Insert a line in a note

Judykator

Idea

5 replies to this idea

On 07/19/2015 at 4:23 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you edit the note and tap the text you'll get an insertion point;  tap 'return' on your keyboard to add line spaces...

That's a line break you describe. Not a line (aka separator).

I'm also at a loss as to how to do it in Android. Why they would add superscript to the formatting bar and not a line is beyond me.

• Level 5*

Ah.  When is a line not a line...  You're right there's no obvious way to add a single line in current Android - and I'm running the next beta,  so a near future release won't help either.  Could be that there was limited space on the tool bar and super/ subscript seemed like a better option at the time,  or just that no-one asked for a lines key yet.  There's limited space available,  so presumably choices had to be made. 

It's possible to add lines in Evernote Desktop,  so there's a possibility to edit notes later to add that detail,  or maybe to have a template note with a line added from desktop which you can then copy and paste as necessary,  or just add three dashes "---" where you want a line to appear and sync the note to desktop.  When those three dashes hit the desktop interpreter they'll come out as lines. 

If you want to promote this I'd suggest reposting it in one of the Feedback forums where ideas can be voted on - the more votes,  the more likely it is that you'll see your suggested feature request being developed.  Meantime try experimenting with templates containing a line / lines to be copied,  and the "---" shortcut - or create a unique keyword like "XlineX" to show where you need lines,  and use a generic search later to find and replace all keywords with an actual line.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, gazumped said:

or just add three dashes "---" where you want a line to appear and sync the note to desktop.  When those three dashes hit the desktop interpreter they'll come out as lines.

For myself, I find that they don't automatically convert to lines; I have to press Enter at the end of the line with ---. Since the Android formatting toolbar already has to be scrolled to see all the options (in portrait mode, anyway), I wonder whether space would be the issue. In any case, I second the request!

Archived