Change open screen from All Notes to Notebooks

A Fawver

Idea

92 replies to this idea

setting a default notebook to open to would be useful I think. Yes, it is simple to get to your chosen notebook, why you could say that about any irritating feature. Turn the argument around - if it opened to a deafult book, its only two actions to get back to the list of notes!

If the list of notes was intended to be used so much, or be the default, why have folders, AKA notebooks? Why not just put everything into one place? If a user doesn't use tags or notebooks, opening to the note list makes sense - it matches the way the user works. But I'll wager that most users use either tags/notebooks or use both, which implies that they want to view their work in that way, with notes being differentiated/separated from each other according to some criteria. Sticking them all altogther doesn't match the way they work, and contradicts the tag/notebook design rationale.

There is also the privacy issue, when EN opens, the screen is filled with your notes, maybe you wouldn't want someone looking over your shoulder to see some/any of them?

Even opening to the list of notebooks would be better than a list of notes jumbled together regardless of tags of folders.

A product like EN is about convenience and productivity, using UI taps just to get to see your work is neither convenient or aid productivity, quite the opposite.

It's interesting that EN for Windows opens at the last viewed notebook, whilst the Web beta and Android versions open to the notes list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Upvoting because this is not a "nice to have", but rather a "must have" for those of us who work on teams where we want to keep sensitive information from showing via our notes pages, whether presenting or even working at a desk.

I mean, c'mon already - get with the program, Team Evernote. Let me set Notebooks view by default, mmmm-kay? 

Y'all some thugs. :)

• Like 8

After a long hiatus from Evernote, I came looking for the same solution ...how to view notebooks instead of "all notes" on open. So silly is the problem, I thought I must be missing something. I see nothing has changed, no, Evernote is the one missing useful options. I also see, after years, we get the same bad advice and excuses for a poor UI. *sigh* I want soooo bad to enjoy using Evernote, but they make it soooo difficult to. Yes, everyone will use it differently. That's why some time ago,some programming genius came up with the concept of "options". Try it out sometime, Evernote!

• Like 4

It's painfully frustrating that Evernote cannot find a developer who could spend a week to create the option allowing users (especially paying) to have the app open to a specified note or notebook instead of the jumble of "all notes",  I see this thread has been open for two years. I've started to notice many bugs and UI issues that make me wonder if Evernote has any concern for the end user and real world functionality of their product anymore.

• Like 4

Wow. After spending a couple weeks researching my options, finally settling on Evernote and paying for it, I'm amazed this function doesn't exist. 

I'm creating a blog, researching for a number of articles at one time -- and wanted each one to have its own folder (notebook) to throw in any photos, YouTube links, my working notes and Word Docs together in one place. My intent was to make it all less overwhelming, but opening to the cards makes it ... well, overwhelming.

I wanted to use something other than Notebook because I already have that connected to several Gmail accounts, and others (Keep, OneNote, etc.) don't support all the above.

Has anyone found an alternative?

This seems so obvious for what's rated as the best app of this sort.

:(

• Like 1
On 3/28/2016 at 6:31 AM, Momogardner729 said:

I open Evernote, it's like a disorganized file cabinet with papers strewn everywhere rather than sorted in my carefully made, tidy folders

I prefer not to see a set of recently used notebooks at the top of the list. This all too often requires more scrolling to get to the notebook I truly want at that moment

So this. I like to work as if I had IRL cardboard folders in an IRL desk drawer with IRL documents, photos and notes inside each one. When I open my desk, do I want to be confronted with 100 of them all at once? No, that's why I put them in cardboard folders ... I assumed the notebooks would serve the same purpose.

• Like 1

Nope - there's no 'All Notes' option.

I don't want all notes, I would like to see a list of notebooks because I want to see notes in different folders. I'm puzzled why scruggles (and thge poster after her) says the list widget can show the notebook list.

• Like 2

Well said MomoG, but I fear we're all talking to the wall, Evernote seem particularly unresponsive to customer feedback and have already said it's not a priority. In fact they seem very slow at fixing the bugs never mind introducing new features.

For a product supposed to be convenient and let you work the way you want to, it seems to have a lot of  inconvenient "like it or lump it" features.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

As I read the organizer gurus who recommend Evernote, one topic continues to be repeated. "You can't use Evernote for daily tasks. You must use... todoist, Bullet Journal, etc" 

I would like to be able to open Evernote to my Daily notebook. That has a note for everything I need to accomplish today. Rather than the disorganization of All Notes. Without displaying my notebook to everyone. 

Thanks 

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 12/2/2015 at 5:48 PM, scruggles said:

This isn't something we're currently working on. One thing you could do, if you wanted easy access to your notebooks, would be to use the List Widget and set it so that it shows your Notebook list.

I was going to point to this as a possible workaround--I work kind of like @Jonesing For Prosperity and @Momogardner729, and this looked plausible. Until I tried it and discovered that, in the current version of the app, the list of Notebooks is not an option! Maybe it was in December 2015, but not now. You can choose one Notebook to display, or the most recently viewed or updated notes, but not the list of Notebooks. This really needs attention.

Opening the app with Notebook view makes so much more sense. I know in which notebook to look for  my notes and do not have to scroll to hundreds of notes to find it. Also, I would prefer the screen to show the notebooks as I do not want my private confidential notes to splash all over the screen for others to see, in case i want to show someone something.

• Like 1

This does not seem like a difficult feature to change/add.  I've looked at other cross-platform note organization products that have started to come on to the market (ex Google Keep, etc.) and while I use Evernote exclusively for organizing notes and projects (it is a good product), I have been hesitant to actually buy a subscription simply due to not getting the idea behind some of the organization in the app and the all notes as the default opening screen is one of them.

I just came back to Evernote to seriously use it this time around as my main note taking application. It's clean and simple, things I look for in apps I'm considering using. After using it for a while now I'm noticing that every time I open up Evermore I'm greeted by a mess of notes! I agree with everyone here, it's not the logical approach. In the physical world you go to your organized shelf with labeled notebooks, select the one you to work with and then you open up to all your notes. This is how I would like Evernote to work. And it's a simple feature to implement, just add a "default view" feature in settings allowing users to either start Evernote in Notes or in Notebooks. That's all I want and I'll be a happy camper! Why has this been an issue for such a long time?

• Like 2

I have to say, that on Apple devices, iPhone, iPad and iMac, Evernote returns to the Notebook where you left off and after paying subscription, so I could have it on Android as well, I'm very disappointed that you have to 'go all around the houses', just to get back and carry on. It does do so when in a current phone session, but not after putting the phone off.

I wanted to use Evernote as my main Note Taking everywhere, but this problem, is currently destroying my workflow.

I'm on Android, I go to a notebook -> open the notebook settings ->add to the home screen

On the android home screen I have removed the original Evernote icon (the app) and thanks Nova Launcher I edited the "link" to the particular notebook, choosing the same icon of the app.

Now I can click on the link (that has the same icon of the app so is very nice) and I'll go to the notebook directly.

That's all 😉

• Level 5*

It's a reasonable feature request,  though I tend to open the app either to add a note or to search for specific information,  so the initial display just tells me it's awake and ready to rumble.  I guess I also sometimes edit a recent note so a notes display in 'created date' order lets me see the last note quickly...

A great way to have notebooks in list or specific list of notes is the new List Widget.

I think I will use even more than one List Widget. One for notebooks, and one or more for some frequently used notes, using special tag for these notes. (Hope this would not influence the speed of the phone, or the battery life).

Used smart, this List Widget could become the most powerful feature of Evernote.

This isn't something we're currently working on. One thing you could do, if you wanted easy access to your notebooks, would be to use the List Widget and set it so that it shows your Notebook list.

How do you do that?

When creating a widget, there's two choices, Action Widget or List Widget. The List Options for the List Widget are to show: Recently Viewed, Recently Updated; Notebook (which shows the contents of a specific NB); Reminders; Shortcuts or Tags. I don't see any option to show all Notebooks. Am I missing something?

• Level 5*

Nope - there's no 'All Notes' option.  Best you can get is a specified notebook.  Unless you have a very small database - or a very large device memory - I'm not sure what benefit an 'all notes' display would be.  Without a network connection some or all of the notes would be unavailable.  Because (like most) my device has limited internal storage,  I have one notebook where I move all the notes I currently need to be able to see on the phone.  The contents rotate depending on my needs.  That notebook is offline searchable,  and that's the one I keep in my List widget.  Currently the mobile notebook has 42 notes in it,  as compared with the 19.5K in my main database.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  No,  unless @Scruggles is looking at a different version of EN Android,  I think she's mistaken - there are no options in any of the widgets to display a list of notebooks - you can start the main app from there,  and find the notebook list within a swipe or two,  but the widgets themselves don't have that feature.

Oh whoops, I was wrong! You can pick a specific notebook for the widget but not your notebook list. Thanks for the correction, gazumped :)

That's ok then, thought maybe you had the deluxe version! Lol

Looking at the widget, shortcuts etc, but it's only making do rather than meeting the need.

Having the app open to wherever it was needed would be a good feature.

• Like 1

Hi

I also want to be able to choose which notebook is default when opening the app. I have a personal and work notebook and on my phone, I only need the personal one. Adding the list widget fills my wish to have direct access to my personal notebook, however, as I have pin security set for this app (for obvious reasons), adding the widget makes the security useless. (if wouldn't be useless if only the title of the note in the notebook shows, but even with the viewing settings to only show the title, it still shows content, which I do not want). So 2 suggestions here:
1. add the option to have a default notebook opened when opening the app.

2. fix the bug where content is still showed in the list widget even when the settings say to only show the title.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, JDish said:

Well said MomoG, but I fear we're all talking to the wall, Evernote seem particularly unresponsive to customer feedback and have already said it's not a priority.

Actually you're talking to other users, although Evernote employees do drop in occasionally.
Regarding priorities, I encourage everone supporting this request to up-vote it (voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion).  There's no guarantee, but it does provide an indication of the priorities from a user perspective.
Currently the vote is......0

• Like 2
On 28/03/2016 at 7:20 PM, DTLow said:

Actually you're talking to other users, although Evernote employees do drop in occasionally.
Regarding priorities, I encourage everone supporting this request to up-vote it (voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion).  There's no guarantee, but it does provide an indication of the priorities from a user perspective.
Currently the vote is......0

who said i was referring to this thread, or this site? That's an assumption you jumped to. I'm referring to direct contact with Evernote (who don't make it easy by the way). I've had NO acknowledgement of my contact, NOthing was done about the problem, and there was NO improvement in performance. A hat-trick of nothing.

As for employees only dropping in, if the company was actually interested in meeting customer needs, they'd be proactive, and openly visited, support and moderate this site. As it is, they take the easy way out, and don't visit, instead relying on the CUSTOMER to vote for improvements. I've never known any company duck responsibility so much.

There was a employee above who responded to say this feature wasn't being worked on. Did she mention to vote for it? No. I didn't even know about the vote button because its indistinct and anonymous looking, and in both my browsers, simply says '0' (not 'the number of votes for this idea is ...') so I have no idea if the idea is already popular or if I'm the only one interested or if the site isn't displaying correctly. As it is, voting looks a waste of time as there is no commitment from the company to actually act, and I suspect they simply act on what they want to regardless of what customer want. As for development, there's been no real new features in the last 6 or so 'updates' virtually every change can be described as a bug fix or simple changes to an existing feature.

I've gone back to using Pocket. A delight to use, the webclipper works almost faultlessly unlike ENs which fails on one third of sites I use, and if ever there is a problem with the pocket clipper, its easy to contact them and within days its fixed. Unlike EN where months later it still doesn't work for me on the whole of one site, despite giving them the domain that didn't work and describing the problem. Complete waste of time trying.

The only thing not perfect about Pocket is that it doesn't have folders, but its something I can live with because everything else works, unlike EN where the only thing that worked was the folders.

• Like 2

Does clipper work for anyone on their iPad? I'm interested to know.  Mine only works for a while if I uninstall/reinstall Evernote from my iPad.

It typically stops working after about a day.  It gets stuck on one notebook and crashes if I try to select a different one.  Then when I finally give up and let it save to the notebook it's stuck in, it hangs after I select Save.

What's the point of Clipper if it continually breaks?

I've just up-voted this problem (so now it's two).  There must be many thousands of people who are bugged by this 'All notes' view thing who never get around to grizzling about it to the authorities.  [I'm on holidays so can fritter my time away in such pursuits].  Perhaps I have incipient OCD but it annoys me to see that mess of disparate notes, which shemozzle I have to organise by choosing Notebooks view.  Aah, order and clarity restored.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Despite the impassioned arguments (and 25 contributors) there are still only 5 votes for this topic.  Doesn't look like it's going to be worthwhile for Evernote to revisit the issue anytime soon...

• Like 1

Completely agree with this idea and commend it to the Evernote staff. I am fed up of opening Evernote on the screen I was last using, then having to click "View Notebooks". It seems to me that this should be the default opening screen.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, BrynRedbeard said:

I would like to be able to open Evernote to my Daily notebook.

I can't control the opening screen, but I have a shortcut item for quick access to my Daily Task list.  Are shortcuts an Android feature?

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I can't control the opening screen, but I have a shortcut item for quick access to my Daily Task list.  Are shortcuts an Android feature?

I have never made a shortcut in Android. Guess I will do some research this week. 

Cheers 

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, BrynRedbeard said:

I have never made a shortcut in Android. Guess I will do some research this week. 

Cheers 

Find the note in your Evernote app note list and long-press to select it. Hit the three dots menu at upper right.  Tap 'add to shortcuts'...  (That's in my current Beta version.  If I open the note first and then use the three dots menu for that note, the shortcuts option is greyed out...)

• Level 5*

Evernote might be about to release the option in their next update - they don't (usually) share that sort of information.  Or their various sources of customer feedback - which include but are not exclusively this forum - haven't given this development a high enough priority to get it started.  If it was that easy to do I'd imagine they would already have done it - meantime the usual rules apply.  If this is a feature you can't live without,  then Evernote may not be the note-taking app you should be using...

gazumped, 

I was exploring today in EN Android and found this functionality. Being an EN novice, it may be new or I overlooked it earlier. 

To create a home screen shortcut to the notebook of choice (Inbox for me) open the app and navigate to the desired notebook. Tap the 3 vertical dots to display the settings menu, choose add to Home Screen. You will be presented with a dialog box to name the shortcut. Click Save and the shortcut to the desired notebook will be created. 

Cheers all

• Level 5*

Well bless my Grandad socks!  I don't recall seeing that before either,  so thanks for the tip.  Remind me always to check those sneaky menus for hidden goodies in future...;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, JMBTX said:

Sadly that function must only exist for Androids.

Well, this post exists in an Evernote for Android subforum. If you wish to request it for some other OS, then you should make a feature request in the Product Feedback forum appropriate to your desired device (but do please try a forum search first, in case it's already been requested).

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-25 at 오전 2시 19분, Boudica1 said:

I tried to find the 'contact us' on the evernote site so I can submit this suggestion,

To post a suggestion, select the appropriate forum; feedback or requests
Each forum has a button at the top to post a new discussion

Hi! I've also been wanting the option to have my Notebooks list docked in my sidebar by default, instead of "all notes," for the reasons already mentioned above. I also stopped using Evernote because of this. I really like all of Evernote's other features, but as petty as it may sound, this feature makes the tool nearly unusable for me. I'm a researcher, and relied on Evernote Web to quickly dump information by several different topics. I usually love revamped versions of tools, and hung on to this new version for 2 years, hoping it'd change, or I'd realize there was a simple fix I was missing. I've been searching for a solution, which brought me here. But I guess it turns out that the shortcoming was with EN and not me after all... and continues to be after all this time. I'll have to try switching to the old version to see if I can still work with it. Otherwise, EN will just be an archive for me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Did you try creating a template note for each of your notebooks and exporting the template as an ENEX file?  If you save those files somewhere convenient,  a quick click on the appropriate template should cause it to open in Evernote,  already assigned to the right notebook.  You could also add in standard headings,  references and layout to save more time...

I don't really know how to do that... and the way I use filing is to have lots of notebooks categories under several stacks. Could possibly make that work, but would be busywork I'm not really excited about. I actually really like the old version. I'll use it for as long as EV keeps offering it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Whatever works for you... :)

There are old versions available going back years,  so not being able to find the right version is not an issue.  It's always best though to update whenever you can - there are bug and security fixes in there which you may need,  and sooner or later your OS will update and your older version may no longer work then...

Still, as long as it's working...

On 08/08/2017 at 4:13 PM, Jaclyn said:

Hi! I've also been wanting the option to have my Notebooks list docked in my sidebar by default, instead of "all notes," for the reasons already mentioned above. I

Jaclyn, could you explain this to me in different words? I can't picture what you are asking about here.

Cheers,

BrynRedbeard

In Android, when I open Evernote, it always opens to an alphabetical list of ALL NOTES, which seems useless to me. 

I'd like it to open to a list of my NOTEBOOKS.  It's annoying that I must click the hamburger menu, then select Notebooks in order to see them. I can't find any way in settings to change the default/opening view.  I've used Evernote for many many years, and it seems that this was once possible.

Is there any way that this is possible?  If not, I would request that Evernote make this change.  Seems pretty basic to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry,  but all notes is what you get.  Swiping in from the left of your screen should get you the option to switch to a list of notebooks,  if that's preferable to using the burger menu;  or you could create shortcuts to notebooks in the desktop client,  add those to your shortcuts menu,  and get to a specific notebook that way.  There's also a widget which will display various things including a specific notebook or your shortcuts,  without having to open the main app.

Can you explain your intended workflow in a little more detail?  Why is it preferable to see notebooks rather than notes?

• Level 5

I totally agree with @arlcrane. I use notebooks as my main organizing tool, and in the last day I may have added or edited notes in 3 or 4 different notebooks. It's not helpful to see my most recent notes in a list; the one I'm currently looking for may be a page down. But if it opened to the notebooks list, the one I want would likely be on the same page. And it's simply much easier to scan 3 or 4 notebook titles looking for what I want than to scan a dozen note titles. In the Android Product Feedback forum, there's a feature request along these lines with 35 votes. Go give it one more!

I agree that the widget is very helpful, but this option would be great.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:19 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sorry,  but all notes is what you get.  Swiping in from the left of your screen should get you the option to switch to a list of notebooks,  if that's preferable to using the burger menu;  or you could create shortcuts to notebooks in the desktop client,  add those to your shortcuts menu,  and get to a specific notebook that way.  There's also a widget which will display various things including a specific notebook or your shortcuts,  without having to open the main app.

Can you explain your intended workflow in a little more detail?  Why is it preferable to see notebooks rather than notes?

I have a few dozen Notebooks, each with a dozen or more notes.  That results in a few hundred notes.  Scrolling through these notes to find the one I want is slow and a waste of time and energy.  Opening to the Notebook view would be much faster, and a more appropriate interface in my opinion.  

I already have a home screen folder with shortcuts to specific Notes, which is a huge timesaver.  I'm not going to beat my head against the wall about this, but having the option to view Notebooks as the primary screen just seems like common  sense.  I guess that's why it's not an option. :P

• Like 2

On 12/3/2015 at 9:48 AM, scruggles said:

Very disappointing.  This issue was raised as being a problem in the windows desktop as well.  Basically precludes Evernote from being used professionally or taken seriously in that context as with modern screen sharing style meetings, who wants to pull up a note when the audience is going to see every other note you've recently been working on or clipping for.. perhaps for a competitor account.

Wasn't there question by Evernote of having a separate 'work' and 'personal' profiles?

@Greggles This has been requested for years and is always something they aren't currently working on. As many bugs that have impacted the app in recent releases that go unaddressed and build up, I doubt new (and functional) features are never going be implemented. After 7 years as a user I am just waiting for my premium account to expire so I can move on.

2 hours ago, JMBTX said:

@Greggles This has been requested for years and is always something they aren't currently working on. As many bugs that have impacted the app in recent releases that go unaddressed and build up, I doubt new (and functional) features are never going be implemented. After 7 years as a user I am just waiting for my premium account to expire so I can move on.

Yes, what you say does indeed make sense.  As a user for a similar amount of time, but likewise being on the receiving end of so many bugs and poor performance, I suppose these posts are my last ditch attempt to yell "hey Evernote, pull the finger out cause I really don't want to abandon, but am close to.

I would love to have an option to change what view the app opens in.  I would love to have it open with the list of Notebooks.  Is this something that is possible or something that is coming in future updates?  I am a beta user of the Android app if that makes a difference. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi. I'm also a beta user.  There's no option (yet) to change the opening view,  though your list of notebooks is only a swipe and a tap away.  Have you looked at the large Evernote Widget?  You can set that up to view (amongst other things) recently updated notes or saved searches.  If you're most likely to be looking for a notebook in which you've recently changed one or more notes,  that option might work for you.  Alternatively you can view (on my device anyway) eight saved searches,  so you could save searches for up to 8 notebooks for easy access... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, baspoppe said:

I would greatly appreciate this feature. Really annoyed by the current way it works...

Again, the place to express this support is not in this thread, but in the existing feature request:

Click the upward arrow at the top of the page.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Again, the place to express this support is not in this thread, but in the existing feature request:

Click the upward arrow at the top of the page.

I appreciate your comment, however, for the top 5 most requested features none has been delivered for the past few years. This brings me to the question - what is the use of this list? I know that you are probably not the person I should ask this question. We all click this arrow for the past few years and it doesn't change anything. 

Please treat my post just as the expression of helplessness...

• Level 5*
On 1/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, Winger said:

This brings me to the question - what is the use of this list?

It provides Evernote with suggestions, and the vote indicates user interest
- current count is 750704929_ScreenShot2020-01-06at8_41_34AM.png.03ff47d6a22a69536705f65bd0d07399.png
It provides users with a place post requests, indicate support, b*tch

• Haha 1

Evernote is dead, as attested to by this vitally important and easy request having been on the go since 2015 with no action, acknowledgement or response from Evernote in that time.  No way they are going to be taken seriously as a business tool anymore for this (are you really going to open Evernote in front of a client when you can't control the initial screen and notes they see?) and the many other associated problems that have persisted for so long.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Greggles said:

are you really going to open Evernote in front of a client when you can't control the initial screen and notes they see?

I'd open Evernote to a selected view - there are various work-arounds
For example: AppleScript on a Mac
     tell application "Evernote" to open collection window with query string "tag:!Type-Journal"
launches Evernote with my dashboard notes view

>>Evernote is dead, as attested to by ...

Evernote is alive, as attested by ####### users

This request has stalled at 64 user votes    
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

God is Dead, as attested by Nietzsche
                    Nietzsche is Dead, as attested by God

On 1/9/2020 at 11:31 PM, DTLow said:

I'd open Evernote to a selected view - there are various work-arounds
For example: AppleScript on a Mac
     tell application "Evernote" to open collection window with query string "tag:!Type-Journal"
launches Evernote with my dashboard notes view

>>Evernote is dead, as attested to by ...

Evernote is alive, as attested by ####### users

This request has stalled at 64 user votes    
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

God is Dead, as attested by Nietzsche
                    Nietzsche is Dead, as attested by God

Evernote is dying. Attested to by the fact that even with a years notice they couldn't be bothered to update the web clipper to function within Safari after it's update. Why would we think they would ever address a feature request? You can say it's only due to 64 upvotes, but look how long this has been open and asked for. We all know it's not a huge development change. Then again, they will no longer even address bugs that you report. I've had the same three major and functional bugs for at least 10 months, Evernote just passes you back and forth from their "advisors" who make you repeat the problem and repeat the process of proving it until you give up.

Yes, Evernote is dying due to it's own giving up and slowly falling behind. 

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, JMBTX said:

Evernote is dying. Attested to by the fact that even with a years notice they couldn't be bothered to update the web clipper to function within Safari after it's update. Why would we think they would ever address a feature request? You can say it's only due to 64 upvotes, but look how long this has been open and asked for. We all know it's not a huge development change. Then again, they will no longer even address bugs that you report. I've had the same three major and functional bugs for at least 10 months, Evernote just passes you back and forth from their "advisors" who make you repeat the problem and repeat the process of proving it until you give up.

Yes, Evernote is dying due to it's own giving up and slowly falling behind. 

1. Here's actual info on what they're doing: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/
  2. Yes, look how long this has been open. And still only 64 people have voted for it (including me, BTW, though it's not a deal-breaker for me).
  3. I hate the fact that the incomprehensible note lock bug continues, and since it's known that it was introduced in v. 8.10, it seems to me like it ought to be easy to track down the broken code and fix it.
  4. But what the **** do I actually know about what's wrong and what it would take to fix it?
  5. For all its problems, Evernote still does a good job for me, and I'm glad to know they're working on a comprehensive upgrade (see #1), which might be the reason they're not addressing particular bugs in a version that's going to go away in a few months.
  6. Please do come back a year from now and explain how Evernote is still dying. Everybody that's made this prediction for the last 3-5 years always returns to explain why the corpse is still breathing. Don't they?

Just to repeat my query, MacOS and IOS work fine with me and return to the Notebook I left at Close, great. It's Android that throws me back to All Notes and therefore, in my case, only the Android App causing the annoyance.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Boudica1 said:

Unless you happen to google the exact same wording as this forum is titled, you can't find it and therefore you can't upvote, so the fact that there are only 64 votes isn't representative of how badly it's needed - there are probably a few other forum posts related to this but titled slightly differently also with votes. Plus, tons of people never bother to try to contact the company to ask for features.  

For my part, every time I get a survey from Evernote, I keep writing it in every free form text box, so hopefully it cuts through some layers and gets through (though from lack of progress, I guess not).  Maybe one day they'll stop doing internal focus groups and actually ask people other than 20-something white male Silicon Valley software engineers who all think the same.

PS: has anyone noticed that the same messy filing comes with the web clipper? It doesn't give you a tree organisation, just *all* the hundreds of subfolders in alphabetical order (ie, out of context), so I have to try to remember what I've called the folder to find it to save the clipping in... Sigh.  

Just for information

• this forum is supported by a small group of users who're very familiar with common topics and will move posts into relevant places or threads if a new post comes in separate from a previous discussion.  If you see any more posts on this subject please tell us about it - they'll be merged in with the flow.  The votes you see are likely all you got.
  • Evernote has lots of places to get feedback from a wide range of users including newbie students and 70+ year-old veterans around the world.  Even in this forum there are hundreds or thousands of competing feature requests that - even if they're accepted as part of Evernote's long-term plan - will take years to implement.
  • Evernote doesn't have a 'tree' as such.  There's just Stacks, Notebooks and Notes.  If you have hundreds of notebooks you may be over complicating things...
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Boudica1 said:

PS: has anyone noticed that the same messy filing comes with the web clipper? It doesn't give you a tree organisation, just *all* the hundreds of subfolders in alphabetical order (ie, out of context), so I have to try to remember what I've called the folder to find it to save the clipping in... Sigh

You should post a new topic in the web clipper forum1740024399_ScreenShot2020-01-11at6_31_59PM.png.6cc21e1b2550e13d1d8a203e28379016.png

The screenshots are from the web clipper on my Mac Safari web browser, and has selections for Notebooks and Tags

The Notebook selection includes  the tree structure     
(I use minimal notebooks)831756392_ScreenShot2020-01-11at6_26_09PM.png.28f7e7c9d0baf573375f3beb00259cb5.png

The Tag selection omits the tree structure and displays a filtered list as you start typing
300093802_ScreenShot2020-01-11at6_41_53PM.png.3dfb56c625d9648b2eb229413bf2db78.png

In IOS, the share sheet also has selections for Notebooks and Tags   
The Notebook selection omits displaying the tree structure   
The Tag selection omits the tree structure

• Level 5*
On 1/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, Boudica1 said:

Unless you happen to google the exact same wording as this forum is titled, you can't find it and therefore you can't upvote, so the fact that there are only 64 votes isn't representative of how badly it's needed - there are probably a few other forum posts related to this but titled slightly differently also with votes. Plus, tons of people never bother to try to contact the company to ask for features.  

Except for the fact that that the moderators tend to find common requests and merge them. That being said, basically *all* feature requests are in the same boat: vote count is relative to other vote counts, not number of forum-goers or total number of Evernote users. And that's not to mention the other sources of requests (twitter, tech support, etc.). Companies like Evernote already know that they don't get %100 participation from their users, and make adjustments.

For my part, every time I get a survey from Evernote, I keep writing it in every free form text box, so hopefully it cuts through some layers and gets through (though from lack of progress, I guess not).  Maybe one day they'll stop doing internal focus groups and actually ask people other than 20-something white male Silicon Valley software engineers who all think the same.

Nice bunch of assumptions there., not adding up to much concrete, I'm sorry to say.

PS: has anyone noticed that the same messy filing comes with the web clipper? It doesn't give you a tree organisation, just *all* the hundreds of subfolders in alphabetical order (ie, out of context), so I have to try to remember what I've called the folder to find it to save the clipping in... Sigh.  

Well, maybe, but it's not really topical to this particular request, so you should post a separate request in the web clipper feature request forum. That being said, the web clipper does do filtering on notebook names as you type characters in, which I find handier than navigating a stack/notebook structure (assuming that I had tons of notebooks, which I don't).

On 1/12/2020 at 2:25 AM, Boudica1 said:

A stack comprised of notebooks which contain folders, which in turn contain notes - isn't that a tree structure?  That's what I do, so then I have a lot of folders which are contained in notebooks. That's what I meant by subfolders.

First off, there are no folders in the Evernote architecture, only stacks, notebooks, notes and tags. Most folks who want a tree structure for Evernote want an arbitrarily nestable container structure, most likely using notebooks as the basis for the tree (i.e., allowing notebooks to contain other notebooks rather than just notes), much like files and folders in a file system .Evernote doesn't have that; it has a very flat structure where stacks can only contain notebooks, and notebooks can only contain stacks. A tree by strict definition, sure, but not what most people want, from my reading of the forum, anyhow. 

Is or would it be possible to choose what list the app opens to?  Currently, when I open the app (android) it opens to All Notes.  I would like it to open to the list of Notebooks instead.  Is there a way to do this or would it be possible to create it?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, HNext said:

Is or would it be possible to choose what list the app opens to?  Currently, when I open the app (android) it opens to All Notes.  I would like it to open to the list of Notebooks instead.  Is there a way to do this or would it be possible to create it?

I merged your request with an existing discussion   

I can't believe this still isn't a feature after 6 years of this thread. But as said you can choose one notebook then click on the top right and add to home screen on android, so that you have an icon that goes to a notebook instead of the Evernote app. Still not ideal but it has to do.

It seems that past versions of Evernote did list all notebooks.  Each new version is aggravating, but I haven't seen this option for ages.  My current version shows and Expand arrow at the bottom right, but it usually does nothing.  Even when it has produced the notebook list, it goes away as soon as you move your cursor, but it was better than nothing!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, PCHAMBERS said:

It seems that past versions of Evernote did list all notebooks.  Each new version is aggravating, but I haven't seen this option for ages.  My current version shows and Expand arrow at the bottom right, but it usually does nothing.  Even when it has produced the notebook list, it goes away as soon as you move your cursor, but it was better than nothing!

Hi, You're adding to a 2-year old thread,  so it's not surprising you've not seen the option for a while.  Please quote your device, OS and Evernote version if you'd like some (possibly) constructive alternatives...

• Level 5

It doesn't really matter what is and what isn't. The Android client version 8 is deprecated, no changes, even no bug fixes.

If you want to discuss an issue with the new version 10 for Android, open a new thread in that subforum.

• Level 5
On 6/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, bmcl26 said:

I always quit Evernote in the Home Street, so it srtarts there next time, as that is what I first want to see first.

But still no Home in Android 8.13.3 - this is one of the new features that are not available in the old clients.