Samples of my Evernote notes suddenly showing up in Google search

cornetg

Idea

I just did a quick search on Google and was startled to find some of my own EN notes in Card view showing up to the right of the results.

What the hell is going on? Why is this suddenly happening? Is it the new version of the EN Web Clipper influencing events?

I'm on EN 6.0.16 on my Mac. Is that the culprit?

There is an option to 'dismiss' or 'dismiss forever' the Evernote Cards.  But why has this deeply intrusive behavior been allowed to occur? And why weren't we warned of it and given an option to opt out before it occurred?

I am shocked and offended by EN suddenly hijacking my notes and displaying them in a web search. 

12 replies to this idea

Ah, I've just found the stinker buried in the new EN Web Clipper options – under Related Results.

How rude of you to activate this without prior warning.

I've been a long time and always patient participant in this Forum, but this display of top-down control over my EN content I must say I find deeply distasteful.

Please give us a little more respect and change the default for Related Results to UNCHECKED.

• Level 5*

as i understand it, evernote looks through your notes for related ones, and evernote displays the results, but nothing occurs between evernote and google. evernote is simply taking space in your browser window to display these notes, these are only seen by you, and nothing intrusive is occurring.

now, if you are doing a presentation in front of a room of people, then this, the search suggestions, related notes, and so forth might cause problems. this lack of a "firewall" between private stuff and the rest of my account (it started to become a serious problem for me around 2012?) is one reason why i recommend having two accounts -- one for stuff anyone can see and one for you. and, in a similar vein, it is one reason why i always clear cookies and stuff on a regular basis. otherwise, you end up unintentionally sharing with others.

anyhow, back to evernote -- it's easily turned off. no harm done.

The more serious issue here is that my Evernote content is stored on the server, so in order to retrieve relevant Evernote notes, the google search is hi-jacked and sent to Evernote's servers for a lookup too. 

So Evernote gets to collect ALL my search queries. 

If I opt-out of the displaying them, does that also mean the search is never sent to their servers anymore?  How do we know, and how can we be re-assured?

It's so very NOT nice of them to suddenly opt-me-in to sending my Google searches to their servers.

The more serious issue here is that my Evernote content is stored on the server, so in order to retrieve relevant Evernote notes, the google search is hi-jacked and sent to Evernote's servers for a lookup too. 

So Evernote gets to collect ALL my search queries. 

If I opt-out of the displaying them, does that also mean the search is never sent to their servers anymore?  How do we know, and how can we be re-assured?

It's so very NOT nice of them to suddenly opt-me-in to sending my Google searches to their servers.

Precisely my point, Brian64. (And welcome to the forum.)

A response on this issue, with a clear explanation from Marcus or @Jackolicious, would be appreciated at this time.

Indeed. This should be clarified and/or fixed ASAP.

It's intrusive enough to be in danger of turning me from a huge evernote cheerleader to permanently wiping it from all my family's computers. :-(

Thanks for the feedback on this changed behavior for Related Results that is now ON by default for new users, new installs and for user who has never set a preference.

The Related Results is a feature of the Evernote Web Clipper and given the feedback we've received we are working on making it more clear when you first see the results. 

We are not storing any search queries. When you have the feature enabled we will look at the web search's results page and find notes related in your account via an API request to Evernote servers. If you turn the feature OFF the API request will not be sent. 

Thank you for your explanation, jb.

Given the announcement that has just come through that Chris O'Neill, who worked for almost ten years at Google, has replaced Phil Libin as Evernote CEO, it is reassuring to hear your pledge that API requests will not be sent.

A bit spooky the timing, nevertheless.

Invasive as fook.

Normally, when I go to use an interweb search engine it's to find information that I do not know.

In response to needing to have my evernote clips included in my search results: 

Very rarely is it something that I use to know or forgot. I say this because I'm wondering why I would need to search my notes for things that I've already [presumably] searched the internet for, an clipped for saving. What possible reason could there be for this?

The only place I find this even remotely useful would be on a tablet or smartphone. Just like my android can do a system-wide & internet google search from the google search bar on my homescreen, I can see this trying to do the same. If this is the case, include it for phones and tablets - not computers. 

IMO

Archived