Frequent crashes on iOS 8 on iPhone 6+

bifjamod

I saw one person here in the forum declare that they have scanned 400 documents so far. I'd like to know how - Scannable frequently crashes when I use it. It's an AWESOME handheld scanner, and I realize it's early on, but the incredible amount of crashes compared to attempts is making it impossible to use for me. I'd like to know from the EN folks how I can work with them to resolve that.

Exactly the same thing is happening to me using iPad Minion ios8. Given up and gone back to main scanner until this is sorted. Managed to scan. Couple of docs to Evernote and when it works properly it will be great. Please sort this bug.

I have the exact same problem. As soon as i open the app, it closes instantly. 

I installed Scannable this weekend and used it to scan receipts during a weekend trip with friends. Once back home, I now notice that only a faction of them have been synced to Evernote. 

What should I do? 

Just leave it until a new update arrives? 

I'm pretty screwed if I lose these receipts..  :wacko:

You can download iExplorer (http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer) and get the images from the scannable app when it is connected to your PC or Mac.

After i saved all my images I uninstalled and reinstalled the scannable app and it is back to normal.

My hunch, for which I have no proof, is that because I scanned about 75 documents without any internet connection it did not sync them to evernote and was just bogged down then the next time it tried to open. Hopefully this issue can be resolved in the near future as that is a big problem.

This has been a very elusive issue for us to track down. We really appreciate your help and patience as we work though it.

For anyone seeing this, can I ask

Test #1

1. When Scannable crashes, immediately go to the iOS Camera app, and try to take a picture.

2. Does Camera.app crash?

Test #2

1. Turn on Airplane mode

2. Try using Scannable

Does it crash/ as much?

Test #1

No, the camera app does not crash. I'm able to take a photo immediately.

Test #2

Scannable crashes immediately.

Additional info: Scannable crashes immediately at every scenario. I just noticed when double clicking the home button that the app shows receipt 11/11 in the app is "not there", just blank. Perhaps this is related to the assumed syncing issue as previously mentioned.

This has been a very elusive issue for us to track down. We really appreciate your help and patience as we work though it.

Test #1

1. When Scannable crashes, immediately go to the iOS Camera app, and try to take a picture.

Test #2

1. Turn on Airplane mode

2. Try using Scannable

Does it crash/ as much?

Test #1 : Scannable Crash, Photo OK (no crash)

Test #2 : Scannable Crash

I cannot even open the app.  This has been going on for the past week or so.  I tried reboot, reset, delete, reinstall and nothing.

I really hope there is a patch for this, as the app is really great (when it works).

Thank you and good luck.

Test #1

2. Does Camera.app crash? NO

Test #2

1. Turn on Airplane mode

2. Try using Scannable

Does it crash/ as much? Crashes every time, same spot, photo taken, cropped image appears, app crashes.

Many tries, 100% failure rate.

IOS8.1.2 on 6 Plus

>>>>>>>>>   EDIT, Just found the thread suggesting a reboot. Tried it and now have a 100% success rate :)   <<<<<<<<<<

• 3 weeks later...

I am on a 6+ with 64gb; i have plenty of space on the phone, don't use many graphic intensive apps, and camera works fine.

Rebooting helps - i can get through about 10-12 business cards before it starts crashing again.

As to your specific questions:

Test #1

NO

Test #2

1. Turn on Airplane mode

2. Try using Scannable

Does it crash/ as much?  That seems to fix it -- I was able to continue on this time and scan everything (25 business cards).  That said , it doesn't seem to be looking up the linkedin profiles when I take it out of airplane mode, and it does crash when trying to do that (after taking out of airplane mode).

Does that help?

None of the tips helped so far. It still keeps crashing shorly after scanning a document.

The normal evernote app also crashes on scanning documents.

Can we create a core dump of the app or something useful to get this fixed?

Is there an alternative 3rd party app?

None of the tips helped so far. It still keeps crashing shorly after scanning a document.

The normal evernote app also crashes on scanning documents.

Can we create a core dump of the app or something useful to get this fixed?

Is there an alternative 3rd party app?

Unfortunately, and very unusually, this crash is not producing a log event, which indicates it may be a problem we're not in control of. However, the more we understand it, the more we may be able to find a workaround and help provide feedback.

I realise this is very frustrating and appreciate everyone's help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tried everything- closed running apps, deleted and loaded scannable multiple times, rebooted phone, online/offline, syncing/unsyncing accounts, etc.

The only action I've found that makes any difference is capturing the image with the 'manual' button as opposed to automatically. Went from crashing w/o saving after first scan every time- to getting multiple scans w/occasional crash. When scanning a multi page file- images are still saved if/when app crashes. Btw- using current ios8 version on 6+. May or may not be a fluke- but so far so good. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

For the last week I have experienced crashes all the time when scanning.  Circle spins, camera snaps and the image appears, but when the image on screen switches to color-corrected the app crashes.

Test #1: Camera works just fine after a crash.

Test #2: After turning on airplane mode the crashes goes away.

Update: I still get crashes in airplane mode, but it seems less frequent.

Hi, I just installed Scannable on my new iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.2 (12D508) about 1 week ago. Sadly, I am experiencing frequent crashes while using it. My situation is, after started Scannable, snapped a photo, save it to Camara Roll, continue to shoot a few more photos, then out of sudden my iPhone screen turned blue (yes, blue colour) follows with some random colours, and finally black; the phone is off. I have to press the power button to turn on the phone, do a reset. I have been experiencing this same situation for many times. Finally, I decided to uninstall it. I yet to know will this due to my phone or Scannable problem. Regards, Matthew.

Add me to the list. I've just downloaded the app and it does't scan. It appears to work fine up until the "click" of the camera, then CRASH. Oddly, my brother, who suggested the app,  has the exact same phone as I do, (iPhone 4S) and has no problems. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps any, but Scannable works fine for me under iOS 8.3. However, if I try to scan inside the Evernote app itself, it snaps the photo THEN crashes. I've tried to do the same document today about 10 times, under different lighting conditions, backgrounds, etc. Same results...crash. But scannable worked fine. Should I move this to a different discussion or does this help any?

Kelly

• 4 weeks later...

I believe it has to do with the quality of light.  My findings are that if there is not enough light for a good quality picture the app crashes. Try to take the same picture under better light conditions. Check also if the flash is turned on.

Andreas

I wonder if i'm the only user who's thinking "I'd love to subscribe to evernote, but i want this problem fixed first"?  I hate posting on forums and perpetuating the attitude that bug resolution is a part of the subscription price.

I ran a little test on my iphone 6 with 64gb, loads of space available-

- had other camera apps open

- opened evernote

- created new note

- tapped the camera button and took photo of single page doc in great light

- scannable crashed within 1 second of taking the shot

Immediately thereafter for Phase 2 - I performed these steps -

- closed the camera apps

- repeated the exact process for photo, same crash result

Phase 3 -

- shut the phone down, waited a minute

- restarted phone

- opened evernote (note no other camera apps are open at this point)

- repeated the new note/scan process per above, same doc, same light

- scannable does NOT crash.

- interestingly, 2 other photos from previous crashes are suddenly available in the same note

- i save the note with a subject line

- i open the note successfully and view images on separate device (laptop)

I am thinking that if this ever gets fixed, everyone who posted on this forum should receive a free year's subscription as the apparently honorary Testing Department.  I think this bug goes back to early 2014 from pre-scannable days.  It is difficult to believe that this could be unresolved for this long, considering it is such a core part of the functionality of the app.... I wonder if the CEO could read this forum?

Over to you Green Leaders,

Rob

[edit]

So after doing some successful scans, I opened a different app on the phone (NOT a camera app).  I then returned to scannable, and attempted another photo for a note - the immediate crash returned at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, and very unusually, this crash is not producing a log event, which indicates it may be a problem we're not in control of. However, the more we understand it, the more we may be able to find a workaround and help provide feedback.

I realise this is very frustrating and appreciate everyone's help. 

You mean you're not getting crash reports from your crash reporter? I was surprised that there aren't any on my phone or in the ASL. It feels like a bug that doesn't need crash reports since it it happens 90% of the time on my iPhone6 running 8.4 it should be easy to reproduce. If you want to give me access to your repo, I'll debug it ;-)

May I ask the problem is solved yet? This bug is frustrated since I can not use the scan feature of Evernote even I'm Premium user. When I need to scan some docs quickly, the main app Evernote crash all the time, sometime it took me 5 times to scan but failed. I have to purchase another app on appstore GeniusScan to scan my docs and save to Evernote as PDF, it's very frustrated because I can not save my docs as images in Evernote by this method.

Please fix it, I tried this on 3 different iPhone and get the same crashes, please don't tell us that your testing department can not reproduce this error at your ends????

Hi,

I am on an iPhone 6 plus and have been meaning to write this for a long time.

I am on iOS 8.4

Have the latest version of Scannable.

My complaint is that Scannable crashes 90% of the time. As soon as it scans a document and is trying to render it - boom. The app crashes. There are times when the phone screen goes blank. 

I have tried rebooting, deleting the app and installing again. Does not work.

The scanner from inside of Evernote has the same problem. Keeps crashing. I have stopping trying that.

Please help. I am a premium member and cannot use a feature that is very important to me.

Thanks,

Apu

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a look on my developer enabled phone and it is indeed weird - there are no crash reports so I can see why Evernote are having trouble tracking this down. I would assume a company like Evernote can enlist Apple's help - they certainly have a few guaranteed support requests as part of their developer agreement. Infant, my guess is that this is an Apple bug and not Evernote's so I would doubly hope Apple are helping.

I also have a slight workaround but it's not brilliant. I find that if I try and hold the phone very still, pointing at the same document whist it processes the image (i.e. the delay between the blue overlay disappearing and the B&W version of the image appearing just before it animates down to the tabbar - it slows you workflow down but the crashes are less frequent.

* If Evernote are reading, this would imply it's either memory related or some interaction between the image processing and image capture/camera recognition that's causing the crash.

Hi,

I am on an iPhone 6 plus and have been meaning to write this for a long time.

I am on iOS 8.4

Have the latest version of Scannable.

My complaint is that Scannable crashes 90% of the time. As soon as it scans a document and is trying to render it - boom. The app crashes. There are times when the phone screen goes blank. 

I have tried rebooting, deleting the app and installing again. Does not work.

The scanner from inside of Evernote has the same problem. Keeps crashing. I have stopping trying that.

Please help. I am a premium member and cannot use a feature that is very important to me.

Thanks,

Apu

I am experiencing exactly the same problem, with exactly the same configuration as you. Scannable worked perfectly when it first came out but has now become increasingly unreliable. A shame because it had real potential. I'll be investigating alternative scanning apps now.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have the same problem of suddenly the crashing of scannable on iPhone 6 Plus with IOS 8.4.1. As I do also have a iPhone 6 in use, I have tested there as well and scannable is no crashing (same IOS release)

It is quite a shame, as this App was very useful. It would be great if this bug can be solved as fast as possible.

Many greetings

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Archived