Reverting changes when web connection lost!?

chronistin

Idea

So, I was rather happy with the latest changes in the web beta and started using it again. I typed a new note on a train with WIFI connection. After a while, WIFI was lost for a moment, I got a notice that EN could not connect, and then the note REVERTED to the last saved state WITHOUT ANY INPUT from me. 

As someone who has to work with shaky connections all the time, this is the worst behaviour imaginable for that kind of situation. Fortunately, in this case, I only lost about half a sentence, but it could have been a lot worse. 

Here are some alternatives:

- Google docs/drive/whateverheycallitrightnow tells you the work cannot be saved, but you can still access the text, copy and paste it elsewhere.

- One program I used (sorry, don't remember the name) offered to save the html to the disk. After reestablishing connection, you could open the saved page and save it to the online version.

So... please find a better way to handle lost connections.

4 replies to this idea

So, I was rather happy with the latest changes in the web beta and started using it again. I typed a new note on a train with WIFI connection. After a while, WIFI was lost for a moment, I got a notice that EN could not connect, and then the note REVERTED to the last saved state WITHOUT ANY INPUT from me. 

As someone who has to work with shaky connections all the time, this is the worst behaviour imaginable for that kind of situation. Fortunately, in this case, I only lost about half a sentence, but it could have been a lot worse. 

Here are some alternatives:

- Google docs/drive/whateverheycallitrightnow tells you the work cannot be saved, but you can still access the text, copy and paste it elsewhere.

- One program I used (sorry, don't remember the name) offered to save the html to the disk. After reestablishing connection, you could open the saved page and save it to the online version.

So... please find a better way to handle lost connections.

Hello, 

We're sorry to hear about this. When we lose connection are unable to save a note, we do show an error. We'll look into why it is note doing so in this case. When it reverted back to the previous version, did you perform any note switches? Or did it just refresh out from under you? 

Nancy 

Hello Nancy, thanks for the answer. 

It all happened very fast, I saw the message on top while still typing. Stopped typing, the connection came back, and the window refreshed. I had only this one EN tab open. 

(Speculation: if I was kicked out of edit mode by the message, the keys I used while typing could have triggered the refresh, but I was using characters and numbers only, nothing like F5 or similar).

Now I am back at my desktop, and it's getting stranger: I noticed I have seven copies of this specific note from different points in time. I am really sure I just had EN open in one tab. 

Hello Nancy, thanks for the answer. 

It all happened very fast, I saw the message on top while still typing. Stopped typing, the connection came back, and the window refreshed. I had only this one EN tab open. 

(Speculation: if I was kicked out of edit mode by the message, the keys I used while typing could have triggered the refresh, but I was using characters and numbers only, nothing like F5 or similar).

Now I am back at my desktop, and it's getting stranger: I noticed I have seven copies of this specific note from different points in time. I am really sure I just had EN open in one tab. 

Thanks for the report back. Right now in the Web Client if there are sync conflicts multiple notes are created in the same notebook.  (The desktop saves conflicts into a local Conflict folder that doesn't get synced).  Sorry for the inconvenience. We will continue to try to improve this experience.  

One last question, is this note shared at all? Either in a shared notebook or directly? We recently fixed some of these issues with that particular case. 

- Nancy 

Archived