Pop-up Notice to upgrade to Premium

Since the latest update to my Windows desktop software for Evernote, I now get these annoying pop-up notices every few hours asking if I want to upgrade to Premium.  Please either get rid of this altogether in the next update or at least reduce the frequency to once a month or something reasonable.  If this keeps going on, I might have to delete my Evernote account.

Since the latest update to my Windows desktop software for Evernote, I now get these annoying pop-up notices every few hours asking if I want to upgrade to Premium.  Please either get rid of this altogether in the next update or at least reduce the frequency to once a month or something reasonable.  If this keeps going on, I might have to delete my Evernote account.

So glad I am still using Evernote 4.6.7.8409 for Windows! It just works: no hassle, no pop-ups and still has a little color!

Premium member since 2009

I came here to post the same question.  I will have to uninstall Evernote if this pop-up does not stop appearing every few hours.

What version are you running? This was a bug in 5.8.12 and should be fixed in 5.8.13 (the current release)

I came here to post the same question.  I will have to uninstall Evernote if this pop-up does not stop appearing every few hours.

What version are you running? This was a bug in 5.8.12 and should be fixed in 5.8.13 (the current release)

Oh, thanks!  I just updated again today to 5.8.13, and I did notice that I haven't seen the popup since I posted this note this morning.  Good job!

I have the very latest version and it's still coming up, how can I disable this?

I don't want Premium, I'm a light user and I don't want to be pestered about upgrading because I'm using 500KB of their precious server space and they'd rather I paid for it.

There are alternatives out there and I will move if I have to.

I've been using Evernote for free since 2009 because I use it very basically - for text notes only. The free option just works for my needs. This upgrade offer pop-up is REALLY annoying. Why would Evernote care about losing a long-time, non-paying user? No idea. But, it's annoying enough for me to look for alternatives.

I'm looking at OneNote as a replacement (http://www.onenote.com).

Do you know if it has a quick launch button on the Android app homepage that will let me record my voice for an audio note?

I like the quick link for when I'm driving and want to make a quick note. The noise environment is often such that transcribing my voice into text is unrealistic, and I'd prefer recording the raw audio.

It would seem their previous "business model" was not all that successful, if they are needing to be more aggressive about getting paying customers.  Lots of people have threatened to move to Onenote...if the ads are so bothersome but you're not willing to pay for EN, then I say go for it.

As someone who paid for Evernote for several years and has since moved away from it (to Onenote), I would say it's annoying as heck to see so many free users complaining about having to pay for the service b/c of ___  (fill in the blank with your grievance).  Do you honestly think any company is going to lose sleep over losing non-paying customers...???

It would seem their previous "business model" was not all that successful, if they are needing to be more aggressive about getting paying customers.  Lots of people have threatened to move to Onenote...if the ads are so bothersome but you're not willing to pay for EN, then I say go for it.

As someone who paid for Evernote for several years and has since moved away from it (to Onenote), I would say it's annoying as heck to see so many free users complaining about having to pay for the service b/c of ___  (fill in the blank with your grievance).  Do you honestly think any company is going to lose sleep over losing non-paying customers...???

Can you explain your relationship with the Evernote corporation?

I'm curious as to how you received the "Moderator" title and to what extent your annoyance toward "free" users' complaints reflects the opinion of the company.

I'm curious as to how you received the "Moderator" title and to what extent your annoyance toward "free" users' complaints reflects the opinion of the company.

Me too, it's such a closed minded opinion too.

I've had literally no problem recommending Evernote to friends or in public forums so even though I'm not paying it is in the realms of possibility that one of the people I'm recommending your "great" product to will in fact buy it over the alternatives. Word of mouth is king with software. I'm quite active online in tech communities, don't underestimate what a non paying customer can do in a positive or negative way.

Me too, it's such a closed minded opinion too.

I've had literally no problem recommending Evernote to friends or in public forums so even though I'm not paying it is in the realms of possibility that one of the people I'm recommending your "great" product to will in fact buy it over the alternatives. Word of mouth is king with software. I'm quite active online in tech communities, don't underestimate what a non paying customer can do in a positive or negative way.

So one's negative impact is going to come in the form of, "Evernote helps me to sort of organize my life... But they have this annoying popup that appears every 3 hours or so..."

The worst-case scenario is a maximum of 4 popups in a very long work day... So as my introduction to Evernote (because one rarely gets to hear about Evernote on the web these days) I'm thinking... "Not bad, if it's that good and it's free, 4 popups a day is not that big of a deal. I'll take my chances." I argue that this sort of negative word of mouth is actually a positive thing for newcomers... Because generally newcomers haven't had the chance to develop a sense of self-entitlement not paying a cent for a product that adds to their life... and especially since they know what to expect from the outset.

I wouldn't overestimate the damage one can do to Evernote.

It's the type of popup really, I have a lot of things open and this bloody massive thing just come up over anything I am working on.

I also use Sublime and that has an alert to say if you like this product consider paying, I don't moan about this though because it only happens when I'm using the product.

In regards to your comment "Don't overestimate", don't presume to know what I would or wouldn't say and to whom. That's kind of irritating summing up a strangers potential words.

Let's be honest here the ability to store notes is not something exclusive to Evernote there are many, alternatives and I really only tried Evernote as a gamble, I have zero loyalty to it. I understand Evernote does actually have some exclusive features and I would expect to pay for those, however I personally don't need them.

If I ever found myself needing them though and my circumstances change having a loyal user that hasn't been pissed off is going to almost guarantee a premium subscription.

In summary having a strong user base, whether it's free or paid is a good thing, that user base is spoilt for choice so treat them right and change this intrusive popup to an application contained one and do it soon before you lose too many users.

So you're holding back on your grievances and there's more than just the 3-4 annoying popups a day?

I can imagine my response was irritating... So you can disable email notifications for followup responses and/ or block my responses here in the forum so you don' see them. Let's be pragmatic here. But Evernote on the other hand...

So you're holding back on your grievances and there's more than just the 3-4 annoying popups a day?

I can imagine my response was irritating... So you can disable email notifications for followup responses and/ or block my responses here in the forum so you don' see them. Let's be pragmatic here. But Evernote on the other hand...

I believe I was quite clear, so see my previous posts. Especially the last one you've just read as it sums up why it's a problem quite nicely.

... don't presume to know what I would or wouldn't say and to whom. 

I believe I was quite clear, so see my previous posts. Especially the last one you've just read as it sums up why it's a problem quite nicely.

Exactly... you were perfectly clear. Thus, I imagine all you would really be able to give a bad review on would be the popup thing. Or is there something else? Have my presumptions gone beyond the bounds of what you've written in your previous posts? 

Back to this:

I don't think 3-4 popups over the period of a day is a biggie. Nor would it be a deterrent to newcomers, considering what is up for grabs with the Basic, Free Evernote plan. 

When it comes to what Evernote and other apps have to offer, we are not exactly "spoilt for choice", as you say. OneNote is the only clear alternative at this point and is creeping up somewhat to Evernote's capabilities. Let's see how/ if they integrate Wunderlist, which they've just bought.

Happy Evernoting! 

You don't think it is a problem, opinion noted but as this topic is about me and others believing it is a problem. Kindly leave it be.

Just to re-iterate:

It's the type of popup really, I have a lot of things open and this bloody massive thing just come up over anything I am working on.

I also use Sublime and that has an alert to say if you like this product consider paying, I don't moan about this though because it only happens when I'm using the product.

Let's be honest here the ability to store notes is not something exclusive to Evernote there are many, alternatives and I really only tried Evernote as a gamble, I have zero loyalty to it. I understand Evernote does actually have some exclusive features and I would expect to pay for those, however I personally don't need them.

If I ever found myself needing them though and my circumstances change having a loyal user that hasn't been pissed off is going to almost guarantee a premium subscription.

In summary having a strong user base, whether it's free or paid is a good thing, that user base is spoilt for choice so treat them right and change this intrusive popup to an application contained one and do it soon before you lose too many users.

On top of that alternatives include:

Google Keep

Simplenote

Trello

OneNote

and the old trusty pad and paper

That's just to name a few, I could go on but I don't think there is any need.

• Level 5*

Functionally comparable grouping for sure, particularly the last one..

On top of that alternatives include:

Google Keep

Simplenote

Trello

OneNote

and the old trusty pad and paper

That's just to name a few, I could go on but I don't think there is any need.

Free alternatives. If I needed the extra cool functionality of Evernote I'd have to pay, which I haven't and don't currently need. Comparatively to Evernote Free, they are alternatives.

Trello is particularly good out of those, I'm not entirely sure why I stopped using it.

I registered on the forums just to comment on this - I've been using Evernote for at least 6 or 7 years and am sad to see it go.  I can't keep the product installed on my PC with the constant popup, it interrupts presentations and is obnoxious.  I'll just muddle along with the web version for a bit until I can find a good product to migrate to.

I registered on the forums just to comment on this - I've been using Evernote for at least 6 or 7 years and am sad to see it go.  I can't keep the product installed on my PC with the constant popup, it interrupts presentations and is obnoxious.  I'll just muddle along with the web version for a bit until I can find a good product to migrate to.

That's another good example of how bad this type of popup is, running a presentation in front of colleagues and then boom, obnoxious Evernote wants to interrupt!

We just pushed a fix for the problem where the upgrade prompt shows in an infinite loop on Windows. You may see the prompt one more time, but then you should be able to dismiss it forever.

If you see it again after that final dismissal, please holler in this thread and I'll see the message immediately.

I came here because the Evernote popups urging me to upgrade annoy me and I can't turn them off. 

What I take from this thread is that I'm stuck with these popups, even though I have no intention EVER of upgrading to premium Evernote because I don't need any extra bandwidth.  I'm running the latest version - 5.8.13.8152 and the popups still happen.

Gee, thanks for the appreciation, Evernote.

• Level 5

I came here because the Evernote popups urging me to upgrade annoy me and I can't turn them off. 

What I take from this thread is that I'm stuck with these popups, even though I have no intention EVER of upgrading to premium Evernote because I don't need any extra bandwidth.  I'm running the latest version - 5.8.13.8152 and the popups still happen.

Gee, thanks for the appreciation, Evernote.

You don't have to upgrade to Premium

See Nancy M post #27

Evernote fixed the problem.

• 1 month later...

I am already subscribed to Evernote as a PLUS user. When I attach files to my notes I am often invited to upgrade to Premium and this is REALLY annoying. Can someone help advise on how to stop this?

I am getting the message " Evernote Premium : Document search.... PDFs are all searchable when you get evernote premium...."

I am running 5.8.13.8152 (276152) Public on Windows 10.

Thanks.

post-120438-0-39410700-1441096834_thumb.

• 2 months later...

We just pushed a fix for the problem where the upgrade prompt shows in an infinite loop on Windows. You may see the prompt one more time, but then you should be able to dismiss it forever.

If you see it again after that final dismissal, please holler in this thread and I'll see the message immediately.

Does this go for the OS X version as well?

• 1 month later...

These updates really need to be more streamlined. I know it's a free product, but cmon...

SOLUTION: How about if we decide to open the app, then it notifies us in the application?

In addition to the update notification that interrupts full-screen applications... (You killed me in Dark Souls...)
I have a tray icon pestering me all the time,
I have annoying clipper notifications when I start the program (many of us don't care about that feature)

Can you guys just back off? I uninstalled Evernote because of this.

I started using the cryptic, icon-filled, "simpler" web interface, and that's a fair tradeoff for your annoying update notifications!!

If I really wanted to, I could develop a hierarchical, XML-based rich text editor that just stores in my Dropbox, and it would be WAY MORE CONVENIENT.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I raised a ticket with Evernote support who then claimed they couldn't replicate the issue. Only when I sent in a screencast, did they acknowledge the issue.

They then told me that this not a bug or an issue but exactly how the application is meant to work, and offered no solution than to upgrade from PLUS to PREMIUM.

I'm sorry but this is a very poor response from Evernote. I can't understand why, I as a paid user, has to pay even more to not suffer pop advertisements.

I've started looking at Microsoft Onenote, which is free, and has no pop up ads. This would be a shame as I've been with evernote for a few years now.

• 3 months later...

I came to post the same problem. I gladly pay for a plus account and don't need premium. If I need premium in the future, I know how to upgrade. EVERY time I paste something to a note, it makes me move everything around in the screen to delete the pop up. It is even harder using an iPhone. Come on Evernote..get rid of this pop up so we can use your app. I don't pay for an efficiency app to receive these pop ups...counter intuitive. 

• 2 months later...

08.27.2016 Evernote is my go to app and I wouldn't leave home without it! I recently received a pop up that told me my premium Evernote was about to expire! Well I've never had a premium acct (not intentionally). What gives?

• 8 months later...

It's currently May 2017 and I seem to be having the problem that everyone here is. I'm a new user that came back to the Evernote account I quickly created a few years ago, and I've had the "Exclusive offer" popup appear no less than three times in the last 5 mins. I decided to trial Evernote for my needs tonight, but if this doesn't get fixed soon there's no way at all I'll be using it in the long-term, let alone paying for Premium.

Archived