | General | Enable beta features and updates

The attached batch file will automate the entire process of making the change, but you'll need Stahlwork's free Swiss File Knife to run the file, or, if you're savvy with a hex editor, just read the comments in the batch file to make the changes by hand:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/swissfileknife/files/

I've attached the batch file as EN-color.txt, but you'll need to rename it to EN-color.bat before running it (the forum software here doesn't allow uploading with files with the extension. bat).  Look over its contents with any text-file viewer so you can see precisely what it's going to do.

You'll have to re-run this batch file each time you install an Evernote update (which is why I automated the process), but it only takes a second to run.

The net result will be as in the photo attached:  a light-gray background for notes against a darker gray workspace (you can adjust the colors to other values by editing the batch file, if you wish).

I've tested this on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit.

Before running it, you will need to edit the batch file to have the proper pathing for your files.

And you need to quit Evernote before applying the patch (exit the Evernote program, then right-click on the Evernote tray icon and select "Quit Evernote").

Note: if you have trouble applying the patch (you get error messages when the batch file runs), do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager and close all Evernote processes, which might include Evernote.exe, EvernoteClipper.exe, and EvernoteTray.exe, then try the patch again.

All best wishes!

Rob

EN-color.txt

Evernote note gray background.png

Hello Rob!  I hope you are still getting replies to this thread. I have used this process for at least a year I would guess. I do it each time Evernote upgrades. Yesterday, however, I could not get it to work. When I download the sfk file and run it from the command prompt, it's just a long set of help commands. Can you suggest what might be going wrong?  I do faithfully run the .bat file after that but it does not change the color scheme.  All Evernote processes have been ended before doing this.

Thank you!

Helix Fairweather

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, helix137 said:

I have used this process for at least a year I would guess. I do it each time Evernote upgrades. Yesterday, however, I could not get it to work. When I download the sfk file and run it from the command prompt, it's just a long set of help commands. Can you suggest what might be going wrong?  I do faithfully run the .bat file after that but it does not change the color scheme.  All Evernote processes have been ended before doing this.

If it helps, I apply a background colour to my notes by using a table.

It could be just a 1/1 table, but it allows me to apply colour choices.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 8.28.23 AM.png

Just now, DTLow said:

If it helps, I apply a background colour to my notes by using a table.

It could be just a 1/1 table, but it allows me to apply colour choices.

We can't do that with a PC unless we go into the ENML code and, at that, it's easy to mess up when using the note.

Helix

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, helix137 said:

We can't do that with a PC unless we go into the ENML code and, at that, it's easy to mess up when using the note.

How about if you import this, and use it as a template
Let me know if you want other colours

Yellow1x1.enex

I have templates set up because on my tablet,  tables/colours can be used, but can't be created

Thanks for replying, Robert!  I tried using a hex editor to make the changes in the .exe file. Granted, I have never used a hex editor before but searching the file, I could find no  eef1f2.  My thinking was that they changed the color in the .exe file which would cause the bat file not to work.

I went back to an older version of Evernote and the bat file worked just fine. So that tells me I'm doing it all correctly, just cannot get it to work on the 6.2 release. The paths are all correct.

I guess all I can do is stay with the older version until another new version comes out and try that one.

Any other ideas for me?

Helix Fairweather

45 minutes ago, helix137 said:

Thanks for replying, Robert!  I tried using a hex editor to make the changes in the .exe file. Granted, I have never used a hex editor before but searching the file, I could find no  eef1f2.  My thinking was that they changed the color in the .exe file which would cause the bat file not to work.

If you can't find EE F1 F2 in the EVERNOTE.EXE file, you are indeed misusing your hex editor.  The string occurs multiple times in every Windows release of Evernote for Windows. including the latest prerelease; I just checked with a hex editor and it's still there.  My batch file is working fine, so either your SFK installation is corrupt, or you've got some part of Evernote still running when you run the batch file, preventing it from making the changes to Evernote.exe.

Thanks, Robert. I think everything is operating OK since skf and the bat file worked fine in an older version of Evernote.  I'll try the hex editor thing with a newer version of Evernote. I was searching in both the hex code and in the text using "background-color: #eef1f2". I'll try a different hex editor too and see if I can unravel it some more.

Helix

8 minutes ago, helix137 said:

Thanks, Robert. I think everything is operating OK since skf and the bat file worked fine in an older version of Evernote.  I'll try the hex editor thing with a newer version of Evernote. I was searching in both the hex code and in the text using "background-color: #eef1f2". I'll try a different hex editor too and see if I can unravel it some more.

Helix

Search ONLY for the hex bytes EE F1 F2 -- just those six characters -- in HEX, not text mode.  And make sure you've closed Evernote and any memory-resident web clipper for Evernote, via the task manager, which you access with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

On 19/07/2016 at 4:19 PM, Jose de la Mancha said:

Does anybody know how to make this patch work on Evernote for Android ?

Right now I can have clear text on dark background on my PC, but it becomes pretty unreadable on my mobile (clear text on white background).

Thanks.

Sooo, any ideas, please ? :rolleyes:

I'd love to be able to actually read my notes on my Android phone. Hopefully I'm not the only one here to use Evernote on his mobile ?... :huh:

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Jose de la Mancha said:

ey, sorry to insist, but I could really use some replies here..

Unless something has changed since this post there doesn't appear to be an Android dark theme.  You can vote up the request below to show your interest.

• Like 1
On 7/26/2016 at 1:15 PM, helix137 said:

OK, will do!  Nothing memory resident was running.

Helix

Installed the lastest version 6.2.2 and ran your batch file with SFK. This time it worked to change the background color of the note but did not change the  EE F1 F2 color. I then did a Find-Replace in the hex editor and that found 7 occurrences that were changed but nothing visually changed in the back ground color in Evernote. So I was able to get 1/2 of it to work.

Helix

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2015 at 1:00 PM, Arthur8 said:

Guys is there a way to change the color in the menu option and the top bar to match the dark theme that Rob posted. I assume that it will be more pleasing to the eyes to see the same color in the side bar where the notes lays and the top bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/19/2016 at 10:19 AM, Jose de la Mancha said:

Does anybody know how to make this patch work on Evernote for Android ?

Right now I can have clear text on dark background on my PC, but it becomes pretty unreadable on my mobile.

Thanks.

Jose,  I'm assuming you're using the Windows Evernote Client,  did you change to 'clear text' using Roberts method?  if so what was the line you added to his script for that?

or

Did you just change the font color in your evernote docs?  From your issues in Android it seems you did it this way. if so how are you able to read your old evernote notes over a black background in your Windows Evernote Client.  I'm not able to change my font in Evernote globally to change my old notes fonts or actually even for new notes.  Only the current note.

Also, if you used another font color like green seems like you could still read it on your android.

p.s. Hats off to Robert for his work on this.  Great job!

• 1 month later...

As of Evernote for windows 6.6.1.5097 Prerelease, which came out on or about 21 May 2017, a new editor is used for the Evernote desktop client.  The technique described by me in the first message above NO LONGER WORKS WITH THIS NEW EDITOR.  All the more reason for Evernote itself to finally give us proper dark theme!

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

All the more reason for Evernote itself to finally give us proper dark theme!

The new release gives you options now for background colour

Request for Dark Theme is a different discussion

Sorry, DTLow, I know you're trying to help, but you're not on point here.  My patch gave all EXISTING notes -- many thousands for many of us -- a gray background WITHOUT HAVING TO MODIFY THE NOTE and without CHANGING THE NOTE'S OWN CODING (that is, it changed the VISUAL THEME for the display of the note).  It also made the workspace below and around a note something other than glaring white.  Both of those, in many other apps ARE things provided by having a dark theme, and ABSOLUTELY the second one is.  Before you tell the person who started a thread that he's off-topic, you might read the post that actually started the thread; it says:  "The net result will be as in the photo attached:  a light-gray background for notes against a darker gray workspace (you can adjust the colors to other values by editing the batch file, if you wish)." ;)

All best wishes.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

Before you tell the person who started a thread that he's off-topic

My intent was to notify users of

1. An alternative to Solution to not having white background for notes
  2. A feature request discussion for dark theme

I apologize for giving the impression I considered your post off topic

• 1 month later...

I'm the original poster in this thread.  I've spent a lot of time spelunking in the latest Evernote.exe for the source of the white background appearing behind notes that don't have a background color specified.  The background is indeed pure white, which is hex color #FFFFFF -- I've verified this using the excellent free tool Instant Eyedropper:  http://instant-eyedropper.com

However, none of the occurrences of #FFFFFF (or its decimal equivalent: 255, 255, 255) in recent copies of Evernote.com are responsible.  I've also tried searching on the word "white" or the phrase "solid white," but there are so many occurrences of those that it became impractical to find which one might be responsible (although none of the ones I checked were).  

I'm stumped, and have now started investigating Microsoft's OneNote (which comes with multiple display themes, and uses the default Windows window color for notes background).  I have my default window color (the workspace for windows in just about every program) set in Windows display options to the following, which gives a soothing pale green rather than blaring white; OneNote respects this, but Evernote, in defiance of Windows standards, does not:

Hue:    80
Sat:    69
Lum:   194

Red:   192
Green: 220
Blue:  192 

(which is #C0DCC0)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

However, none of the occurrences of #FFFFFF (or its decimal equivalent: 255, 255, 255) in recent copies of Evernote.com are responsible.

I think it is related to something(s) the new editor is doing behind the scenes.  I don't care for the default spacing in tables, so I have modified the padding value in notes in the past.  If I modify the padding in a note today there is no impact on the display of the note, even though the ENML clearly has a different padding value after I have edited the note.  It's like a standard is being applied independent of the actual ENML of the note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/16/2017 at 10:00 AM, RobertJSawyer said:

I've also tried searching on the word "white" or the phrase "solid white," but there are so many occurrences of those that it became impractical to find which one might be responsible (although none of the ones I checked were).  

It does seem likely that it's being turned from text into an RGB value at run-time, so the hex sequence 0xFFFFFF for that particular setting may not be found in the any of the executable's disk images. So it could be "255, 255, 255", "255,255,255", "0xFFFFFF", "0xFF,0xFF,0xFF", "0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF", "#FFFFFF", "#ffffff", etc., etc. in Evernote.exe, or possibly a separate DLL. The sequence "255, 255, 255", in ASCII, is certainly found numerous times in Evernote.exe, but my patience for spelunking this stuff is pretty low, particularly since I don't find pure white to be objectionable.

I've checked all occurrences of:

• FFFFFF
  • ffffff
  • "255, 255, 255"
  • 0xFF
  • background-color: #ff

throughout Evernote.exe; none of them are responsible for the note background colour.  There are other possible ways to code pure white, but I haven't had the time to check them all.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Thanks a lot Rob for finding this and sharing with the community!

With the new versions of Evernote as you mentioned they have changed the editor code - i was however determined to get this working and found the following:

There is a property embedded in the binary the defines default note:

en-note {
  min-height: 210px;
  outline: none;
  position: relative;
  overflow-wrap: break-word;
  -webkit-touch-callout: text; 
  -webkit-user-select: text;
  -khtml-user-select: text;
  -moz-user-select: text;
  -ms-user-select: text;
  user-select: text;
}

If we add the background-color here - it will reflect across all notes. However we should ensure the size of the file does not change - so to do that we must replace something else of similar size with our background-color attribute. I choose to replace "-webkit-touch-callout: text;"  with "background-color: #b2b1b3;   "  (notice two spaces at the end to keep the same size) since i primarily work on a non-touch Windows desktop client.

Here is my changed code

en-note {
  min-height: 210px;
  outline: none;
  position: relative;
  overflow-wrap: break-word;
  background-color: #b2b1b3;    
  -webkit-user-select: text;
  -khtml-user-select: text;
  -moz-user-select: text;
  -ms-user-select: text;
  user-select: text;
}

This can be done using ant hex editor or using the same sfk binary as discussed in the beginning of the post. You can use the following command with sfk binary:

sfk rep Evernote.exe -firsthit -text "/-webkit-touch-callout: text;/background-color: #b2b1b3;  /" -yes

Make sure to backup your Evernote.exe binary first!!!

Tested with Evernote 6.7.4.5741 (305741) build

Evernote seriously need to step up and provide this as an option - it is ridiculous we paying users have to go to such lengths to get this feature!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The code from RobertJSawyer works great.  Does anyone know how to apply it to normal text color?  The global font change settings seems to work only for font type and size, not color.

sfk rep Evernote.exe -firsthit -text "/-webkit-touch-callout: text;/background-color: #b2b1b3;  /" -yes
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for working on this.

I have applied the SFK hacks. However, the interface bars and vertical note list are still their original bright colors. Are these supposed to be affected? It is unclear from reading this thread.

Pic attached. Running 6.6.4.5512 (305512) on Windows 10 Anniversary.

For me the note background change, though welcome, decreases text readability too, which suggests the need for a method to change font colors.

ScreenClip [8].png

Hi all,

I tried using RobertJSawyer's instructions for the background, but it is just not working out.
Here is what I did and maybe you can tell me what am I missing:

Downloaded sfk188.exe and copied into a c:\tools
using cmd started c:\tools\sfk188.exe
set path done
copy/paste (with two changes, without the two changes it does absolutely nothing)

sfk188 rep Evernote -firsthit -text "/-webkit-touch-callout: text;/background-color: #b2b1b3;  /" -yes

after running this, it reported 5 errors and 1 warning: error: failed to read+write...
warning: empty file... 
and similar...

Any ideas?

THANKS!

image.png.a87b0fc5abec8ca7f3c0b8b93d78cc7f.png

You're not typing the command correctly; cut and paste it if you can.  You left the ".exe" off of Evernote.  Here's the correct command:

Also, make sure you've closed Evernote beforehand (not just minimized it, but actually closed it, so that it no longer has an icon in your system tray).

All best wishes.

Hi!

I tried with .exe originally and it never even connected to the Evernote (immediately reported missing file).
Without .exe it at least starts running, and reports errors. I guess that's because my Evernote.exe is called just Evernote.
Same goes for using sfk vs sfk188.

I also did it all while Evernote was fully closed (even additional background running, using Task Manager).

Btw, I am using Windows 10. Maybe that is causing some issues?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ivanka

Hi, Ivanka.

1) Your Evernote program is really called Evernote.exe, just like everyone else's.  It's true that Windows suppresses the file extension of what it calls "known file types" in its graphical user interface, but at the command line you MUST use the real file name.  And the patch works just fine on Windows 10.

2) YOU ARE NOT EXECUTING THE COMMAND FROM THE RIGHT FOLDER.  You have to first navigate from the command prompt to where your copy of Evernote.exe is located.  It's likely in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

or 

C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote

(That is, it's in the Evernote folder beneath ANOTHER folder ALSO named Evernote.)

You can find out for sure where your Evernote.exe is located by right-clicking on the Evernote icon, then selecting properties, then the "Shortcut" tab, and looking at the value in "Start in" field; that value is the folder that contains your Evernote.exe file.

To navigate to the correct folder, type these commands, one per line, followed by the Enter key, at the system prompt (which is where it says C:\Users\Ivanka):

CD \

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote"  (or whatever value you found in the "Start in" field above)

Note the quotation marks in the second command.

THEN issue the patch command line VERBATIM as presented here:

All best wishes!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, dconnet said:

On 32bit systems. On 64bit systems, the default is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote" (because we're still just a 32bit app)

Or if you don't know whether you have a 32 or 64-bit system, just right-click on the Evernote icon, and select Properties; the Target field will point you to the executable...

THANKS a lot!

However, still white background! As you can see below, "1 file checked, 0 changed"
And, that is confirmed by opening the application...

So, everything is okay, except it isn't implementing it? 

I even tried changing .css files within the Evernote, and it did nothing. It is a very stubborn program..

image.png.3402c04c7863d17da3dab4f81a338d64.png

I REALLY appreciate your help and time!! 

And am really desperate t make this work, considering how much my eyes burn (writing my thesis)...

THANKS again!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, IvankaMW said:

However, still white background! As you can see below, "1 file checked, 0 changed"

Probably means one of two things:

1. Evernote is running, and you cannot change the Evernote program bits on disk, while it's running. Shut down Evernote using File / Exit, then try again.
  2. If that doesn't work, then you may not have permission to change the Evernote executable file. That's a different problem altogether.
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @jefito.  Are you sure you have closed the Evernote app?  Not just closed the Evernote program window, but right-clicked on the little Evernote icon in the system tray, and selecting "Quit Evernote."

If that doesn't do the trick, then the question is whether you have administrator privileges (if it's your own home computer, you should).

We're getting close to having this solved!

• Thanks 1

Okay guys:  IT WORKS! 
And the problem was the stupidest thing (as always, right?):  damn main Evernote folder was "read only"!!
So when I changed that, it works beautifully! 

Now off to test the best shade of green (few shades darker than #c0dcc0).

THANKS A LOT!!

Hope you will have some great holidays!
All the best!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2016 at 9:32 AM, wintech said:

Robert,

Thank you for replying and updating the links. The changes your script made have much improved the UI experience for me. I would like to make the background completely black with a red font to match my high contrast theme and this has brought me a lot closer in my search. Thank you for all your help.

Now looking for where the font color is defined! :)

Travis

Robert, thanks for keeping this thread alive 

Travis, any luck in changing the font? I am using Windows with a black contrast theme. The background of the note list then becomes black and with the font black, it just does not work.

Thanks,Jonathan 

• 9 months later...

Excellent. Works for me on version 6.14.5.7671 (307671) Public. Thanks Robert!

You need to make sure the command prompt is run in elevated status (for Win7: Run > "cmd" > right click > "Run as administrator"), else you might get read/write errors.

Works for the background of the note itself, with a few hiccups. E.g. horizontal line, and code blocks have white background.

Next on my wish-list would be to get the note list and the note header panel to change background colours. Right now hit with a migraine (the reason I really NEED to abolish white backgrounds) but I'll investigate this more later.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2015 at 4:09 AM, RobertJSawyer said:

Before running it, you will need to edit the batch file to have the proper pathing for your files.

I don't understand what's required here...please help?  Can you provide an example...cheers

I can't get this to work.  After entering the last CMD command line, the patch command, I get an error saying:

'sfk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I spent quite a while studying this post/thread and everyone's advice.  Here are the bullet steps I put together from everything I've read here.

Create a folder:  C:\tools
 Move downloaded Swiss File Knife App - SFK193.exe to this new folder c:\tools (rename app to sfk.exe)
 Make sure my Windows User profile has administrator privileges
 Make sure EN Folder (where EN.exe lives) is NOT read only  (thanks @IvankaMW)
 Enable 'Beta features in EN' | Go EN Menu > Tools > Options > General
 Completely Close EN (clipper and app) check task manager
 Open CMD (Command Prompt Desktop app - defaults to user):   C:\Users\ricka>
 Type the following 4 commands, one per line, followed by the Enter key, at the CMD system prompt, which is where it says C:\Users\ricka:                        

c:\tools\sfk.exe
 CD \
 CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote"
 sfk rep Evernote.exe -firsthit -text "/-webkit-touch-callout: text;/background-color: #b2b1b3;  /" -yes

From your @noteworthy original post you also say to download and rename the batch file (EN-color.txt' to EN-color.bat) before running it, which I did download and rename, but I don't know how this factors in to the above process...how to use it???  I will also try the Hex editor (never done this before) approach using Ashetty' Help-Comments   (if indeed this is how to use his advice)

Looking forward to anyone's help here to help me with the missing pieces and to connect the dots

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 2:07 AM, RavBoy said:

I can't get this to work.  After entering the last CMD command line, the patch command, I get an error saying:

'sfk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

On your step 8, you don't need the first line ( just remove c:\tools\sfk.exe)

On your very last line, just replace sfk with c:\tools\sfk.exe.

Make sure your Command Prompt has administrative privileges, otherwise the process will fail.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing, I tried this and it works, but the background color is too dark to see links, and just a tad on the dark side for black font.

There are two commands in the EN-COLOR file, the first one seems to have no effect, so perhaps only the second one is needed?

In attempting to try other colors, there are no changes past the first attempt, had to reinstall Evernote to reset changes, each time past the first.

Hi, @Don Dz .  When playing around with this solution, just make a backup of Evernote.exe -- that one file -- before trying different colors.  Then, rather than reinstalling the whole Evernote program, you can just copy the backup Evernote.exe back into the Evernote program folder.

My own version of a batch file to automate that is as follow; you can just put these lines at the beginning of the batch file that modifies the program:

C:
CD \
CD \Progra~1\Evernote\Evernote

REM This command makes a backup copy of Evernote.exe, just in case:

copy Evernote.exe Evernote.ok

As for trying different colors, just put "hex color picker" into Google, and a large number of easy-to-use online tools will be offered, each of which will give you the appropriate numerical value for the color you choose.  :)

As for the two sfk rep lines in the batch file, you're right that only one of them is needed, but WHICH one depends on which version of Evernote for windows you have installed.  The first line works with versions before 6.16.2, and the second one works with 6.16.2 and later versions.  The unneeded line doesn't do anything, as you've seen, in the versions it's not appropriate for, but having both lines in the batch file lets one file work for all Windows users. :) 

All best wishes!

• Thanks 1

Although I enabled the Beta features in EN, I get a side by side configuration error after applying the above patch. How can I work around this?

I'm using 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897)

Thanks

On 12/4/2018 at 3:04 AM, RobertJSawyer said:

Hi, eric99.  Whether or not you have Beta features enabled should make no difference; the patch will work with that feature either on or off.  I'm not familiar with the phrase "side by side configuration error."  What exactly is going wrong?

EN refuses to start, it returns the "side by side configuration error." I assume that EN (or the underlying infrastructure) detects that the Evernote.exe has been tampered with and it refuses to start.

This is the exact message that pops up when attempting to start EN:

"The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. "

I've never seen anything like that.  My guess is that it's some sort of virus checker that is noting (quite rightly) that the binary code of the Evernote.exe file has been changed from some previously scanned version.  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit; could that be a Windows 10 thing?  Are you using a third-party virus scanner?  If so, there may be a way to tell it to allow Evernote.exe to run as an exception to its normal rules.

21 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

I've never seen anything like that.  My guess is that it's some sort of virus checker that is noting (quite rightly) that the binary code of the Evernote.exe file has been changed from some previously scanned version.  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit; could that be a Windows 10 thing?  Are you using a third-party virus scanner?  If so, there may be a way to tell it to allow Evernote.exe to run as an exception to its normal rules.

I'm sorry, I've pinpointed the problem: for some reason I lost a space in the substitution string (something went wrong with copy paste, I don't know).

This is the correct command I use for a light-green background:

c:\tools\sfk193.exe rep Evernote.exe -firsthit -text "/-webkit-touch-callout:text;/background-color:#f0faf0;  /" -yes

For light-blue, take #f0f8fa   

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, everyone. I'm the original poster in this thread. I've figured out how to change the background color for the note list (the pane where you see snippet view, card view, or thumbnail view) in addition to changing the background color of notes (as displayed on screen; no change is made to your actual notes). As before, you'll need the free utility Swiss File Knife to make the required patches to Evernote.exe; you can get it here:

http://stahlworks.com/dev/swiss-file-knife.html

I've also added extensive commentary to the batch file that makes the patches, so open it up in a text editor first and read it through before your run it.

If for some reasons things go bad (they shouldn't!), a backup copy of your Evernote.exe file is automatically created named Evernote.ok, and if you want to start over from scratch, just reinstall Evernote from here https://evernote.com/download

You can't attach a batch file to a message in this forum, so I'm providing the batch file with the extension .txt instead of .bat.  Rename it to EN-color.bat before running it.

I'd be grateful if a few experienced users would test this out to see if I've screwed up in anyway; once it passes muster here, I'll edit the first message in the thread and also put this new version there.

Thank you!

EN-color.txt

Update as of Thursday. I'm trying your batch process. It's finding the parts and changing them but I'm not seeing colour changes in the app. I'm probably doing something stoopid. I've done this before, a few times, successfully. In fact, I took the colours from an older copy of my BAT file. I'll keep trying...

Blake

I'm very confused. I know this is not strictly a colour/appearance issue but I can't seem to figure out what's up with my Evernote software. Windows 10, 32-bit. I regularly work in the "client application" and all seems business as usual. When starting my computer, I click the pinned icon button in taskbar and the application starts. If I check the version of this, it reports 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62-6-10954). And the colour changes I have been trying are not working here. That was throwing me.

I was modified my EVERNOTE.EXE file in the default location and SFK was giving good feedback but I wasn't seeing the changes. On a whim, I launched EVERNOTE.EXE from the default application folder and discovered the version it reports is 6.19.1.8538 (308538) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.3-7750). And the colour changes by the EN-COLOR.BAT are working. I used some crazy colours to verify it.

So I thought, oh, seems I have two application folders and the pinned button on the taskbar is launching a different one. So I conducted system-wide search and I only find one, a single instance of EVERNOTE.EXE.

Then I start digging into the "source" of the app icon in the taskbar. In the old days of Windows, they were shortcuts so you'd simply follow the breadcrumbs to the original application folder to find the program. I guess I haven't been paying attention because taskbar icons are a different beast.

That got me thinking that there's something going on with a Win 10 "app" vs a full Windows "application." I dove into the control panel settings, Apps & Features, found Evernote. The version is noted as 6.25.9091.0. That just doesn't seem to make any sense. Am I running an "app" or the "application?" I though those Win10 apps were scaled down, with a dramatically different interface, mimicking a phone.

I just looked at the list of apps in the Settings. I see Evernote, installed 3/7/2020, no version, no size, square white background; and Evernote v. 6.19.1 at 313 MB from 24/6/2019, square grey background. It DOES look like I have two "products" installed... Weird. 

Anyway, my simple question right now is, where the heck is the 6.25.1.9091 software? 

blake

On 9/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, RobertJSawyer said:

I've figured out how to change the background color for the note list (the pane where you see snippet view, card view, or thumbnail view) in addition to changing the background color of notes (as displayed on screen; no change is made to your actual notes)

Hey @RobertJSawyer your new post motivated me to take another stab at this some 2 years on from my last failed attempt to get it to work.

Here's the Process I followed:

EN-DMode-Process.jpg

But Nada...it just said said '1 files checked, 0 changed' see screen-shot:

EN-DMode-Patch-NotWorking.jpg

I diligently checked and double checked each step in the process...so any thoughts on what I'm missing would be greatly appreciated...cheers

*EDIT 1-  I read yours and @jefito answer to this issue from another user and can confirm all advice given then was followed.  Do I need to run the sfk.exe file on my computer first or something?

*EDIT 2-  My Win-10 User account is def an Administrator account, but I notice that when I change/edit both Evernote Folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote ....to remove the 'Read Only' status, it always reverts to showing it as checked, or having a black dot in the check box as opposed to a tick!?  Baffled as to why it wont change, or stay blank?

EN-Folder-ReadOnly-NotChanging.jpg

*EDIT 3- So I've learned that the Attribute checkbox (as shown in image above) has 3 possible settings:  1 Blank  2 Tick/Check Mark  3- Black Square - meaning 'something' in the folder is designated as Read Only.  Plus Windows ignores the read-only attribute for folders!! It has no effect. Changing it, if I could, would make no difference! Finally the actual Evernote.exe file is NOT Read Only... so ready to surrender and wave the white flag on this one...maybe check back in, in another 2 years 😞 

RavBoy, please try actually running my batch file.  Don't try to do it yourself from the command line.  As blakeshpere has pointed out, you're mistyping the commands in the batch file when you're entering them by hand at the command line.  You are making this more difficult than it needs to be by NOT using the canned solution I provided.

My batch file (attached again) say:

sfk rep Evernote.exe -firsthit -text "/-webkit-touch-callout:text;/background-color:#B2b1B3;  /" -yes

You've added two spaces to it, and so of course it doesn't work.  Please use the line VERBATIM as above -- spaces count; lack of spaces count; change nothing.  Yes, that means NO spaces after either colon, and, yes, that means TWO MANDATORY SPACES after the final semicolon.

EN-color.txt

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

RavBoy, please try actually running my batch file.  Don't try to do it yourself from the command line

Thanks Robert.  I will learn some more re batch files, but it appears that if not using the Command Prompt, I can just double click it from its folder location in MS Explorer in order to run it.  Referring to the process I followed, and outlined above... at what Step # Number would I run the batch file please? 

Re the command line, yes I will remove the spaces (I had copy and pasted wrong line from 2 years ago that I reused/copied)

Finally, and given you and @blakesphere didn't comment on the folder 'Read Only' issues I described, do I take that to mean that this is not an issue?  Early morning for me so will try again later...thanks very much for your help.

RavBoy, sfk.exe is completely free of Trojans, viruses, and other malware.

What BitDefender is detecting is that sfk.exe has the capability of modifying other files on your hard drive, including other .exe files.  And, yes, it does; indeed, that's the whole point of sfk.exe -- it allows you to edit and modify files, even non-document ones such as .exe or .dll files.  In the case of the usage of it by my batch file, it replaces some white or off-white color coding in evernote.exe with different colors; that's the point of my batch file.

Turn off BitDefender, and download sfk.exe then run my batch file.

All best wishes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again @RobertJSawyer  I also received a reply about this from Juergen Thumm at Stahlworks, and he suggested downloading the Swiss File Knife App (sfk.exe) using the SourceForge link on his website, see his comments attached below...cheers

EN-Dmode-SFKApp-Trojan-Issue_pix.jpg

*EDIT 1-  I just used the SourceForge link as advised above by Juergen (see image), and my BitDefender Antivirus first had a BIG issue with the actual webpage flashing warnings of it being a dangerous page, and did I wish to continue, then once I said yes continue to page and downloaded the sfk197.exe file Bitdefender once again deleted the file... so for people with BitDefender you must do as Robert advised and turn off BitDefender!

This is SEXY and you @RobertJSawyer are AWESOME... a Very BIG Thank you 🙂 It looks great. 

I finally got it working, after adding an exception to my BitDefender Antivirus, and also learning how run a batch file using the CMD app as Administrator, versus double clicking the batch file from File Explorer (and of course ensuring All Evernote Apps/Clippers were closed beforehand)

EN-RunBatchFile-UseCMD-Success.jpg

Here's a screenshot of how it looks for me:

EN-Dmode-HalfSuccess_pix.jpg

The only remaining issue I now have, is that the 'Note List' did not change... I suspect it is due to the 3 lines of code I removed from your .bat file re note highlight color (as I didn't like your color choices), so will use your original file, after editing color choices, and report back... thanks again

*EDIT 1-  Ok so used your EN-color.bat file exactly as you coded/designed it... but still no change to Note List background color... any ideas?

*EDIT 2- I know very little about coding, and when i reviewed the batch file, as advised, I wondered if the code should be more like that used for the Note Background color? ...again just trying to get this to fully work

EN-color-bat-Code.jpg

RavBoy, start over with a fresh copy of Evernote.exe and a fresh copy of my batch file AND JUST RUN THE BATCH FILE.  Please stop editing it, stop removing things, and stop changing things.  THE BATCH FILE WORKS; ALL THE CODE IS IN THE CORRECT FORMAT; CHANGE NOTHING.

The best way to get a fresh copy of Evernote.exe -- one we can be sure you haven't modified already -- is to simply reinstall Evernote; all your notes and notebook structure will be preserved.

As to the color of the note list, AFTER you've seen what my picks actually look like, you might want to investigate further, but it's not JUST a question of choosing a pretty color -- you have to use one that, when inverted to show the highlighted note, still leaves the text in the note list readable; likewise, you have to pick a divider-line color that contrasts with the background color.  I spent a lot of time finding values that actually work; please try them.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

start over with a fresh copy of Evernote.exe and a fresh copy of my batch file

Yep downloaded a fresh Evernote.exe and installed again, which returned my EN-for-Windows to old white background for notes. Yep used a fresh batch file, with one incy wincy tiny little colour code change to my gray colour for Note Background, I knew you would be okay with that!? 😉 ... all else EXACTLY the same... BUT still no change to Note List background, will come back in another 2 years, happy with my progress for now, besides dont want you to throw the keyboard at your monitor, lol... thanks again