Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version

I just updated to EN as the app has told me to.  I did this last night.  Now when I tried to open the app today, I received this error: Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version.

Apparently this is not the first time this has happened.  The version was suggested by the app itself, and I don't have beta released enabled.

I just now downloaded the app from their website, which was a few points newer that the one in their auto app update system.  That seems to have solved it.  Why is the version on the web site different than the version being pushed out via the in app software update?

Also, what if I was using the Mac App Store version, I suspect then I would be screwed or forced to remove EN, and install the downloadable version.  Honestly, EN's app in the app store should be a small app that does nothing more than install and download the version that is the non app store version.  Or create parity between the two and sandbox the web downloadable version.  I suspect we will not be able to rely on those version for much longer as Apple will force apps to be sandboxed as if they were in the app store regardless of whether you put your app in the app store or not.

Also, on the Mac, am I alone in that selecting a notebook does not bold the item you have selected.  See attached image, I am selected on the Misc notebook but there s no way to tell at a glance other than looking at the top of the actual list of files.  Every app I have used that has a list has some way of letting you know that you are selected on an item.  The only thing I can think is perhaps EB is using a non standard font that I don't have and the list font is being converted, and I don't have a bold version, or maybe they use italics, I have never seen it marked out in any way.

Anyone else notice this and are annoyed by it, or is it just me?

Then again, EN's inability to clip a "bookmark" and make a thumbnail that is square and not chopped from the top left instead of centering the crop — I emailed this in as a bug and was told it works as intended and I should file a feature request.  Really?  Go to any website that makes square thumbnails, they will all crop to the smallest edge then trim equal amounts from each side to make a cropped and centered image.  Instagram, what if they cropped how EN did, or reddit thumbnails?  This is not a feature request, this is bug, and should be marked as so.

post-252605-0-71777800-1436724254_thumb.

• Level 5*

I just updated to EN as the app has told me to.  I did this last night.  Now when I tried to open the app today, I received this error: Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version.

Apparently this is not the first time this has happened.  The version was suggested by the app itself, and I don't have beta released enabled.

I just now downloaded the app from their website, which was a few points newer that the one in their auto app update system.  That seems to have solved it.  Why is the version on the web site different than the version being pushed out via the in app software update?

I have seen this issue reported by other users.  It's not clear to me what causes it.

You asked:  "Why is the version on the web site different than the version being pushed out via the in app software update?"

Excellent question, one that only Evernote can answer.

This looks like a bug to me.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I do, however, near every time I open a support ticket, they call my bug reports feature requests.  For example, what is your opinion on this issue:

using the web clipper, hopefully in Safari, clip a page and set the clipper to "bookmark" style.  This will grab an image off the page, I'm not sure what also they use to determine the image to grab, personally,with the hi-res retina stuff out there, a perfect image to grab for a bookmark, one that is already square, is the favicon.ico file, these days, that file has plenty of resolution.  Further, they could accept a html meta tag of something like <link rel="bookmark icon" href='https://www.example.com/media/img/this-one.jpg'/> then, we as creates of websites, just add that meta tag to ur sites, and every EN user will get the image that the site creator desires to be clipped.

Ok, with the bookmark made using the web clipper, they have to convert what is almost never a square image, into a square thumbnail for the EN bookmark style web clipping. They are cropping to square, but basing it on the 0,0 position of the upper left. Usually, what instagram, reddit, etc, do, is take the shortest edge of the image, scale that down to the max width or height you want to use.  Now you have an image that is either too wide, or too tall.  Simply crop evenly from the top and bottom or left and right, and you get a square image.  I have wrote code that does this, and I have made the same bug they are by accidentally dividing by the wrong edge, it can get a little confusing as every image is a different size.

I reported this, and they said, thanks, we will add that as a feature request, and this is not the only time what I consider a bug being tossed off as a feature request.

I think EN released an update over the weekend that totally broke my version, that is a bad release date time, and I think they need better QC, how did they not catch that.  I would love to beta test for eN, but I just don't trust them with my data to not corrupt it and break it.  Managing two EN's would probably;y be too hard and break too much.  I am thinking I may be able to use Docker and containerize EN per version.

In YOUR OPINION, and anyone else reading this, what do you think? Bug or feature request on the cropping for bookmarks in EN?  I call it a bug.

I mean, is it just me, or are the notebooks listed on the left in a very light font, and when selected, do not bold.  Any email client has the same left right panel, and when you click on a folder, even in gmail on the web, it will bold that folder so you know where you are.

Take a look at this two screenshots, I have no idea how EN decided to grab the bridge image, it is way down on the page, and I have no idea how they determined cropping, as it makes no sense at all.  I consider this a bug, a small one, but in thumbnail views, that thumbnail is much better than the best search, quick visual que and you can see at a glance what you are looking for.

Thanks for any comments from all of you.

http://i.imgur.com/nNnODhK.png

http://i.imgur.com/mkqgHEl.png

• Level 5*

Well, this can get technical in a hurry.

Technically, a "bug" is software code that does not behave as required by design documents, or produces some unintended effect.

To us users, whether it's a bug or bad design, the effect is the same.

I can certainly agree that the way Evernote handles thumbnails is far from what is desired/expected in most cases.

I also agree that sometimes the feedback we get from a bug report is frustrating.  But the more bug reports on the same issue that are submitted the more likely that Evernote take action to fix it.  All we can do is submit the bug reports, make posts in the thread for each new release that does not fix the bug, and hope for the best.

Now there is one more tool your can use to pressure Evernote to fix bugs:  Twitter

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.  You could even create a hashtag for your bug.  

Now there is one more tool your can use to pressure Evernote to fix bugs:  Twitter

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.  You could even create a hashtag for your bug.  

Agreed 100%, and tank you for the twitter idea, getting it public like that is also a good motivator to at least get an answer.  I hope to have some time soon, I cab;t use oneNote, there is no way I am waiting 2 minutes to launch an app, and no tag searching, show stoppers, not to mention you essentially need an always on connection or the app isn't as useful.

I really don't like any of the others, I could almost hack an IMAP email account to be EN, but IMAP really never was made to be read/write, which is why it's almost impossible to edit an IMAP message post facto sending.  Hopefully I have some time and can prototype my own little notes application.

Thanks again for the reply and suggestion, great ideas.

Archived