Subdividing in Notebooks

I am a teacher and thinking of using Evernote to scan all my student's work  into Evernote so that I would be able to compare and show growth to each student over the course of the year.

So my question is: Is it possible to sub-divide Notebooks into different categories by title? For example, have a Notebook titled History and then categories by student's names; or a Notebook for each student, with categories of the subject matter.

• Level 5*

EN primarily provides three structures to organize notes, notebooks and tags, and notebooks can be organized in stacks.  A notebook can only be in one stack.  So you really can't have subject stacks with student notebooks since the students would repeat, and vice versa for student stacks.

So, you could create a notebook by student and tag the notes by subject, create a notebook by subject and tag the notes by student, or create one notebook and tag the notes by subject and student.  I would opt for option three, more flexible in my view.  Searches by student or subject tag should get the list of notes you would want.

I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.  After reviewing the feedback, I would recommend picking what you think sounds best, giving it a try, and adjusting to whatever works best for you after as you learn.

• Level 5*

I agree with what @Cal said, but I would add one thing:  If you want to share a block of Notes, they will need to be in the same Notebook.

So, for example, if you would want to share the Notes for a student with only that student, then you would need to have a Notebook for each student.

• Level 5*

@JM makes an excellent point.  So if sharing with students you would need to use a student notebook.  I might still tag the notes with student though; just in case you move a note to the wrong notebook and it will make some searches easier.

Archived