Back up Evernote

What is the best way to back up Evernote data. I read a lot on the forum but did not find any solution to my needs.

So far I export all notes end of everyday or week depending upon how much work I have done on it into one big .Enex file.

However that assures my notes but it has a bigger problem behind it. Let me describe the problem in greater detail.

This is nature of my notes and I can not work in any other way.

1. As can be seen in the attached image that there is heavy hyperlinking involved in my notes.

2. When I import a note Evernote treats it as new note and assigns a new alpha numeric name and a new hyperlink. So exporting and saving a note assures that content is saved by is worthless to import back because all hyperlinking to old notes are lost.

3. Practically its not possible to remove hyperlinks, the text would be too verbose and hard to read, hyperlinking works great because I can edit linked notes at later date as well.  

4. You can say don't delete in first place. Sure as creator of these notes I won't but its a collaborative tool I am building, people are accessing across the world to read / contribute. So I want to think that someday someone will delete either deliberately or by accident.

We have a NB with already 4100 notes, and will grow upto about 10k over the course of next 2 years as the course progresses. 

Any suggestion how to back up notes individually / collectively and preserve its hyperlinks between notes. In case I want to restore to back up.

Thanks for your help

Windows 7 / Mac - Mavericks / iOS - EN-5.8.13

post-262075-0-88952600-1436790795_thumb.

• Level 5*

The simplest Windows option is to copy the Databases folder (Evernote > Tools > Options > General and Open Databases Folder for the location).  Reinstall a new evernote and replace the 'empty' new folder with the backed up copy and you have a way to reinstate and existing account without any download.

• Level 5*

The simplest Windows option is to copy the Databases folder (Evernote > Tools > Options > General and Open Databases Folder for the location).  Reinstall a new evernote and replace the 'empty' new folder with the backed up copy and you have a way to reinstate and existing account without any download.

The problem with that approach is that as soon as you sync Evernote will update the database you restored from backup with the last version that was sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.

Thus the changes you wanted to restore from the backup will be lost.

You need to take further steps as is outlined in my post above to fully recover Notes and changes from a backup.

• Level 5*

The databases folder is a copy of the current state of your account,  which 'should' be the same as the server copy.  If you lost the local copy of your account,  you can replace it more or less immediately with the backup - without a lengthy download.  If you lost your internet connection,  it's an immediate fix unless and until the server copy can compare itself with the available local copy.  If there's a problem,  the saved copy can be restored offline,  exported and re-imported to restore essential data. 

• Level 5*

The databases folder is a copy of the current state of your account,  which 'should' be the same as the server copy.

Only at that moment in time that the backup was made.

Backups are rarely needed the instant they are made.

If, anytime after the backup was made, you lost Notes or changes to Notes and sync'd, then the Backup is NOT the same as the EN Cloud.  Just restoring you local backup of the databases folder (which is all you posted originally) will NOT solve the problem.  You need to export to ENEX the Notes you want to restore, then sync, then import the ENEX, and copy/move these Notes back to their original Notebook, then sync again.

But as I said in original post, restoring from backed up .enex file is good, but the side effect is that I will loose all note hyperlinks with in other notes as shown in the OP. which is ton of work to recreate again. I wish there is a better alternative to keep the hyperlinks in the notebook active even after importing them. 

• Level 5*

But as I said in original post, restoring from backed up .enex file is good, but the side effect is that I will loose all note hyperlinks with in other notes as shown in the OP. which is ton of work to recreate again. I wish there is a better alternative to keep the hyperlinks in the notebook active even after importing them. 

Excellent point about ENEX files.  Unfortunately, there is no way to truly restore Evernote to a prior state (backup) without going through ENEX files.  Well, there is one way, revert.io.

One issue with ENEX export/import that everyone should be aware of is that you will lose information in this process:

1. All Note Links to any of the Notes in the ENEX are broken, lost, and will have to be recreated.
  2. The ENEX files do not contain any Notebook data.
  3. When you Import the ENEX file, the Note Created Date is lost, and set to the current date/time.
  4. To preserve Tags in the ENEX files, you must check the checkbox to include Tags during both the export and import process
  5. Tag hierarchy is not preserved.  If you had one, it will need to be recreated after the import process
  6. If the ENEX files came from Sync'd Notebooks,
    1. the Sync'd NB will have to be recreated, and the import of the ENEX Notes moved into the appropriate NB.
    2. Moving these Notes into Sync'd NBs will go against your monthly upload allowance

REF:  How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

Did check my settings for Windows backup and since I have a personality folder for Evernote, Dropbox, Bix, Google Drive they wasn't included in the settings. No matter for me, I didn't use Windows Backup, have another backup system.

But now I do Windows Backup to just once a week, between my manual copy database and folder to external hard drive and export ENXE... (I need a big external Hard drive, minimum 4TB)!

Archived